Support for Indie Authors discussion

Incredulity
This topic is about Incredulity
Archived Author Help > Facebook Ad Campaign Question

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kathy Zebert | 10 comments Does anyone run Facebook ads with any success? I'm looking for creative ways to market for those of us who have a limited budget. I just did a small ad to boost a post for discount on Incredulity through Amazon through the end of the week. I spent $10 ($5 per day) and posted the link to e-book on Amazon. I had better success than I thought I might, given my experience with Facebook. In two days, I sold 11 copies. If my math is right, that breaks down to a profit of about $12. Hey, it'll buy lunch for two days :D

I'd love to hear any strategies, tips, tricks on how to run a successful ad campaign there.

TIA!

message 2: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Ask Riley, he had a blog I was reading earlier and had something interesting to say about it.

message 3: by W. (new)

W. Boutwell | 157 comments As far as I can tell, I have had no effect with FB adds. Before my book was published they did not increase traffic to my website and afterwards I can see no effect on sales. I am either doing something wrong or I have not gotten to a horizon of effect from my relatively short and cheap campaigns

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Hill (kevinrhill) | 102 comments I am toying with closing my FB account and my blog.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments I wouldn't close them. I've definitely let my twitter die, but it's still there just in case things change. You are under no obligation to invest in them unless you feel there is a benefit.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments Kathy, you had success with a FB Ad? What did you do? I mean, on a $10 budget to sell 11 copies is pretty amazing, if you ask me.

Kathy Zebert | 10 comments Dylan wrote: "Kathy, you had success with a FB Ad? What did you do? I mean, on a $10 budget to sell 11 copies is pretty amazing, if you ask me."

I don't think I did anything special, but I've run a few before with a targeted audience. I just boosted the post, set my parameters, and watched to see what the results were. Facebook continues to change their algorithms on who sees what, making it really difficult to tell how to make it work unless you're in the marketing business... which I'm not -- uh, well, I guess I sort of am, only I don't get paid to do it and I'm just experimenting and hoping for the best :D

message 8: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments Hahaha... is the boost post option the one where it shows in other people's stream, or off to the side? I'm wondering which is more effective.

Kathy Zebert | 10 comments Dylan wrote: "Hahaha... is the boost post option the one where it shows in other people's stream, or off to the side? I'm wondering which is more effective."

I'm not sure, but I think it's in the newsfeed, because people "Liked" the post, and they weren't fans or friends of mine either. When you create the ad (and you can do it for $1), you can see how it will look to other people. I figured for $10, it was worth a shot. I've spent that much on dessert, and this didn't cause weight gain :D

message 10: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments I'll have to keep that in mind. And yer funny. lol

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments On my first book, I did 3 free days on Amazon and advertised for $100 on fb. I "gave away" 1200 copies. On my second book, I did 2 free days, advertised on the goodreads day only for I think $50, gave away 333.
Today I spent $50 on fb and selling for $1.99. I'll tell you the results when the campaign ends in 7 days. Also just paid $100 for Amazon for 20 days. I will advertise Goodreads free ebook giveaway if I can. FB has weird rules. I will update on all.

Kathy Zebert | 10 comments Mary wrote: "On my first book, I did 3 free days on Amazon and advertised for $100 on fb. I "gave away" 1200 copies. On my second book, I did 2 free days, advertised on the goodreads day only for I think $50, g..."

Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing what your results were.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Stafford | 230 comments Kathy wrote: "Does anyone run Facebook ads with any success? I'm looking for creative ways to market for those of us who have a limited budget. I just did a small ad to boost a post for discount on Incredulity t..."

Kathy, can you share more information on how you set this up? thank you!

Kathy Zebert | 10 comments Susan wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Does anyone run Facebook ads with any success? I'm looking for creative ways to market for those of us who have a limited budget. I just did a small ad to boost a post for discount on..."

Sure! ***USE GOOGLE CHROME*** (Other browsers don't give you the same options for a target market)

Sign in to your Facebook page.

Create a new post about your promotion. (Mine was a promo blurb plus the link to my sale on iTunes)

You should see a "Boost Post" button.

Click on that and fill in the form.

You can set it to target your fans, your fans and their friends, or an even bigger demographic (age range, occupation, likes, countries, etc.) ***USE CHROME***

If you don't already have an account set up to run ads, it's an easy fill-in form as well, and it takes only a few minutes. If you do, then set your OWN budget. It will fill in an amount automatically, but you can use the dropdown to set your own.

I'd start with a test post and smaller budget to see what happens. It takes a few minutes for them to approve the ad, but after it's approved, they will notify you and you can see if people are liking and clicking on your post.

I hope this helps. If something isn't clear, please feel free to send me a friend request and message me. I'm happy to help, if I can.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments Today on fb I spent $8, 1595 people saw my ad, 31 clicked it, I had 2 sales at $1.99 each, and 594 pages read.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments Today on Google Ad words I spent $1.43 and had 7 clicks to my website and 14,437 people saw my ad and name.

message 17: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Glover | 31 comments Charles wrote: "I wouldn't close them. I've definitely let my twitter die, but it's still there just in case things change. You are under no obligation to invest in them unless you feel there is a benefit."
That is amazing. I spent $150 and only had a few sales.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments Now I've spent $18.00 on FB, 3757 have seen the ad, 71 people have clicked it. Don't know sales today yet.
On Google Adwords I've spent $46.82 for the month, 186 ad clicks to my website for more info, 248,874 have seen the ad.
Today I have had nothing on KDP or sales, blank
I hope that means I will have a boost tomorrow
I've had 12 pageviews today, 348 this months

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Mary, what genre is your book? I've seen a few people have good results with nonfiction, but I don't know how effective Google AdWords is for fiction.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela Ford (aford21) | 18 comments With Facebook Ads I've found it's really all about who you are targetting. It also helps to copy the audience of a book that is similar to yours, people are much likelier to respond. I haven't tried Google Adwords yet, sounds like a great option!

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments I write historical romance novels set in 1880 old west

message 22: by April (last edited Nov 28, 2015 09:45PM) (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) I've had amazing luck with boosting FB posts. I ran a series of post boosts and analyzed the data and response rates to narrow down the most responsive target market for my book. Once I did that, I increased my ad expenditures for that narrowly-targeted ad, and my sales jumped 3-5 times, varying by day. (Sales jumped much higher on the weekends, which makes sense. People generally have more time to look at FB on the weekends.)

I'm still experimenting with boosting FB posts (ads), trying to get the hang of it. I found that the more money I put on the boosts, the higher my returns were. I started with $10 budgets (which didn't result in many sales), but when I increased my ad budgets to $50 and $70, the jump in sales was dramatic (and the increased sales MORE than paid for the ad investment, several times over). Now I need to learn where the ad budget sweet spot is. Yes, it's definitely working well for me.

April

message 23: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 193 comments April wrote: "I've had amazing luck with boosting FB posts. I ran a series of post boosts and analyzed the data and response rates to narrow down the most responsive target market for my book. Once I did that, I..."

That is very helpful April. Thank you!

message 24: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Catrina (elisacatrina) | 6 comments I actually do marketing for a living, and I gotta say, EVERYONE is just trying things and seeing what works. XD You guys sound like you're doing awesome!

For me, it's been hard to tell how many of my sales are friends/family and how many are paid reach, but my most recent ad set is a lot more about awareness than sales.

(I made a video ad, if anybody's tried those.)

message 25: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Stearns | 2 comments I understand that many people are moving to Periscope for the live streaming video. With it being linked to your Twitter account it really helps to launch any campaign. I have had marginal success with Facebook Ads though. I have better luck and much better reach organically through my circles in Google+ than any paid campaigns on Facebook.

message 26: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Has anyone done anything extensive with FB post boosts? I've started dabbling with them over the past few weeks and have had some really good success -- good ROI. I was just wondering if there's anyone here on GR that knows a lot about this and can answer some questions.

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Here's a webinar by author Mark Dawson and AMC creator Jim Kukral on How To Use Facebook Ads To Get Your Boooks Noticed:

http://www.selfpublishingformula.com/...

message 28: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Justin wrote: "Here's a webinar by author Mark Dawson and AMC creator Jim Kukral on How To Use Facebook Ads To Get Your Boooks Noticed:

http://www.selfpublishingformula.com/......"

Thanks, Justin. I'll check this out.

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Criswell-Carpenter | 44 comments I was not happy with my current results on my ad placement. I paid $100 on fb, $100 on Amazon, and $50 on adwords with just a yield of 123 downloads. Yes, I know I spent a lot of money. The first time I did this I had 1200 downloads, so my expectations were much higher than the results. I will not do this again.

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Okay, I just splurged my entire advertising budget ($5) on a Facebook ad that runs tomorrow, the objective being clicks to my website. It's first ad I've run for my books, and I did it mainly because I was curious to see how big a response I get. I might even sell a book or two.

message 31: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Ken wrote: "Okay, I just splurged my entire advertising budget ($5) on a Facebook ad that runs tomorrow, the objective being clicks to my website. It's first ad I've run for my books, and I did it mainly becau..."

Ken, I've noticed with Facebook ads that it takes little time for an ad to get traction. Running an ad for just one day may not give you enough time to see results. Also, which day of the week did you run it - that makes a huge difference. I find the most responsive days are Friday-Sunday, and avoid 1-day holidays. And in my experiences, $15 dollars in a day yields much more than $5. Right now, I'm running long-term FB ads, generally doing $7 per day Mon-Thursday, and $15 Friday through Sunday midnight.

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) It's supposed to run tomorrow (Saturday). My targeted audience is pretty narrow: men aged 16 and up, living in the four major English speaking markets, who like reading Science Fiction, and like Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, and/or H.G. Wells. I think that's my audience and I'm willing to spend $5 as an experiment to see if I get results. I don't expect to make the $5 back, but in the long run someone may add me to his to-read list.

message 33: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1102 comments Sexist! :P (kidding of course). I read Clarke, Asimov (2or3) and Wells this year. lol

message 34: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) ML Roberts wrote: "Sexist! :P (kidding of course). I read Clarke, Asimov (2or3) and Wells this year. lol"

Exactly. But the overwhelming majority of the reviewers of my books are men, and that seems to be my audience. I hate leaving anyone out, but, after all, $5 goes only so far.

message 35: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Ken wrote: "ML Roberts wrote: "Sexist! :P (kidding of course). I read Clarke, Asimov (2or3) and Wells this year. lol"

Exactly. But the overwhelming majority of the reviewers of my books are men, and that seem..."

Ken, you're right to target your primary audience. I target "women 18-34 yrs of age in the UK who like romance books." They are my most responsive audience by far.

message 36: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1102 comments Ken wrote: "ML Roberts wrote: "Sexist! :P (kidding of course). I read Clarke, Asimov (2or3) and Wells this year. lol"

Exactly. But the overwhelming majority of the reviewers of my books are men, and that seem..."

Oh, I agree about targeting, it's just funny because in the SFF GR group there is a discussion around are readers sexist. But I'll be watching SyFy Childhood's End coming up! :)

message 37: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Tamara wrote: "A bit depressing."

I looked at running an ad on GR, but it would be more expensive than running one on FB. I went with FB and had good success for less money.

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I had heard of bad results on both GR and Twitter, so I didn't bother. Went with FB because it seemed cheaper and with a targeted audience it promised better results.

message 39: by Chikamso (new)

Chikamso Efobi (cheexy) | 92 comments Justin wrote: "Here's a webinar by author Mark Dawson and AMC creator Jim Kukral on How To Use Facebook Ads To Get Your Boooks Noticed:

http://www.selfpublishingformula.com/......"

Thanks Justin... this has been very useful.

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Tamara check out the link I posted a few days ago on ads from selfpublishingformula, Mark Dawson explains how to make buttons and make it more presentable to phones.

If you want more detail you can shoot him a message and I'm sure he'd gladly help out.

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments Thanks for that link, Justin. I watched Mark's webinar and found it to be very informative. It's a pity the full course is now closed. I would very much have liked to do it.

message 42: by Ken (last edited Dec 15, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Okay, here's a breakdown of the results from my (limited) Facebook campaign. The budget was $5.00, and the ad ran Saturday, with the objective being clicks to my website. I didn't get enough clicks Saturday to exhaust the $5.00, so I let it run into Sunday afternoon.
Post reach was 1335; 20 people engaged, and 13 clicks to my website, for a total of $4.95 invested. Impact on sales: none.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Stafford | 230 comments Ken, does the click have to take the person to the website? What about directly to Amazon?

message 44: by Bekka (new)

Bekka I've tried several types of low-cost advertising for books and for other unrelated items. Google ads, ads on this site, etc.

By far, Facebook has been the most effective in terms of being able to target who sees my ads, the number of people who see the ad, and click through rates. Nearly as good as the person who spent $10 and sold eleven copies.

Two caveats:
1) In order to have success with FB ads, it's essential to go through and target the ad as described by several other people here.

2) I've taught marketing courses at the college level. Generally speaking, only about 5% of people who see an will respond, so don't expect super-high rates from any single source of advertising. Also, an accepted truism in marketing is that many potential customers have to hear about your product more than once before they'll buy - generally 2 - 5 times. Examples could include seeing your FB ad twice, seeing your FB ad and seeing an ad in Goodreads, or seeing an ad and hearing about the book from a friend. That's a little less true with e-books because they are low-cost to purchase, but it's still an idea to keep in mind.
With that in mind, it might be worth running the same FB ad twice to the same target audience on the same day a week apart. Say, run the same ad targeting people of a certain age in a certain region on Monday of this week and Monday next week - there will be the chance that some of the same people will see the ad both weeks and be more likely to click on the ad when they see it a second time.

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan Stafford | 230 comments interesting information Bekka, thanks for sharing

message 46: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Susan wrote: "Ken, does the click have to take the person to the website? What about directly to Amazon?"

It can be any URL you fill in during the setup.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Stafford | 230 comments Thanks Ken!

message 48: by Chikamso (last edited Dec 15, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Chikamso Efobi (cheexy) | 92 comments I set a Facebook ad up to the Amazon page for Twisted in a Positive Way and got 2300 impressions, I even included the fact that it was free with Kindle Unlimited but all I got were 50 clicks and no purchases. It cost me about £5. The ad ran for 3 days and I targeted it to one author.

I then stopped the ad for some hours when I took the book down to correct one typo I found and I have now set it back up, this time creating separate ads for US and UK and using the respective links. I also targeted it to authors similar to my book and narrowed down the age range based on the analysis I got from the previous ad.

I have set both ads to run from today till 23 December and will let everyone know how it goes.

Fingers crossed.

message 49: by Luna (new)

Luna Claire (lunasaintclaire) | 39 comments Bekka wrote: "I've tried several types of low-cost advertising for books and for other unrelated items. Google ads, ads on this site, etc.

By far, Facebook has been the most effective in terms of being able to ..."

Bekka, I took a course that said to do this you need to use the Facebook Editor tool, and you should have over `1,000 fans. I only have 150 fans so far--the book published in October... Should I wait before running one of these ads? What should the ad look like. I don't want a "Like" ad, I want to send them to directly to Amazon, not my FB page, or Web site....

message 50: by April (last edited Dec 18, 2015 07:26AM) (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) I run FB ads every day and have had great luck with them. You don't need to have a lot of fans on FB. I just reached 100 this week. The ads go out to FB users who meet your targeted profile. How many friends/likes you have doesn't really matter.

I recommend that you start by doing "post boosts," which turn into ads. But design your posts well before you boost them. My ads drive viewers to my Amazon book page. I provide links for both US Amazon and UK Amazon, as those are my two biggest sales markets.

« previous 1