Rockism 101 discussion

BOOK OF THE MONTH > 1965: The Most Revolutionary Year in Music

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (last edited Dec 22, 2015 01:53PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Just finished this. I thought the research was really good. There were a number anecdotes that I had never actually heard before.
The narrative is somewhat chronological, going through the seasons of 1965. Anyone who is interested in reading about music from this banner year (which is me) should like this (which I did).
Here is a link to its Good Reads page:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin | 37 comments Aren't they too easily skating over 1959? Miles Davis' Kind of Blue came out that year, and the Armstrong/Fitzgerald Porgy and Bess. An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer,Cats by John Coltrane, Ballad of the Blues by Jo Stafford, Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come were just some of the highlights of that year.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments I don't know if I have a favorite year personally. 1967 jumps out as the year with debuts albums from pink Floyd, the doors, velvet underground, plus epic records from Beatles, Dylan, Kinks, The Who, etc.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Martin wrote: "Aren't they too easily skating over 1959? Miles Davis' Kind of Blue came out that year, and the Armstrong/Fitzgerald Porgy and Bess. An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer,Cats by John Coltrane, Ballad ..."

If I remember correctly, one thing they did skate over is a million and one garage rodents kick starting an entirely-too-brief era when pretty much anyone could pick up a guitar, make a record, and be propelled to 15 minutes of stardom.

Feh...

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Yeah, I don't remember reading anything about that either.
Dr. Detroit, do you have any books you could recommend that covers garage rock of the 60s? Its one of my favorite genres