Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > December Monthly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now open for our December group read. Nominations are one per person. As there is no quarterly this month nominations are open to authors of any nationality. Authors cannot self nominate.

Nominations will remain open till midnight on Friday 27th GMT. For those outside Ireland that's:

NY - 7.00pm Friday 27th
LA - 4.00 pm Friday 27th
Sydney - 9.00 am Saturday 30th

Oh and please provide a link to your nominations page on Goodreads. Makes mine and Sara's lives so much easier.

message 2: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn As it's December I'll nominate Letters from Father Christmas http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73... by JRR Tolkien. I loved that we all read A Christmas Carol last year so I figured I'd go with something festive again.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

message 3: by Serf (new)

Serf Ah I loved that last year trelawn, would def pull it down for a re read

message 4: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Let It Snow Keeping with the time of year.

message 5: by Emma (last edited Nov 25, 2015 05:21AM) (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'm going to nominate The Nutcracker by Alexandre Dumas. It is based on the original story of The Nutcracker. It is also known as The Nutcracker of Nuremberg.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul I love Count of Monte Christo and The Three Muskateers and yet I never knew Dumas also did the Nutcracker.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Neither did I till I googled Christmas books. Dumas's adaption of the fairytale apparently formed the basis of the ballet.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Neither did I till I googled Christmas books. Dumas's adaption of the fairytale apparently formed the basis of the ballet.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I am definitely in the mood for a Christmas book. Goodreads has loads of great lists, but they didn't inspire me. I decided to nominate Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Christmas, set in 1960's Ulster.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Emma wrote: "I'm going to nominate The Nutcracker by Alexandre Dumas. It is based on the original story of The Nutcracker. It is also known as The Nutcracker of Nuremberg."

Emma, I checked this book on Amazon and it is not being released until 12/15 and is $28 over here.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments An Irish Christmas: Stories by John B Keane is my nomination.

I am having trouble with my Goodreads. It would only allow me to add the book or the author. It also won't allow me to read reviews. Frustrating.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Under its original title The Nutcracker of Nuremberg it's more wildly available Susan.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Despite a slow start there are some interesting choices this month. The desire to do a Christmas book and not being able to choose A Christmas Carol is certainly making people think.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Emma wrote: "Under its original title The Nutcracker of Nuremberg it's more wildly available Susan."

It's only $3.99 on Kindle here.

Susan - I love John B. Keane's Christmas Stories.

message 15: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments So many appealing choices. I love the theme of Christmas :)

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I'm sorry. I just followed the link from Emma. Apparently it's just a deluxe version being released for the holidays. My apologies.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) No worries Susan. I will have to flag its availability in the poll as either way it may not be as available as some of the others but that's fine.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) No worries Susan. I will have to flag its availability in the poll as either way it may not be as available as some of the others but that's fine.

message 19: by Marcia (last edited Nov 27, 2015 03:44AM) (new)

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments Fort a sort-of Christmas book, how's about Hogfather. Hogfather

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder nominations close in 5hrs

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul I actually nominated that in my other group Clare. Great book :-)

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed. The poll will open shortly.

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The poll is now open. It shall close on Tuesday. https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.