Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Sara's 2016 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Oct 27, 2016 03:48PM) (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4571 comments Mod
I'm in this year for some bingo

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - Albert Camus The Stranger
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic - The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
B3: Classic of Africa - Heart of Darkness
B4: Children's Classic - Heidi
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - The Forsyte Saga

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s - The Odyssey of Homer
I2: New-to-You Author - The Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruiz Zafón
I3: Classic Play - Lady Windermeres Fan Oscar Wilde
I4: Banned Book - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Ken Kesey
I5: Published in the 1700's - Evelina

N1: Classic of the Americas - Death Comes for the Archbishop
N2: Short Story Collection - Dancing Girls
N3: FREE SPACE - Crossing to Safety
N4: Poetry Collection - Sonnets from the Portuguese
N5: Classic of Europe - War and Peace

G1: Published in the 1600's - The Tempest
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century - The Catcher in the Rye
G3: Classic Non-fiction - The Story of My Life Helen Keller
G4: Classic from School - Fahrenheit 451
G5: Published in the 1800's - Middlemarch

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - In the Heat of the Night
O2: Gothic Classic - Lady Audley's Secret
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania - When We Were Orphans
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic - Murder at the Vicarage
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author - Lamb in His Bosom Caroline Miller

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I like your planning, its what I did last year, fill the squares as I read thru the year. This year I've been listing possibilities and it is confusing, now I have to decide between equally good books, all of them I want to read, yet limited time (only a year) forces a choice.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge. Happy reading.

message 4: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Jan 10, 2016 08:26AM) (new)

Bob wrote: "I like your planning, its what I did last year, fill the squares as I read thru the year. This year I've been listing possibilities and it is confusing, now I have to decide between equally good bo..."

I intend to concentrate on the other two challenges and see how many of those books will also fit into this challenge. Then I will fill in the gaps with the random reading that I do or things I will specifically pick to work here. I sort of have an unplanned plan.

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Kathy wrote: "Welcome to the challenge. Happy reading."

Thank you, Kathy. Happy reading to you as well.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sara wrote: "...I will fill in the gaps with the random reading that I do or things I will specifically pick to work here. I sort of have and unplanned plan...."

Sounds like my plan -- kindof.

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

First book completed
B4 - Children's Classic - Heidi

message 8: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Your plan sounds just like my plan ;)

message 9: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I2 and O5 - glad I am trying for a black out because my squares are all over the place:

The Shadow of the Wind 4-stars
Lamb in His Bosom 5-stars

Off to a great start on enjoying my 2016 reads.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Sara, I started "Lamb" yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I'm only about 6 chapters in, but it's looking like a 5-star read already.

message 11: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Sara, I started "Lamb" yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I'm only about 6 chapters in, but it's looking like a 5-star read already."

I had the same reaction--knew it was going to be wonderful right from the beginning. anxious to discuss it.

message 12: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

N5: Classic of Europe War and Peace completed 1/18.

message 13: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
War and Peace a major accomplishment, congrats.

message 14: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I second Bob's sentiment. Congrats.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Sara you have completed W&P just in time to see the beginning of its broadcast on cable.

I don't have a TV, but my sis is recording it for me.

Woot! Can't wait to see it!

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

What -- where have I been? I'm going to check it out. And congrats Sara on the W&P!

message 17: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Thank you Bob and Sylwia.
Andrea--I was so glad I came across a mention of this in a group discussion. I would have missed it otherwise.

Kathy--starts tonight on History channel.

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Sara wrote: "N5: Classic of Europe War and Peace completed 1/18."

Well done!

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Thank you, Pink. Now that W&P is done, I feel empowered.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments So you should. I still haven't started it and I already feel defeated!

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: Murder at the Vicarage

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: Murder at the Vicarage"

I have noticed several people currently reading Agatha Christie. She is a true favorite of mine. I'm currently reading The Murder on the Links, also for my Bingo O-4.

message 24: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I noticed that as well. This book introduced Miss Marple. I had read very little Christie before this one and I believe I will try to squeeze some of her other books into my schedule. Let me know if Murder on the Links should be one of them.

message 25: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Bob wrote: "Sara wrote: "O4: Mystery or Crime Classic: Murder at the Vicarage"

I have noticed several people currently reading Agatha Christie. She is a true favorite of mine. I'm currently reading The Murder on the Links, also for my Bingo O-4. "

I enjoyed Murder at the Vicarage very much. I haven't read The Murder on the Links yet. I'm planning to read Death on the Nile for that square in my bingo challenge.

message 26: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express are two of the titles I think I ought to read. I read And Then There Were None years ago and remember enjoying it quite a lot.

message 27: by Sylwia (last edited Jan 29, 2016 02:57PM) (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I just read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and loved it. Heard the The A.B.C. Murders is good.

message 28: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments I may choose Murder on the Orient Express for my classic mystery square. I read so many Christie novels when I was young, I can't believe I never read it. And Then There were None is the best. I reread it last year and still enjoyed it.

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You could probably do a year of reading Christie before you ran out of them. She has her reputation for a reason.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I did a year of reading Christie last year - read all 80 (I think) novels and (UK) short story collections. Most of them were brilliant, although I did come across the occasional stinker (Passenger to Frankfurt and Postern of Fate). My favourites were And Then There Were None, Death on the Nile, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and Murder on the Orient Express.

message 31: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Thank you for the heads up, Caroline. Amazing accomplishment to have read them all!!! As I will not try to read them all, I will definitely work the ones you have suggested into my plan.

message 32: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I3: Classic Play Lady Windermere's Fan. Loved it and would love to see it done on stage.

message 33: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Good to know. Me and Susie will be reading it in a bit.

message 34: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I'll be interested in seeing what you think, Sylwia.

message 35: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I'll be interested in seeing what you think, Sylwia.

message 36: by Desertorum (last edited Feb 06, 2016 01:01AM) (new)

Desertorum I have read lot of Agatha Christie years ago but just recently I learned that she wrote also with the name Westmacott and yesterday I started reading Giant's Bread. Should be interesting! Have you read any of these Westmacott-books?

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Desertorum wrote: "I have read lot of Agatha Christie years ago but just recently I learned that she wrote also with the name Westmacott and yesterday I started reading Giant's Bread. Should be interes..."

Did not know that. I wonder why she used the pseudonym. Were they early works?

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

I think when she used the Westmacott name she wrote something other than the mysteries/crime she was known for. Possibly romance?

Edit: Here's a link to an article about her if you're interested.
http://agathachristie.wikia.com/wiki/...

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I didn't know that either. Thanks for the info & link!

message 40: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Sara wrote: "Desertorum wrote: "I have read lot of Agatha Christie years ago but just recently I learned that she wrote also with the name Westmacott and yesterday I started reading Giant's Bread..."

It´s not mystery books like Caroline said. I would not describe the book as romance, even though it´s about relationships. I like the book so far!

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

G5 - Published in the 1800s Middlemarch Super book and checks off one more on my quest to read all of Eliot.

FREE SPACE - Crossing to Safety because it was such a wonderful book but didn't fit a single category I had open.

message 42: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

O2: Gothic classic - Lady Audley's Secret
This is actually classified as a "Sensational Novel" but I think it has enough of the Gothic to deserve that classification as well. Anyway, I am using it there unless someone tells me I can't. lol.

Once again, I have managed to land a book smack dab in the middle of everything and get myself no closer to a bingo. When I finally get a bingo, I should then start to bingo every other read. :)

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

LOL
Soon you will Bingo like crazy.

message 44: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

G3: Classic Non-Fiction - The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

Everyone should read this if only to remind themselves that when you are tempted to moan about the trials life has sent you, you have nothing to moan about compared to what this courageous young lady overcame. That she maintained such a positive attitude is not the least of her virtues. Amazing woman...an that appellate applies even more so to her teacher, Miss Sullivan.

message 45: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I read the same book for the same square and also for one of my Women's Century authors. I agree its an excellent example of personal courage and overcoming adversity.

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

We seem to have a lot of the same titles on our challenges, Bob. I did enjoy reading it, and the version I got had her letters at the end and it was so interesting to see letters she wrote when she was eleven and twelve years old.

message 47: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

B1: Written by a Nobel Laureate - Albert Camus' The Stranger

message 48: by Susie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments I have The Stranger on loan from the library but haven't gotten to it yet. I was planning to use it for my Africa square, but didn't realize it for the Nobel Prize square too...

message 49: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3582 comments I also got The Stranger from the library, and wasn't sure whether I should give it a try. I'm not going to use it for any challenge because I'm doing all female writers in my challenges, but Sara, your review has me very intrigued. I suspect I'll feel much like you did about it, and am anxious to read it now.

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Feb 23, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

If the idea of writing is to get others thinking, Camus does that. It is definitely the kind of book that might spawn a lot of different thoughts and challenges you to examine your beliefs. I'm glad my review made you want to read it. I'd love to know what you do think when you have.

« previous 1 3