Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Kris' 2016 Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (last edited Dec 19, 2015 05:50PM) (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Looking forward to taking part in this challenge. I have a few ideas but need to narrow down a few more...

Kris' 12 + 2 Classic Challenge

1899 and earlier
1. The Moonstone (1868)
2. The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)
3. A Tale of Two Cities (1859)

1900-1999
4. Rebecca (1938)
5. Mrs. Dalloway (1925)
6. Invisible Man (1952)

My Wild Card Six
7. Don Quixote (1605)
8. The Professor's House (1925)
9. Middlemarch (1872)
10. Lonesome Dove (1985)
11. Parnassus on Wheels (1917)
12. The Hobbit (1937)

Alternates
A-1. King Rat (1962)
A-2. The Remains of the Day (1988)

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9315 comments Mod
I loved The Count of Monte Cristo -- hope you will too.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I have wanted to read The Count of Monte Cristo for a long time. The other books I've picked also have been on my radar one way or another. Some of them are pretty large so it will be a definite challenge for me.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1604 comments You have some nice choices. I have read all except 1, 8 , 11 and both alternates. Definitely some long ones there but a few short ones too. Good luck with your challenge.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4838 comments Mod
The Count of Monte Cristo, Rebecca, and Lonesome Dove were all five star reads for me, there're just great. Enjoy!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I'm hoping to read at least one a month but there are a few longer ones. Not sure how realistic the goal is but looking forward to giving it a try.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I did some rearranging but now my list is set.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments I'll say there are a few long ones in there...good for you!

1 long read in a year is plenty for me!
I read Don Quixote in the 3rd quarter of 2015, and will read Middlemarch in the upcoming quarter...will you join that group read?

message 9: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments The Hobbit, YES!!!!
Did you vote for it on the poll?

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Susie wrote: "I'll say there are a few long ones in there...good for you!

1 long read in a year is plenty for me!
I read Don Quixote in the 3rd quarter of 2015, and will read [book:Middlemarch|1908..."

I meant to read Don Quixote with the group but never ended up reading it. I'm hoping reading Middlemarch with the group will keep me on track.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Phil wrote: "The Hobbit, YES!!!!
Did you vote for it on the poll?"

I did vote for it and am hoping it wins. I've always been interested in Tolkien but for whatever reason, his books have intimidated me. I'm really looking forward to reading The Hobbit.

message 12: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments The Hobbit is just a children's book, and short, so no reason to feel intimidated at all :) I loved it when I was 9, and now I'd like to reread.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Kris I envy you the you DID NOT read Don Quixote! I regret the time spent reading it!

message 14: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Teanka wrote: "The Hobbit is just a children's book, and short, so no reason to feel intimidated at all :) I loved it when I was 9, and now I'd like to reread."

So it will be a good introduction to Tolkien, I hope. Like I said in my thread, I was scared to near death by LoR at the tender age of about 7 and have never touched it since. Now I want to go back to it...

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I did a slight rearrange. I switched out Pickwick papers for A Tale of Two Cities . I have A Tale on audio from Audible and decided it might be the surest way to finish it this year.

message 16: by M.A. (new)

M.A. | 12 comments Great list. I absolutely loved The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 17: by Gergana (last edited Dec 21, 2015 10:18AM) (new)

Gergana | 27 comments "Don Quixote" is hard to get through, but carries some wonderful ideas. Believe me, I hated it when I first read it this summer (for school). But the more we discussed it this October in Literature class, the more I warmed-up to it. I can't imagine this past year without reading "Don Quixote" now.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Mrs. Dalloway (1925) is good book