The Outsiders The Outsiders question

The Outsiders Internal Conflict
Maya Levine Maya Nov 24, 2015 10:21AM
Hi everybody! So my class and I just finished the Outsiders by S.E Hinton. I absolutely loved the book and I am so happy I read it. Towards the end of the book, Ponyboy was sick and had a concussion, and one of the Soc. Randy came to visit him. During this visit Ponyboy was saying how Johnny didn't kill Bob but he did. As the reader, you know this is not true, so I looked at this more carefully. In my perspective on the situation, I decided that Ponyboy must be going through an internal conflict. Internal conflict is a problem going through a characters head. His internal conflict is dealing with the fact Johnny is dead and he actually killed Bob, not himself. From a readers perspective, you can see why he might want to take the fall for his friend. Just like Dally took the fall for Two-Bit, Ponyboy must have wanted to be a hero for Johnny just how Dally was. Please right back with your opinion! Thank You!!

I agree with you! I think that this is a perfect example of internal conflict in "The Outsiders." It shows that Pony-boy is struggling with overcoming an obstacle in his thoughts (Johnny's death), and does not know how to handle the situation.
I like how you contrasted Dally/Two-Bit versus Pony/Johnny. This helped me to understand the situation better. Thanks!!

U 25x33
Maya Levine No Problem! I'm glad I helped you understand better! ...more
Nov 30, 2015 10:17AM
U 25x33
Tristan Sanchez Thank this was so helpful really saved me time on my project.
Sep 12, 2017 07:50PM