What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books for High School Novel Study?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma | 35 comments I've been assigned an independent novel study in 10th grade English Honours class and I'm looking for some options? Our teacher has told us that we're not doing a critical analysis of the story, so I'm assuming a more creative interpretation will be requested of us, but she still hasn't told us much. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Kaion (last edited Nov 24, 2015 10:00AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments Are you looking for something in particular? Does it have to be a classic? Literary fiction, etc? It seems like this is a chance for you to choose a type of book that you wouldn't normally get read for English class.

Anyway, here some books which I think might lend themselves well to interpretative study:
Cat's Cradle
Kindred
Briar Rose
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Passing
Kitchen
The History of Love
Deathless

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Alternate history suggestions:

His Majesty's Dragon--first book in a series, set in Napoleonic War era. The big difference--dragons are real, and are a part of the military of the various countries of the world. And they vary in size from single person, fast dragons to dragons that are the size of a ship-of-the-line with a full crew, cannons etc.

The Shadow of Albion set around 1800, in a world where there was no rebellion against England. 2 books in this series. Unfortunately, Ms. Norton passed away before the third book in the series could be written.

1632 this one is more a "what happens if someone (or in this case, an entire town) gets thrown back into the past." It's the first book in an entire series, all dealing with the repercussions of that occurrence.

Lord Darcy set in a world much like ours--except that Richard the Lionheart did NOT die at Againcourt, John Lackland never became king after Richard's death, and the Plantagenet's still rule England and France. Plus magic works. Think Sherlock Holmes where Watson is actually a mage instead of a doctor and you'll have an idea of what the stories in this collection are like. (Oh, and Sherlock actually LIKES women also)

Times Without Number The Spanish Armada didn't run into that pesky hurricane and the Spanish Empire never ended.