You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > December 2015 - Always a Winner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments It's that silly time of year when everyone is busy and so we will keep the December challenge simple.

Read a book that was a 2015 Goodreads Winner or Nominee.

General Rules:
1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Serial Killer Challenge.
4. The book must be read between December 1 to December 31 (based on your own time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
6. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

There will be no points, this month. We're all winners.:)

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments Whats up, Goodreads? I went to the Goodreads awards page to provide a link, and they've taken down the nominees for the big reveal on December 1st! You may need to delay gophering. I'm really disappointed.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments This website lists the YA and Children's categories.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments I'm not sure if everyone has access to this page or just group members, but another group that I'm in has a Choice Awards challenge. All the nominees for this year are listed on this page with links to the book pages. For anyone that doesn't want to wait for the December 1st reveal to gopher: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments Love the challenge, Janice! Choice Awards are always fun.

I'm reading two of the nominees this month already: Winter and Career of Evil. I hope to finish them before December, so that I can pick out another for the challenge!

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments Awesome! Thanks so much Kristie.

I'm glad to read that you won't be penalized for that group's challenge if you read one of the books this month for our challenge. That group's mods aren't as mean as this group's, obviously! Hehehehe!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments lol. It's a super easy challenge. This challenge actually helps me out. :)

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Sounds likr a perfect time to read Uprooted

message 9: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments So many good books, this challenge will be awesome!

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I have a couple. Will have a look later at my options.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Nov 24, 2015 08:20AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments I had previous knowledge of this challenge *bats eyelashes*, and will read....

oh smartie pants me! I just realized that if I read Winter for this challenge, I can't count it for the serial killer challenge. I guess I'm ignoring my own rules, or least trying to ignore them.

Back to gophering.

message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1993 comments I just picked up The Water Knife from the library a short while ago, so it fill fit nicely here.

message 13: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments Sounds like a good time to catch up with Kate and Curran. I think I'll read Magic Shifts.

message 14: by Sandra (last edited Nov 24, 2015 10:14AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments I'd like to go with Trail of Broken Wings or Girl at War, both fiction nominees.

Great challenge, Janice. I'm so behind this year, I didn't read more than 2 o 3 nominee books. It would be great to read all the comments on the book from the group.

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Do let me know Camilla what you think of the water knife. I loved it.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments My options (I own wll of these):
The Skull Throne
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Aurora
The Deep
Also I'm on the list at the library for The Girl in the Spider's Web but i doubt I'll get it in time. Not sure which I'm going to read yet. Most are quite long accept the short story collection so i might oy be able to read this one and the group read this month.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Nov 25, 2015 05:15AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I own six nominated books that I haven't read yet:

An Ember in the Ashes
A Spool of Blue Thread
The Buried Giant
Carry On
The Fishermen
Uprooted

I don't know which one I will go for yet, I will just choose whichever one most takes my fancy come December.

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Thanks Kristie for the link, and Lynn for the work collating.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments You're welcome, Rusalka.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read for this challenge yet. I have so many of the nominees on my TBR.

These are BOM in other groups in December, so I might read one of these:
Carry On (own this one already)
Uprooted (not sure what the library wait is on this one)

I also already own these, so I might choose one of these instead:
First Frost
Red Queen
The Ice Twins
A Darker Shade of Magic
Orhan's Inheritance
Trail of Broken Wings

I just don't know!! I also really want to read After You, but probably can't get it from the library that soon. Too many great choices. I may have to do a random pick.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments I always forget, can the monthly themed read (or the toppler read) and the challenge read be the same book? It just can't count towards the yearly challenge, correct?

I didn't realize that the Kindle version of After You has a white cover. After You by Jojo Moyes

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments Exactly, Kristie. The conflict is challenge-challenge, but all the other combinations work.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments Excellent! Thanks, Sandra.

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 453 comments Hmmmmm

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I've read quite a few of the nominated books and have several more lined up to be read. I'll pick one for this challenge.

message 25: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Oh good! There are several I'd like to read. This is great justification for moving them up on my list.

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I had to add Uprooted since the author also wrote the Temeraire series.

message 27: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1993 comments Sarah wrote: "Do let me know Camilla what you think of the water knife. I loved it."

Yes, I noticed you had enjoyed it a lot. I have Aurora and The Deep on mt TBR shelf, but don't own them yet (I don't think they are available form our library), so I'll leave them for later.

message 28: by Ariane (last edited Nov 25, 2015 03:44AM) (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I feel like I need romance in my life right now, so I picked up The Air He Breathes

message 29: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Kristie wrote: "I always forget, can the monthly themed read (or the toppler read) and the challenge read be the same book? It just can't count towards the yearly challenge, correct?

I didn't realize that the Ki..."

I look forward to "hearing" your thoughts on After You.

message 30: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I'm going to read Aurora, very curious about it. I might also try Fates and Furies.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments I own several:

Trail of Broken Wings
A God in Ruins
A Darker Shade of Magic
Born with Teeth
Red Queen (which is in two categories)

Several more are on my wishlist. I may have to resort to the fruit machine

message 32: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Rusalka wrote: "Thanks Kristie for the link, and Lynn for the work collating."

No problem :)
I have to say putting that list together is a labour of love. It can become mind numbingly boring at times and it feels never ending when you're half way through!

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Janice wrote: "Whats up, Goodreads? I went to the Goodreads awards page to provide a link, and they've taken down the nominees for the big reveal on December 1st! You may need to delay gophering. I'm really disap..."

They always do this, hence why I put the list together. It's also easier for people to access for people on the app.

message 34: by Jayme (last edited Nov 25, 2015 12:13PM) (new)

Jayme | 2389 comments Thanks for the link, Kristie. I have two of the books on the fiction list Go Set a Watchman and Girl at War, so I will see which one I am in the mood to read over Christmas break.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48741 comments Lynn wrote: "They always do this, hence why I put the list together. It's also easier for people to access for people on the app. "

I didn't realize that you were the moderator of the group hosting the challenge. Thanks for compiling the list, and for letting us use it. It's been a godsend. :)

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Teanka wrote: "I'm going to read Aurora, very curious about it. I might also try Fates and Furies."

Have you read any other books by this author? I've heard good things about the Earth and Mars series but I'm holding off getting them until I've read this one first to make sure I like their style of writing.

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Janice wrote: "I didn't realize that you were the moderator of the group hosting the challenge. Thanks for compiling the list, and for letting us use it. It's been a godsend. :) "

Eh, the work has been done and the list is there anyway so might as well make use of it (as long we - the group - get credit).

I obviously do this list every year, so feel free to ask in future if you need it again for challenges. I also have lists for 2014, 2013 and 2012 so if you ever want to do something with past winners just shout.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments Lynn wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Thanks Kristie for the link, and Lynn for the work collating."

No problem :)
I have to say putting that list together is a labour of love. It can become mind numbingly boring at times and it feels never ending when you're half way through!"

I always offer to help with that stuff! But, I'm so glad to let you take it on too. ;) Didn't think you'd mind that I linked it.

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments Jayme wrote: "Thanks for the link, Kristie. I have two of the books on the fiction list Go Set a Watchman and Girl at War, so I will see which one I am in the mood to read over Ch..."

You're welcome. Glad it was helpful.

message 40: by Lynn (last edited Nov 25, 2015 12:44PM) (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Kristie wrote: "I always offer to help with that stuff! But, I'm so glad to let you take it on too. ;) Didn't think you'd mind that I linked it. "

I know :) I did say it was a labour of love, it's the kind of thing I enjoy doing but at times I am pulling my hair out and thinking why do I do that to myself ;)

message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I haven't read many of the books on the lists, so I have a lot of gophering to do. The one I did read, Kitchens of the Great Midwest,was enjoyable but I can't believe it was nominated for best fiction.

message 42: by Kerri (last edited Nov 25, 2015 10:44PM) (new)

Kerri Kristie wrote: "I always forget, can the monthly themed read (or the toppler read) and the challenge read be the same book? It just can't count towards the yearly challenge, correct?

I didn't realize that the Ki..."

I had thought of reading this for the same reason, but it's quite lengthy and I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about it. Not that I've ever let that stop me before, so I will probably read it too. I am trying really hard not to add more books to my TBR or read anything that is not already on it.

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments My library reservation just came in for The Girl in the Spider's Web so I guess my choice has been made for me.

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13586 comments Kerri - I completely understand that. My TBR is out of control. All the books I considered for this one seem long, but I figure if I read one that fits the monthly theme, then it is covering two book goals for me. So, I suppose as long as it's not longer than 2 books, I still make out ok.

message 46: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Sarah wrote: "Teanka wrote: "I'm going to read Aurora, very curious about it. I might also try Fates and Furies."

Have you read any other books by this author? I've heard good th..."

I think this book is the best place to start with this author since it's not that long and I know a lot of people who liked it so I hope it is good. It is long, but he usually writes longer. I read Red Mars which I think was OK, but very detailed but never read the remainder of the trilogy.

message 47: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments For those looking to read Uprooted - I recommend it - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There were several books already on my TBR that were nominated. But, once again, I'm going with a different book, A Darker Shade of Magic. Now back to rooting around the linked list...my pile just grows and grows.

message 48: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19984 comments I might have to listen to Born with Teeth since I convinced my daughter to buy it for me.

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments I didn't plan on doing this challenge because I'm not sure I have time for it, and also because I don't own any of the books and didn't plan on buying one. But then Thursday I went to a bookfair and picked up a very cheap copy of The Nightingale, and Sandra informed me that it actually is a goodreads nominee. So I might go for an extra badge after all :)

message 50: by Sandra (last edited Nov 28, 2015 08:23AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments I really thought you have bought it because of the challenge, but when neither you or Lisa mentioned it in your talk about the book I got suspicious and mentioned it just in case. I'm glad you might get one more badge this year. :)

« previous 1