What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 1960s YA short story anthology; includes historical fiction about L.DaVinci, a Medici prince, and a paper marionette. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fill (new)

Fill Corey | 5 comments Purchased book through school book order ca.1965; green paperback anthology of short stories. Story in question involved a Medici prince consulting with Leonardo DaVinci about his son's illness. While fashioning a paper marionette, DaVinci absent mindedly brainstorms a water filtration device, an underwater vehicle, etc. I'd love to ID the story, or even the original book (recently lost). Collection may have also included "Antaeus"/Borden Deal

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
I can't see the table of contents for this but it is partly green and published in 1968 - could this be it?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Here are a few anthologies containing "Antaeus" by Borden Deal:

from 1968
https://books.google.com/books?id=k8Y...

from 1969
https://books.google.com/books?id=jde...

from 1962
https://books.google.com/books?id=XT4...

You can see a few other of the stories in their TOC.

message 4: by Fill (new)

Fill Corey | 5 comments Lobster Girl, an "A" for effort, but that's a miss. The book I'm seeking was a "trade" paperback, sold thru one of those grade school bookclubs. Contained several very good short stories, and may have tended slightly toward fantasy/light horror. The DaVinci story is one in particular I'd like to ID.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

? There are some other images which are more green and less blue. Can't see the TOC.

message 6: by Fill (new)

Fill Corey | 5 comments I was recently able to identify another similar book that I have lost, also purchased through Scholastic Book Club. Titled "A Night in Funland", it is listed here on Goodreads. I may have transposed some of the stories between the two, but am still interested in identifying the short story about DaVinci and the paper marionette.

message 8: by Fill (new)

Fill Corey | 5 comments For anyone who might be interested, I have found my story & the original book. The story is "The Dancing Doll" by Gerald Kersh, and was contained in a YA paperback collection entitled "Stories of the Supernatural". For similar searches I would recommend the "Science Fiction & Fantasy" section at theStackExchange.com.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34474 comments Mod
Fill, thanks for the update. Glad you found your book.

Here's one book that contains "The Dancing Doll" by Gerald Kersh - Men Without Bones. If you have another book in mind on Goodreads, just post the link.

message 10: by Fill (new)

Fill Corey | 5 comments Full disclosure: it has been brought to my attention that I have probably conflated elements from two different, though similar, stories by Gerald Kersh. The other title is "The Ape and the Mystery", and also involves a conversation between a distracted Da Vinci and his patron/prince. I would recommend them to anyone looking for an entertaining, apocryphal portrayal of inventiveness, innovation, and the "engineering mind".