Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Book Discussion - Non BotM > Show us your Shelfies

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
For those who haven't converted to ebooks (or go for a mix) any time spent here in the group results in a massive influx of books. How do you store them , any books your particularly proud of having , and most of all post a picturef your shelves

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Nov 24, 2015 02:09AM) (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
Our main shelves with around 500 or so books
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The next set with over 150 books

And of course the mandatory hoarders corner

We've quite a few signed and ltd editions and other collectables mixed in there. A lot of signed books including Pratchett, Gaiman, Sanderson, GRRM,a few great recent ones like the Martian and Emperors Blades as signed ltd editions and a reasonable number of antiques including two Dickens first editions.

message 3: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Nov 24, 2015 02:41AM) (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1886 comments Mod
Ok after some technical difficulties - thank you to Paul... here are my shelves!!

My Wheel of Time shelf is my favourite <3

description
description
description
description

message 4: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

That's impressive Paul!!

Now tell me how you added images in... :D

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
Hi Kirsty , I posted it in our new tech support thread yesterday here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Because you have it hosted you just need to stick the web address in the code also change the barackets at the start and end to< > symbols(I Have to change them for the code to show (img src="http://www.goodreads.com/image..." width="40" height="100" alt="description")

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
I love the shelves Kirsty. Those bottles with the HP books look brilliant.

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
So a couple of years ago I posted this on my blog. However it's a bit out of date!

Since I've moved, I've had a lot less room for my books, so most of them are still with my parents. Here's what I have with me though! One bookcase in my room, the other in the living room which I have entirely taken over, sorry housemate :P

photo photo 1_zps5rn4afxk.jpg

photo photo 2_zpsmrlxr5wb.jpg

message 8: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
That's scarily neat :-)

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I am a neat freak :D

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Quite jealous of all your shelves though. I want all my books here :(

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I only have a "hoarders corner" LOL Behind and under my couches. I used to have a shelf and way more books before I moved. It was way too expensive and annoying to bring them all. I rarely buy physical books anymore because of this. Library and e-books when possible, physical purchase when not.

Nice shelves guys :)

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Nov 24, 2015 03:02AM) (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
It was very funny when we moved, we had 11 boxes of books and about 5 boxes of everything else.
Are you going to move your books down at any point Rinn

message 13: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
I'm looking through your shelves now going "Have it " "Want it"

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I'd like to, but there's no more shelves/room for them. Although I know that I'm going to eventually just start stacking them on the floor underneath...

My parents don't mind me keeping my books at home. So they'll stay there until I have space for them all :D

message 15: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
Sounds like a good plan

message 16: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I just noticed that there is a "Continuous Delivery" book (one of my husbands techy books) sullying my Wheel of Time Shelf.... I shall be having words.
Or I'll just move it somewhere else... Ha!

message 17: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Also, I found an app the other day called Shelfie. Where you take pics of your shelves and it auto recognises the books from the spines. I think they're still getting all working and stuff, but the guys there emailed me as I added lots of shelves for feedback and listened and responded when I replied which was good. You can then connect with, share, chat etc with people who have similar books etc. Downloaded on iOS.

message 18: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
I posted that for Lel somewhere else the other day , as they give free and cheaper ebooks if you own them

message 19: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Ah yeah that's right! :D

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Kirsty wrote: "I just noticed that there is a "Continuous Delivery" book (one of my husbands techy books) sullying my Wheel of Time Shelf.... I shall be having words.
Or I'll just move it somewhere else... Ha!"

How very DARE he!

message 21: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

The audacity!

message 22: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
Cheeky sod . When I found a Jane Austen on the Scifi shelf there was big trouble.

message 23: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Darn, you guys have huge collections that make mine look like so tiny! :( There's some really awesome books in there.

I only finished working on my new shelves a few days ago, the small ones on the right side of my desk. My books were at first simply stacked on my desk, and I felt they deserved a better place. I made the shelves & desk myself, something of which I'm quite proud ;P And now I'll just keep on collecting :)

These ones I proudly keep on my desk, such a hassle to get them shipped to the Netherlands.

message 24: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
They look great Kimberley. Fair play making the desk and all. Love the leather bound set.

message 25: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Lovely Kimberley! Particularly pleased to see the Illiad and Odyssey leatherbound there! :D

message 26: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Kimberley, have you been to Donner Boekhandel in Rotterdam? They have an amazing English language collection :o

message 27: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Thank you! I'm in love with my leatherbound books aswell, the Illiad & Odyssey (aswell as Grimm's) could really not be missing; I have a big thing for mythology and fairytales ;P

And yeah, Rinn, I go there a lot! My uni is only two minutes or so away from that store, so I go there after school sometimes ;) (and then try to stop myself from buying myself broke..) So its safe to say my collection is quickly growing.. Maybe I need to start making more shelves, just in case..

message 28: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of Mythology and Fairy tales as well. I did a lot of study on them for my cultural anthropology degree ( plus the other half is a Greek and Roman Teacher)
I think at this point I have four editions of Grimms but not that beautiful leather one ( I have a signed Philip Pullman version and a lovely antique one though)
Definitely get ahead of yourself on the shelving

message 29: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Hah! Nice! I would probably have gone in that direction if I didn't choose Media technology, where I pretty much learn coding for websites and apps and usability. Two whole different worlds!

Post a pic of your Grimms if you can be bothered? :)

message 30: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
Antique one , 1890's ish Leather edition -
and the Philip Pullman special edition -
The other two are stored somewhere but are fairly standard

message 31: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) Oh wow! These are amazing ;3 Love the antique one especially. Cool stuff!

message 32: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3540 comments Mod
I can't even remember where I got it now to be honest.