75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2016 GR Challenge) > Andrea's - 100 books or bust!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
I'm keeping my goal for 2016, even though I won't make it for 2015 I can't help but try again!

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7443 comments Mod
Doesn't hurt to keep a high goal! :)

message 3: by Lacy (new)

Lacy | 5 comments That's a great challenge! Definitely worth trying for again in 2016!

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Thanks guys :)

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2587 comments You can do it Andrea!!! I have huge faith in you!!! :-)

message 6: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Awww thanks Dawn Michelle! After this weekends Readathon I am on a BIG roll!

message 7: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2587 comments WHOOOOO-HOOOO!!!!!

message 8: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

1. What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman 5 stars

I am so happy that I started my 2016 reading year off with such a wonderful book. I borrowed this book on audio from the library and I could not wait to get into my car to continue listening. This is a wonderfully written tragic novel that about two women and that endure great sadness and tragedy in their lives. I cried several times during this book and thought about it often enough that I would actually read it again. Some other reviewers commented that it was too sad and that took away from the story. Working in healthcare I know all too well that some people do experience more sadness then we can imagine.

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

What a great book to start the year off with!

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

2. Art of Layers Simple Techniques, Inventive Scrapbook Pages, Imaginative Papercrafts by Ronda Palazzari 4 stars

This is a great book for crafters. Scrapbookers and paper crafters, who are looking to expand their use of mixed media will find some great ideas. I had purchased some mixed media supplies but was looking for more inspiration on how to incorporate them into my scrapbooking layouts. This book also had other great examples to add a variety of embellishments and extra touches to give layouts a lot of interest.

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments Crafting books are such expensive reads and I don't mean the price of the books. It's the price of all of the supplies you need for all the things you suddenly want to do :) I get into the same trouble with youtube tutorials and pinterest, but I just can't stay away, LOL!

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, I know just what you mean. After spending money or supplies that I never use I've become good at only buying what I will use most of the time...hahah

message 13: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

3. Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes 5 stars

This was an excellent book! I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. I love the story and the characters. It was thoroughly thought provoking and a book I will be thinking about for a long time!

message 14: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

4. Easier-Than-Ever Scrapbooking Treasury by Jennafer Martin 4 stars

This was another scrapbooking "how to" book. This book was focused on being able to make layouts that take less than an hour. There were some good ideas for short-cuts in the book.

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

5. Fast Scrapbooking with 4x6 Photos by The Editors of Creating Keepsakes Scrapb 4 stars

This was another great book on "faster" ways to scrapbook. It was full of idea on how to easily use 4x6 photos in layouts without making a lot of changes. I think it would be a good book to own because I thought I had taken some good ideas from it but it will be hard to recall them next time I'm stuck.

message 16: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

6. The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) by Lemony Snicket 4 stars

I adore the Lemony Snicket Series! It makes me want to lie in a homemade tent and read away an afternoon. A book that can make you feel like a child again is wonderful to me! This book takes us to an academy where the children make some friends but Olaf has found them once again!

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

7. Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2) by Terri Osburn 3 stars

This is a fun romance series that I have been listening to while working on a project on the weekends. I'm enjoying it enough that I already moved onto the next book in the series. I'm also going to go back and listen to the first one when I get a chance. I like the setting and the characters are good "normal acting" people - which always makes for a nice read.

message 18: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

8. The Total Money Makeover A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey 3 stars

I want to work on paying off some of our bills and building more substantial savings. This book was very helpful and I learned a lot. I would like to read some of his earlier books that go into more detail about the envelope system and snowballing. There are some things I do not agree on but I also get the way he thinks and why that would work for many people. Several people I know told me his books are a little too religious. It was not an issue for me and I didn't find his religious references to be too over the top.

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

9. Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Tips and Techniques, Book 2 by Creating Keepsakes magazine 4 stars

I read too many scrapbooking books in a row! I liked this one because it had a great section on scrapbooking a memory when you don't have a photo! This is something that I know people struggle with and I have some great ideas about. Eventually I would like to do a video or blog about this so it was interesting to this in a book.

message 20: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

10. The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith 5 stars

I absolutely loved this book! I listened to it as audio and it was excellent from beginning to end! I am so excited to see that there are already two more books in the series available. I have not been this excited about a series since I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I cannot wait to see what is going to happen with Cormoran and Robin. I took a quick peek at the summary for book #3 and I saw Robin is still part of the series which makes me extremely happy.

message 21: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

11. The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6) by Lemony Snicket 4 stars

This book was overdue and I had only read 50 pages. I literally sat in my car so I could finish it outside of the library! I really enjoy these fun little books but I think I read it to close to the last one so I was kind of bored with the story line - I still love it though! In this book the children have been adopted and they are living in a crazy penthouse.

message 22: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

12. Scraplifting Inspirations by Leisure Arts, Inc. 4 stars

This book had some great idea's on how to make layouts for particular events like birthdays and holidays. It was good but I think I would need to own it to get use out of all of the ideas.

message 23: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

13. Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner 5 stars

Wow, this was a Jennifer Weiner book? I love Jennifer Weiner and all of her books but this just felt like a different kind of book from her usual writing. I was so invested in this story from beginning to end. I know it got mixed reviews but for me it was great! I love the story, it wasn't just fluff. There were serious issues and well developed characters. I loved how the characters were brought to life with their flaws and realistic problems. I'm really impressed with this book and hope we see more of this type of story from her! Way to go Jennifer!!

message 24: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

We are in the middle of reviews at work and I've been reading some but not a lot. I just posted reviews on all the books I have read so far and I'm thrilled I'm only one book behind from where I should be :)

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "3. Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes 5 stars

This was an excellent book! I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. I love the story and the characters. It was tho..."

This is definitely in my TBR and they're making a movie adaptation that comes out this year!

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "We are in the middle of reviews at work and I've been reading some but not a lot. I just posted reviews on all the books I have read so far and I'm thrilled I'm only one book behind from where I sh..."

You're doing well, Andrea! A great start to the year!

~☆~Autumn♥♥☔ Good job! you are way ahead of me! Hubby just called from hospital! on phone now

message 28: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse, its a very moving book.

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Wow!! Look at you! You are killing your challenge this year!! Way to go!! :)

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments, I am determined to finish the challenge this year!

message 31: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

14. After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes 4 stars

I'll be the first to admit that I was not expecting a lot from the second book in this series. I had accidently read some reviews, I try not to read reviews before I read the book for anything. I don't even read the jacket on a book, it is always too much information for my liking.

Unlike some reviewers who thought the story went a little flat without Will, I truly enjoyed this book just as much. Sure, I missed Will too but Louisa is still a great character!

The librarian told me that she heard that there was going to be a 3rd book. That would make me very happy! I did look around for information about this on Moyes website but I didn't see anything. In the meantime I guess we just have to be happy the movie will be out this June!

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

15. Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3) by Terri Osburn 3 stars

I've been enjoying this fun little series. It's enough to follow that I can read it late and night or listen to the audio while still doing something else. I will probably read the other two books.

message 33: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

16. The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 3.5 stars

This book would probably be more of a 3.5 start for me. I loved the setting, even more so as it changed throughout the book. I really liked the main characters and the bits of their history that helped us to understand some of their situations. I think for me the arrangement of the stories prevented me from rating the book higher. I really liked all of the different pieces, I think it is just the way that they were arranged that might have made me not love it. It is a great book though and I recommend it, especially for book lovers!

message 34: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

17. Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson 4 stars

I finally got around to reading this book after having it for years. It's a fun book about dealing with change. It's told using mice as the characters and that added humor to the topic without taking away from the meaning.

message 35: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

18. Move Your Bus An Extraordinary New Approach to Accelerating Success in Work and Life by Ron Clark 3 stars

I borrowed this book from the library hoping to get some ideas for motivating employees and being a better leader. I took some good tips away and it was a fun read. I like the analogies related to the different people on your team and how they work at different levels. I would have liked more detailed information on suggestions for working with different types of people. There was some information but it was a little vague.

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

19. Elena Vanishing by Elena Dunkle 3 stars

This was a very good book written by an eating disorder patient and her mother. It chronicles several hospitalizations and 5 years of treatment. It was very easy to read and at times I didn't want to put it down.

message 37: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

20. The Shift One Nurse, Twelve Hours, Four Patients' Lives by Theresa Brown 4 stars

Having worked in the medical field for over 20 years this book caught my eye. I found it to be a very realistic account of what it is like to multitask your way through a hectic day in which so many people are counting on you to help them feel better. This is a great book that I think is very interesting for medical professionals as well as anyone interested in topics related to health care.

message 38: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

21. The Juice Lady's Sugar Knockout Detox to Lose Weight, Kill Cravings, and Prevent Disease by Cherie Calbom 3 stars

I found this booked to be packed with information about all the different types of sweeteners. I really liked the thorough information about how they impact your body. I think people trying to cut back on their sugar intake will find it helpful but probably a little too much information for people just starting out.

message 39: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

22. Inspiralized Turn Vegetables into Healthy, Creative, Satisfying Meals by Ali Maffucci 3 stars

I recently purchased a machine to make Zucchini Noodles or as many people call them Zoodles. I made a recipe after watching a couple of YouTube video's and I was just looking to see if I could find some other ideas that might work for me and my family. I was able to find a few more recipes that I would like to try.

message 40: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

23. The Grownup by Gillian Flynn 3 stars

Great short story by Flynn. I love her dark writing, it scares me but not enough that I can't read it!

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

24. The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom 4 stars

I gave been a fan of Mitch Albom's books for a while so I was excited to see t6hat he had something new out. I had a hard time getting into it but once I did I was glad I stuck with it. It is different then the usually kinds of books that I read but I really enjoyed it!

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

25. The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith 4 stars

I'm obsessed with Owen Quine and his sidekick Robin! I'm so glad that there is a 3rd book in this series, the hard part is waiting for it to come out. I enjoyed the first book slightly better but this one was still great!

message 43: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

26. My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout 4 stars

Sometimes you just come across the right book at the right time in your life and it clicks. This book was just a near perfect read for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Lucy Barton. It read as a simple story but it was not simple by any means. The author built the story in thick layers that added up to a beautiful story. This was my first Strout so I'm excited to read more!

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "24. The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom 4 stars

I gave been a fan of Mitch Albom's books for a while so I was excited to see t6hat he had something new out. I had a hard time ..."

Love Mitch Albom! Haven't read this one yet but I looooved The Time Keeper!!

message 45: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "26. My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout 4 stars

Sometimes you just come across the right book at the right time in your life and it clicks. This book was just a near perfect read for me. I..."

This is in my TBR. A few other members have read and loved it as well.

message 46: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Andrea wrote: "16. The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 3.5 stars

This book would probably be more of a 3.5 start for me. I loved the setting, even more so as it changed throughout the book. I really l..."

Hmmmm, this sounds really intriguing. I'm putting it on my TBR list.
Thanks for the interesting review!

message 47: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1362 comments The Cormoran Strike books are so great. I can't wait for #4!

message 48: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Charleen - I totally agree, I love Cormoran and Robin! I am listening to #3 right now and I was sad thinking this was the last one. I was so excited when I went to add it to my list and saw #4 is in the works!! I'm hoping it will be a long series like Harry Potter...lol

message 49: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

27. Big Girl How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life by Kelsey Miller 3 stars

I saw this book at the library and thought it looked like the an interesting "diet related" book based on intuitive eating. The book was interesting and I enjoyed reading it. The book was mostly about the author, a blogger living in NYC who spent her life yo-yo dieting. It covers the different methods she used to lose weight, some practical others a little scary. Readers also come to understand some of the events that may have let to her issues with food and body image - this was very interesting. Like other reviewers, I was a little disappointed in the lack of information about the intuitive eating process.

message 50: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

28. Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg 3 stars (probably closer to 3.5)

I started listening to this book on CD and about an hour into a 6 hour book. I was going to return it because the narration is driving me crazy!!! Between the completely flat voice of the reader and alternating narrators in different tenses I wanted to put it down - this is something I rarely do if ever!

Seeing all of the amazing reviews here I'm going to keep listening and hoping that the story gets better.

I did finish listening to the book and the ending was very good. I think there were so many characters in the book and you don't start to see the meaning of them until halfway through. It just made the book difficult and confusing for me. When that happens I become so focused on trying to figure out the "people" that I feel like I miss the story. This also may have been a better book to read then to listen. Otherwise it had all the components that make a great book; a good plot, interesting characters that were well developed, happiness, sadness, grief, travel, and more.

« previous 1 3 4