Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) Winter discussion

Fairy Tales in Winter

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth Roman Apart from "Snow White" did anyone spot any other fairy tales?

I noticed "Snow White and Rose Red" because of the friendship between Winter and Scarlet and their goal to tame the wolf solders. In "Snow White and Rose Red" the two sisters befriend a bear who is actually a prince.

I also think this book, more than Scarlet, hints at "Beauty and the Beast" with the growing relationship between Scarlet and Wolf.

Nikita Cinder - Cinderella

Cress - Rapunzel

Kenneth Roman Other then those two. What hidden fairy tales have you seen interwoven into the story or stories?

Megan I noticed that Cress and Thorne kind of resemble Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled. I don't know if that was intentional or not though...

Belle I dont know if it was just me, but I saw a budding relationship between Iko and that Guard Kinney.
Dont know if that falls under a fairytale but I thought they were going to end up together.

ihearthawaii That does not fall under a fairy tale, and does no one realize that Scarlet was actually Red Riding Hood?

Belle Yes that was made obvious in the second book

Belle Yes that was made obvious in the second book

ihearthawaii But not everybody realizes it.

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Kenneth wrote: "Apart from "Snow White" did anyone spot any other fairy tales?

I noticed "Snow White and Rose Red" because of the friendship between Winter and Scarlet and their goal to tame the wolf solders. In ..."

I also see Scarlet and Wolf as Beauty and the Beast! and i really did like how Winter and Scarlet's fairy tales merged. It was genius!

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Fernandez This question reminded me of when I first saw the cover of Cinder, and without reading the synopsis, and not connecting the dots between the name Cinder and how the cover has a shoe on it, I thought it was about a cyborg assassin.
This is what YA literature is doing to my mind. Now I think all YA books are about kick-ass female assassins.

ihearthawaii Scarlet and Wolf isn't Beauty and the Best, I promise. I went to Marissa Meyer's book signing, and she said that her four fairy tales were Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Sow White.

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 I know what they are. I just see some aspects of BatB in their story. It's a book, you can turn it into whatever you want it to be.

Bonner I'm thinking.....

The Ugly Ducking and Hansel & Gretel. In Fairest, I believe there could have been a spin on the Ugly Duckling with Levanna being the Ugly Duckling and turing beautiful...albeit murderously crazy, nevertheless it does resemble an Ugly Duckling-esk quality.

The entire series could correlate to a "Hansel & Gretel" like theme with the entire cast of characters symbolizing the team of "Hansel & Gretel" and Levanna being the evil witch they have to destroy. Many things Levanna does are similar to the trickery, magic and manipulation of the H&G Witch. As always, at the end Good overcomes Evil and all live happily ever after.

Also, remember the fairy tale SnowQueen....When the coldhearted Snow Queen abducts a young boy, Gerda begins a magical and perilous journey to find him and release him from the Snow Queen's treacherous spell. THIS IS SO SIMILAR to Cinder trying to rescue Kia from Levanna.

I could keep going.....maybe write a few papers:)

Gabrielle YESSSSSSSS! Everyone here is absolutly correct! I just love how Marissa was able to focus on one story for each book/character but sorta camouflaged others into the series. Or maybe that was unintentional but our TLC fan brain are just looking for tons of possiblilities! LOL!