The Outsiders The Outsiders discussion

dialogue-- how it reveals character

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michaelfischgrund There is so much dialohue between the Socs and the Greasers. Especially when there are fights between them. In my opinion, I think that fights are the best source of dialogue and the best source of understanding and learning about characters. For example, when Johnny stabbed Bob, it became obvious that Johnny was brave and caring. I say this because he cared for Pony (thats why he stabbed Bob) and he is brave beacause not a lot fo people have the bravery to kill someone, especcialy when soemone is under pressure or is panicing

message 2: by Alec (new) - added it

Alec Levi I agree. Also, there is meaningful dialogue when Pony and Johnny run away. When they are talking to each other about the poem, and with Dally about how Soda and Darry are and who their spy is. The most meaningful part is when they first saw the church in flames, and what went through their minds.

Michaelfischgrund I definetly see what you are saying Alec. There are so many quotes. Most of them are meaningful and that reveals characeter well. But that is different and the same at the same time. Mine is mostly about bravery and the traits that Johnny gains. Which is actual not perceived

Michaelfischgrund Another example of dialogue is in the beggining of the book. Ponyboy does use description to describe characters appearences, but he uses dialogue to describe characters traits. I think this is a unique form of techinque

Michaelfischgrund Another example of dialogue is in the beginning of the book. Ponyboy uses description to describe the characters appearances, but he uses dialogue to describe characters traits which is a unique form of the technique.

Michaelfischgrund I think dialogue is the main reason why I liked this book. S.E. Hinton uses so much dialogue, in a good way. This technique makes the book more realistic because people do talk a lot in real life.

Michaelfischgrund Another example of dialogue is in the beginning of the book. Although Ponyboy uses descriptions d=to describes characters appearances, he uses dialogue to describe characters traits. This is a unique form of the technique

Michaelfischgrund Dialogue is the reason of why I enjoyed this book. S.E. Hinton uses a lot of dialogue, in a good way. This also makes the book realistic because people do talk a lot in real life.

message 9: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Fader I think that the dialogue reveals the characters in the way that it shows the intelligence of the characters in Ponyboy's gang. It is easy to interpret what a character is like by analyzing the dialogue.

Michaelfischgrund Agreed Josh. Dialogue is the best source to interpret what a character is like. Especially when there may be a conflict with the gang.