Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Pink's 2016 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Pink (last edited Aug 18, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments BINGO CHALLENGE
Complete: 24/24

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate Waiting for Godot
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic The Island of Dr. Moreau
B3: Classic of Africa The Lion and the Jewel
B4: Children's Classic The Little Prince
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize Johnny Got His Gun

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s Apology of Socrates
I2: New-to-You Author Carol
I3: Classic Play Dancing at Lughnasa
I4: Banned Book Bastard Out of Carolina
I5: Published in the 1700's Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests

N1: Classic of the Americas Moby-Dick; or, The Whale
N2: Short Story Collection The Martian Chronicles
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow
N5: Classic of EuropeThe Metamorphosis

G1: Published in the 1600's Don Quixote
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century Bonjour tristesse
G3: Classic Non-fiction The Communist Manifesto
G4: Classic from School Hamlet
G5: Published in the 1800's Pride and Prejudice

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families
O2: Gothic Classic The Mysteries of Udolpho
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania The Art of War
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic Crime and Punishment
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author The Year of Magical Thinking

message 2: by Pink (last edited Apr 01, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments LEVEL ONE IDEAS
Four Corners

NOBEL LAUREATE
Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun Awarded 1920
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck Awarded 1938
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner Awarded 1949
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway Awarded 1954
Pincher Martin by William Golding Awarded 1983
Aké: The Years of Childhood by Wole Soyinka Awarded 1986

FOREIGN LITERARY PRIZE
The Name of the Rose Strega Prize 1981
The Hours Pulitzer 1999
Beloved Pulitzer 1988
A Confederacy of Dunces Pulitzer 1981

PRIZE WINNING FEMALE AUTHOR
Toni Morrison
Iris Murdoch
Doris Lessing
Sigrid Undset
Donna Tartt
Eudora Welty
Margaret Atwood
Alice Munroe

LITERARY PRIZE FROM MY COUNTRY (UK)
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie Man Booker 1981
Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally Man Booker 1982
The Famished Road by Ben Okri Man Booker 1991
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje Man Booker 1992
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee Man Booker 1999

to complete later...

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Great -- I'll check back and get more ideas for my Bingo too.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah For Whom the Bell Tolls was on my old and new challenge this year and I loved it.

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments As will I Kathy, it's great to get ideas from everyone else!

Sarah, I'm really looking forward to it, I've read most of Hemingway's other books, but I've been saving this one.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Any ideas for foreign literary prize winning books? Nothing from the UK and preferably not from the US or Australia either. I'd like to try something translated, but I have a hard time finding prize winning books in translation that I know anything about.

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Well. If you want to try a nordic book you can check out The Nordic Council's Literature Prize. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_...

The good thing here is that since it's a book about nordic books for nordic readers some of the books are aviable in english.

message 8: by Maarit (last edited Nov 27, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments A few the Finlandia -award winners have been translated into English as well. https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

Translated authors (and the books on the list of course) in English are Rosa Liksom, Sofi Oksanen and Johanna Sinisalo, so not that many. For some reason many of the books have been translated into German, but not into English.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Pink, I thought you were British (England) and thought Coetzee SAn.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Pink wrote: "Any ideas for foreign literary prize winning books? Nothing from the UK and preferably not from the US or Australia either. I'd like to try something translated, but I have a hard time finding priz..."

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco is the first one that comes to mind. It's translated from Italian and won a bunch of awards from all around the world. It's also one of the best novels I've ever read.

message 11: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Pink, I thought you were British (England) and thought Coetzee SAn."

The man booker prize is given out and seen as a UK award, but all books written in English (no translations) and published in UK are able to win it no matter the country.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Thank you for clearing that up Lesserknowngems!

message 13: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Thank you for clearing that up Lesserknowngems!"

It confused me as well when I first heard about a non-UK person winning. It's strange how Man Booker is seen as a national prize while the Nobel prize is not despite it being run by Sweden. -.- I'm not saying the nobel prize should be seen as a national prize, I just think it's strange. XD

message 14: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Lesserknowngems wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Thank you for clearing that up Lesserknowngems!"

It confused me as well when I first heard about a non-UK person winning. It's strange ..."

The main difference is that in order to win the Man Booker prize, the book has to be translated into English while for the Nobel prize the book can be written in any language whatsoever.

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Lesserknowngems wrote: "Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Pink, I thought you were British (England) and thought Coetzee SAn."

The man booker prize is given out and seen as a UK award, but all ..."

Yep! I picked some Man Booker choices, as there's a few previous winners that I want to read. It was previously just for UK and commonwealth countries, but now it's for all books written in English and published in UK. My choices are still quite multi-national.

Lesserknowngems and Maarit, thanks for the links above, I'll take a look.

Nathan, The Name of the Rose looks like a great choice for me. This is exactly the sort of specific info I need, thanks!

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I've had Schindler's List (Ark) on my coffee table for months, now I have my foreign award winner, thanks!

message 17: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "I've had Schindler's List (Ark) on my coffee table for months, now I have my foreign award winner, thanks!"

Oh yes. A great idea.

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Bob wrote: "I've had Schindler's List (Ark) on my coffee table for months, now I have my foreign award winner, thanks!"

No problem, I've had it sitting around for a while too, so I'll be glad to get to it.

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I've completed my first book and it wasn't in my plans at all. I've marked off my poetry square with Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Second book complete for my book published before 1600 Apology of Socrates by Xenophon

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Third book complete - Pride and Prejudice for my 1800 book.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Wow Pink! You're making good progress.

I'm jealous! :)

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Thanks Andrea, the start of the year is always much easier!

Fourth book for children's classic - The Little Prince

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Just realised that Johnny Got His Gun won a National Book award in America, so I'm adding it for my foreign prize winning square! 5 down, 19 to go!

message 25: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Completed my 6th bingo book for the play category - Dancing at Lughnasa Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have liked, but that's okay.

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I think we all end up every now and then with a book that doesn't quite measure up to our expectations.

And nice work on your Bingo so far. A bit like me though -- all over the board and no Bingo yet. Will happen soon I think.

message 27: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yep, all my choices are totally random and not near a bingo yet. None of them are from my ideas post either!

message 28: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4572 comments Mod
I'm another one that is bouncing all over and not near a bingo.
I agree with Kathy that we all come across those books that are a disappointment to us, and sometimes they are the ones that other people rave about. Hope the next one is a pip, Pink.

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Thanks Sara :)

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments 7th book complete - Crime and Punishment for my crime or mystery square.

message 31: by Pink (last edited Jun 09, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

message 32: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Pink wrote: "7th book complete - Crime and Punishment for my crime or mystery square."

Awesome - Congratulations!!!

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Oooh, did you love Crime and Punishment? Nice, long, somber read to help pass the winter days. Congrats.

message 34: by Pink (last edited Feb 15, 2016 09:16AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I did, but I ended up listening to an abridged audio version, without realising until halfway through. So it feels like an unfinished read to me. I got the main plot points, but as it was only a quarter of the length it should be (5 hours instead of 20), I didn't get the depth that I was expecting.

I hate abridged versions and now I feel like a fraud!

message 35: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Number 8: Bonjour tristesse for my European classic. I wasn't overly impressed.

message 36: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I hate abridged versions as well. Maybe you can do the full version later. I loved it, but I read it a very long time ago. I seem to find myself needing to re-read a lot of the classics.

I had never heard of Bonjour Tristesse until I recently came across an old movie of it with Debra Kerr. I was not impressed with the movie either.

message 37: by Nente (new)

Nente | 774 comments I understand Bonjour Tristesse was written when the author actually was as young as the narrator is. So while I wasn't impressed as well, I think I'll give Francoise Sagan another chance, sometime...

message 38: by Nargus (last edited Feb 15, 2016 11:10PM) (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Pink wrote: "I did, but I ended up listening to an abridged audio version, without realising until halfway through. So it feels like an unfinished read to me. I got the main plot points, but as it was only a qu..."

Glad to hear you liked it!:)

Aww, it's no fault of yours. We usually trust that we've got the right edition ... but maybe you can come back to it later in its print form and enjoy it in its entirety:)

Also, great list you've got here :) great job with getting a substantial number of them read!

message 39: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Number 9: The Communist Manifesto for my non-fiction choice. I listened to a librivox edition, which I found very good. It only took about an hour and a half, but you could read it quicker. Not as dry as I was expecting either and still relevant today.

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 25, 2016 10:14AM) (new)

Pink wrote: "Number 9: The Communist Manifesto for my non-fiction choice. I listened to a librivox edition, which I found very good. It only took about an hour and a half, but you could read it qui..."

A classic choice. I should read that.

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments Pink wrote: "Number 9: The Communist Manifesto for my non-fiction choice. I listened to a librivox edition, which I found very good. It only took about an hour and a half, but you could read it qui..."

I've been holding off on this because I was worried about how dry time may have turned it (I've read some enlightenment era political texts and they were extremely hard to push through at times). I'm glad I can use your experience as my test bunny! ;)

message 42: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Yes this one was easy to read and even easier to listen to!

message 43: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Number 10: The Island of Dr. Moreau for my sci-fi/ fantasy square. I found it quite boring, which was a shame because I thought it explored some really great ideas about humanity.

Still no bingo, I wonder what's the highest number of books to complete without hitting bingo. I think I'm going for this challenge!

message 44: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I'm glad I'm not the only one going for the no-bingo record.

message 45: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I have now 11 books read and no bingo...and the two I´m currently reading and using also for this challenge won´t get me bingo. Last year was the same, I probably read every square manageable before getting my first one (and I´m not trying NOT to get bingo ;) ).

message 46: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments The No Bingo Challenge is accepted! Lol
I guess the maximum number of books possible before reaching Bingo would be 16. We'd have to leave out two outer rows sharing one corner. Unfortunately it's too late for me to use that tactic.

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I love it -- We will have to see who gets the most books with no Bingo!

message 48: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

As I am reading without a bingo plan, this will be a trick of fate whether I lose or not. :)

message 49: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Actually, I guess the maximum number of books before bingo would be 20, not 16. :P But I am reading according to a plan, just not a Bingo-plan, and the books will fall where they do.

message 50: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Anti-bingo challenge accepted! Looking at my square I think I might be able to get 18 with no bingo, depending on which books I read next!

« previous 1 3