Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - December 2015 - Rhys Bowen

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) From the website:
Rhys Bowen is the New York TimesBestselling Author of the Royal Spyness Series, Molly Murphy Mysteries, and Constable Evans. She has won the Agatha Best Novel Award and has been nominated for the Edgar Best Novel. Rhys’s titles have received rave reviews around the globe.

Rhys currently writes two mystery series, the atmospheric Molly Murphy novels, about a feisty Irish immigrant in 1900s New York City, and the funny and sexy Royal Spyness mysteries, about a penniless minor royal in 1930s Britain. Her books have made bestseller lists, garnered many awards, nominations, and starred reviews. She was born in England and married into a family with historic royal connections. She now divides her time between California and Arizona.

Constable Evan Evans Series
Evans Above
Evan Help Us
Evanly Choirs
Evan and Elle
Evan Can Wait
Evans to Betsy
Evan Only Knows
Evan's Gate
Evan Blessed
Evanly Bodies

Molly Murphy Series
The Amersham Rubies
Murphy's LawMalice at the Palace
Death of Riley
For the Love of Mike
In Like Flynn
Oh Danny Boy
In Dublin's Fair City
Tell Me, Pretty Maiden
In a Gilded Cage
The Last Illusion
Bless the Bride
Hush Now, Don't You Cry
The Family Way
City of Darkness and Light
The Edge of Dreams
Away in a Manger
Time of Fog and Fire Expected publication: March 1st 2016

Royal Spyness Series
Her Royal Spyness
A Royal Pain
Royal Flush
Royal Blood
Naughty in Nice
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor
The Twelve Clues of Christmas
Heirs and Graces
Queen of Hearts
Malice at the Palace
Crowned and Dangerous Expected publication: August 2nd 2016

Happy Reading and Happy Holidays!!

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ooooohhhh!!! What fun! I've read the first Molly Murphy (and the prequel) and I've read a few of the Lady Georgiana series (my favorite) - so this'll be nice!

That being said, I don't really qualify these as cozies. (At least my definition.) I think they are a little meaty for that, I guess.

What fun!

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I am up to date on Molly Murphy and Her Royal spyness books except the last publication in each series. reviews on Goodread

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Have you ever read the Constable Evans series, Betty? How does it compare?

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments No, I haven't read it so I don't know. It is on my pile of TBR books

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7335 comments Just ordered A Royal Pain from the library! I read Her Royal Spyness forever ago and really enjoyed it, just haven't been able to make it back to the series. That's what I like about AOM, it's gives me a push to get back to a series.

message 7: by Grey853 (new)

Grey853 | 40 comments Rhys's Royal Spyness series is one of my fave series.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I've never read any of her books, but have AWAY IN A MANGER, so plan on reading it soon!

message 9: by Nell (last edited Nov 24, 2015 02:06PM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Have you ever read the Constable Evans series, Betty? How does it compare?"

The Constable Evan Evans mysteries are very good. I'm sorry that she stopped writing this series.

I'm a big fan of Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series. The Twelve Clues of Christmas is a clever take on the Xmas song and a very good mystery. I don't think you have to have read the previous ones to enjoy it.
The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6) by Rhys Bowen

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I also really enjoyed the Constable Evans series; they're somewhat similar to the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton, but better (imo).

I'm up to date on the Royal Spyness series, but I've never tried the Molly Murphy books, just a short story featuring Molly.

I also highly recommend The Twelve Clues of Christmas - it might be the best of a very good series.

message 11: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57440 comments All the series are great. I met Ms. Bowen in May and asked about the Evan Evans series. (She said she gets that question ALL the time.) She said it is very difficult to write two series on a deadline and couldn't handle writing three. However, she didn't rule out more Evans books, but not any time soon.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Only read one by this author, not sure about it. I will try something from the Molly Murphy series.

message 13: by Elise (new)

Elise Stone (eliseinaz) | 3 comments I've read at least the first book in each of Rhys Bowen's series and enjoy them. I just wish I had more time to read more of them!

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Just starting Away in a Manger (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #15) by Rhys Bowen Away in a Manger.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just requested the first Constable Evans book from my library via interlibrary loan. I'm also planning on reading the 2nd Molly Murphy and I have Royal Flush on Audible.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin Fincher | 64 comments I have read all her books. My favorite is the Molly Murphy series and I think it is so funny that the first series the character is Evan Evans.

message 17: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I have Her Royal Spyness on audio and will try to get to it in December - altho November and December really do fly!

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Had a migraine this morning so I started listening to the next book in the series, Royal Flush. Got so wrapped up in it that even after my migraine cleared up I could not stop. But my eyes are getting so heavy, I'd better quit.

My last interlibrary loan was the first book in the Constable Evans series, Evans Above. Excellent read, but her Lady Georgiana series exceeds all! Especially if the divine Katie Kellgren is narrating.

Kimberly Reads Books (kimberlyreadsbooks) | 83 comments The only series from Rhys Bowen that I've read is Evans Above. I thought it was a great read. It was quite similar to the Hamish MacBeth series from MC Beaton, as another reader stated, but I thought Evans Above was better.

message 20: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3839 comments Mod
I've just read The Twelve Clues of Christmas and it hasn't changed my opinion that I don't like a lot the historical mysteries at the XX century. Too much impoverished aristocrats, too much topics for my taste and not interested in the mystery. And the maid, sorry, don't talk about it...

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6) by Rhys Bowen

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7335 comments Just finished A Royal Pain and enjoyed it. I like the characters in this series and look forward to seeing what happens to them next.

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I really like the Lady Georgiana series. I just started Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) by Rhys Bowen Royal Blood. I also just requested the second Molly Murphy from the library Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2) by Rhys Bowen Death of Riley.

message 23: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 71 comments Rhyes Bowen is very good. I think if you dont like one of her series you can pick another and enjoy it. I personally love her Constable Evan Evan's series. :)

message 24: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 4 comments Finally got Evens Above from the library this morning and polished it off during the evening. Having read several of her later Evan Evans works, I was interested to find that, unlike many series authors who introduce characters or places of importance in the early books but drop them later, Bowen has stuck with virtually all of the elements from the first book into the later books, including Bronwyn Price, Mrs. Williams, the pub, Betsy, the stores, the Everest Inn, Sergeant Watkins, the two chapels and the ministers and ministers wives, and so on. Betsy starts pursuing Evan in this book, and is still pursuing him many books later. Bronwyn finally kisses him, and they're still kissing many books later. And so on.

What it says is that Bowen has a good mind for setting up a set of characters and characteristics that have lasting power and value.

message 25: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments I have Away in a Manger to read, but probably will not get to it until January. Trying to finish up challenges from 2015,

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I read the short story The Amersham Rubies which I had on my Kindle. This was a prequel to the Molly Murphy series I think. I really liked it - enough to want to read more in this series.

I had read the first 2-3 in the 'Her Royal Spyness' series several years ago. They were amusing fluff but Molly Murphy struck me as more reasonable, less fluff. How accurate is that impression?

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Though I do prefer Her Royal Spyness, I do agree with your analysis. Molly is a little more serious. But, I really, really enjoy Lady Georgiana. Part of that is because of the time period, part is the "voice" of Lady Georgiana, and part is the humor.

message 28: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Leslie wrote: "I read the short story The Amersham Rubies which I had on my Kindle. This was a prequel to the Molly Murphy series I think. I really liked it - enough to want to read more in this s..."

Thanks so much for this information, I just went on Amazon and it is free right now as well.

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori | 25 comments I'm finishing up the last in the Royal Spyness series and am sad there is another till August. Have read the first Molly Murphy book and have the next two on audio to listen to. Have enjoyed this months reads so very much.

message 30: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Is it best to read the series in order?

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori | 25 comments Carla wrote: "Is it best to read the series in order?"

I think it would be okay because past murders aren't mentioned. And the characters are all pretty much the same except Queenie, I'm not sure which book she's introduced in.