Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Charlotte's 2016 Plan

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 8 comments I've finally completed my 2016 reading list, or at least the first draft of it! I'm certainly not planning on being strict about adhering to the exact books planned here, and I will also not be going in order. My goal will be survival! But right now I'm really excited about the list and am looking forward to January.

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't- All the Light We Cannot See
2. A book set in a different continent-Things Fall Apart
3. A book from the goodreads Choice Awards 2015- The Heart Goes Last
4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015-Skinny Legs and All
5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name-Cloud Atlas
6. The highest rated on your TBR-The Wise Man's Fear
7. A book about books-The Book Thief
8. A classic book with fewer than 200 pages-Siddhartha
9. A book that was mentioned in another book-On the Road
10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now-Kindred
11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge-Everything Is Illuminated
12. A childhood classic-Deenie
13. Reader’s Choice- TBA
14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title-I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago)-Middlemarch
16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels-The Big Sleep
17. A book with a beautiful cover-Girl at War
18. A book on a summer/beach reading list-Fangirl
19. A nonfiction book-Bad Feminist
20. A book with a first name in the title-An Abundance of Katherines
21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page-Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
22. The first book in a new to you series-Legend
23. The next book in a series you are reading-The Silkworm
24. A "between the numbers" book of a series-The Slow Regard of Silent Things
25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you-Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
26. A book everyone is talking about-The Girl on the Train
27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion)-The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir-Girl, Interrupted
29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name-Career of Evil
30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own-On the Eighth Day
31. A work of young adult fiction-Cinder
32. A historical fiction book-The Lake House
33.The 16th book on your TBR-A Town Like Alice]
34. A book about mental illness-In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction
35. An award winning book-Fall on Your Knees
36. An identity book- Flight
37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read-Chocolat
38. A book about an anti hero-The Blind Assassin
39. A previous suggestion (year of my birth)-Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream
40. A novella from your favorite genre-Animal Farm
41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction)-The Orenda
42. A top 100 fantasy novel-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night-Frankenstein
44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public-Cunt: A Declaration of Independence
45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have (Travel)-A Field Guide to Getting Lost
46. A crime story- Room
47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title-He Died With A Felafel In His Hand
48. A dystopia-World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
49. A book with a great opening line-The Martian
50. A book originally written in a language other than English- The Ministry of Pain
51. A short story from a well-known author-Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
52. A book published in 2016- TBA

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Great list! Another Kingkiller Chronicles reader! We have other books in common too and you have other books on my TBR that I haven't been able to fit in my list yet. Looking forward to seeing what you think of them. :)

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm also reading The Blind Assassin, Animal Farm and Frankenstein :)

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome :)

I read both Legend and Animal Farm this year, they were interesting. I was disappointed by Legend #2, I'll try to read the 3rd in December.

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 8 comments Thanks for the comments, guys. It's fun to see how similar some our our challenges are.

message 6: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Great list! I haven't added Legend to my plan, but it's on my tbr-list so I might read it next year also!

I hope you'll enjoy The Book Thief. I absolutely loved it. I think it's a beautiful book!

message 7: by Luisa (new)

Luisa (deborahluisa) i just finished The Girl on the Train. Is a good book, hope you enjoy it.

Also, The Martian is amazing! One of my favorites books of this year!

Your list is really great! Animal Farm, The Book Thief and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are also excelent choices!

message 8: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments What a wonderful list! You have a lot of fun reads coming up :)

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Wow! We share quite a few choices so we're definitely going to be able to share a lot of discussions. I'm also reading The Heart Goes Last, On the Road, Cinder, The Blind Assassin, Animal Farm and Frankenstein next year.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 8 comments Francesca wrote: "Wow! We share quite a few choices so we're definitely going to be able to share a lot of discussions. I'm also reading The Heart Goes Last, On the Road, [book:Cinder|11..."
That's awesome! It's funny how the topics are so broad and yet a lot of us are reading the same things. Looking forward to talking about them!