American Westerns discussion

Recommendations for non-fiction books on early western pioneers (up to 1840's)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 4 comments Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on books about the early stages of the American western pioneers and settlers, who settled Kentucky, Tennessee, the Northwest Territory and midwest states, from 1760's thru 1840's. What are your recommended non-fiction books?

Thanks in advance

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Barraclough | 13 comments Border Life by Elizabeth Perkins, Daniel Boone by John Mack Faragher and A Way Through the Wilderness by William C Davis come to mind. You will find them on Google. This period isn't covered as well as the later, trans- Mississippi colonisation period, but it is interesting and there are some good books out there. Enjoy!
Chris

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Ney | 6 comments Greg wrote: "Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on books about the early stages of the American western pioneers and settlers, who settled Kentucky, Tennessee, the Northwest Territory and midwest states, from ..."

I like the books on Indian captivity from this era, for instance "Howling Wilderness: the Indian Captivitiy of Ollie Spencer" by Nelson -Rupert, "Captured by Indians" edited by Drimmer.

message 4: by Lowell (new)

Lowell Ross | 30 comments Bryan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on books about the early stages of the American western pioneers and settlers, who settled Kentucky, Tennessee, the Northwest Territory and midwest ..."
check the books " people of --" by micheal gear & kathleen o'neal gear

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 4 comments Hi, and thanks for the recommendations.

After reading Allan Eckerts' Winning of America series (well, 4 of the 6 so far), my focus has shifted just a little bit, to the more Southeastern US part of the move of the Americans westward.

I'm looking for books about early settlers who crossed the Appalachians and settled Georgia, Alabama, Mississsippi, Tennessee. And their encounters with the Creeks, Cherokees, Choctaws, Seminoles.

I have found two books so far, that seem to fit the bill.
Jacksonland by Steve Inskeep
A Company of Heroes, by Dale Van Every

Looking for 1-2 more like these.

TIA!