Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Kris' 2016 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (last edited Dec 31, 2016 06:45PM) (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I have been waiting for the 2016 challenges to begin.

Challenge in List Form
To help you keep track of your own progress

OOOOO
OOOXO
OXOOO
XXXXX
XOOXO

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - The Plague by Albert Camus
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic - The Hobbit
B3: Classic of Africa - Out of Africa?
✔B4: Children's Classic - Little House in the Big Woods - Completed 1/8/16
✔B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - The Remains of the Day - Completed 5/22/16

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s - The Odyssey or The Aeneid
I2: New-to-You Author - Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
✔I3: Classic Play - Death of a Salesman: Certain Private Conversations in Two Acts and a Requiem - Completed 4/16/16
✔I4: Banned Book - O Pioneers! Finished 6/30/16
I5: Published in the 1700's - Candide

N1: Classic of the Americas - Invisible Man
N2: Short Story Collection -
N3: FREE SPACE
✔ N4: Poetry Collection - The Selected Poetry | Edna St. Vincent Millay - Completed 12/31/16
N5: Classic of Europe

G1: Published in the 1600's - Don Quixote
✔G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century - The Little Prince - Completed 2/28/16
G3: Classic Non-fiction
✔G4: Classic from School - A Tale of Two Cities | Charles Dickens 12/22/16
✔G5: Published in the 1800's - Middlemarch - Finished 7/21/16

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - Lonesome Dove (Pulitzer)
O2: Gothic Classic - Rebecca
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania
✔O4: Mystery or Crime Classic - And Then There Were None - Completed 4/13/16
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author - Edith Wharton

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Great, glad you are ready to go.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I will never be able to fill in as I go. I have researched some options and using books chosen from my other challenges and actual books I own, I have a pretty good plan going in knowing it will be changed and rearranged as I go.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Kris wrote: "I will never be able to fill in as I go. I have researched some options and using books chosen from my other challenges and actual books I own, I have a pretty good plan going in knowing it will be..."

That's how I approached it also...I knew I needed to research some options ahead of time, which turned out to be fun and helped broaden my literary horizon for sure!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I have finished 2 reads for BINGO so far.

B4 - Childrens Classic - Little House in the Big Woods
G2 - Books from Le Monde's 100 books of the Century List - The Little Prince

It's not where I wanted to be but real life kicked my butt in January and February. Last week, I finally was able to get some reading in.

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments I just hate it when real life interferes with my reading! Better luck for the coming months!

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I think 2 books is a great start, especially when real life has taken over book life. Such a shame when that happens :)

message 8: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Leni wrote: "I just hate it when real life interferes with my reading! Better luck for the coming months!"

Hi Leni,

Don't feel too badly. I'm not fairing much better. It sure is a shame when life refuses to cooperate with our preconceived notions of how it should be. Chin up, it's only March 1st - there's a lot of reading time yet to go this year! ;-)

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I finally checked off a couple more on this challenge.

I finished And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller .

I really enjoyed both. Death of a Salesman was reread for me. I read it 30 years ago (oh no, definitely aging myself). I don't remember getting anything out of it. During this read, I really enjoyed it. So glad that I gave it a second chance.

And Then There Was None was my first time reading Agatha Christie. While I was familiar with the story, I found it interesting and compelling. I will have to give some of her other titles a try.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments I haven't read any Agatha Christie either, but I have a few on my tbr shelf...someday!

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Susie wrote: "I haven't read any Agatha Christie either, but I have a few on my tbr shelf...someday!"

Same here!

message 12: by Kris (last edited May 22, 2016 08:11PM) (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Still plugging away....finished The Remains of the Day. Really enjoyed the writing. It was a quiet, powerful read. Very thought provoking. Although I just finished reading it today, I feel like a 2nd read would add so much more to the experience.

During the time I was reading the book I was trying to recall the movie. I've never seen it but now really want to watch it.

I think my next read will either be Mrs. Dalloway or O Pioneers. Haven't decided which, yet.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I haven't read either Mrs. Dalloway or O Pioneers!, but I really like what I've read by Willa Cather.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Finished O Pioneers! and really enjoyed it. Haven't made a bingo yet but getting closer.

Still plugging along with Middlemarch. Don't hate it but don't love it either. I'm about 600 pages in so I'm not giving up on it. I think that since I haven't consistently read it, it isn't keeping me interested.

Next up is Jane Eyre and Lonesome Dove. My hubby and I are going to buddy read Lonesome Dove sometime this month. We've talked about buddy reading a book for a while now but haven't done it yet. Fingers crossed it is a good experience.

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments I really liked O Pioneers! too...will read more of her stuff for sure!

If you're 600 hundred pages in, I would encouage you to stick with it...it definitely picked up for me the further I read and could barely put it down for the last 100 pages or so...
You can do it... :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think I might try "Lonesome Dove" next year for bingo.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but this book is so loved, I'd like to try it.

message 17: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 890 comments Kris wrote: "Finished O Pioneers! and really enjoyed it. Haven't made a bingo yet but getting closer.

Still plugging along with Middlemarch. Don't hate it but don't love it either..."

I'd like to read O Pioneers.
Middlemarch is not an easy book but hang in there. I had to start 3 times before I got to the end, and by then it became one of my favourites :O)
Hope the buddy read goes well

message 18: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4583 comments Mod
Middlemarch is a book worth working for and I imagine everyone who has ever read it had to work at the beginning.

Lonesome Dove is stupendous and not a "western". It transcends that genre almost immediately!

message 19: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments Lonesome Dove has a western setting, but it is a story of relationships and it is amazing. But there is plenty of action so that men who would cringe at the thought of reading a relationship story will love it anyway. It really does transcend genres but also appeals to various age groups. One of the few books I have read more than once.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments Finished Middlemarch for another spot on my bingo board.

✔G5: Published in the 1800's - Middlemarch - Finished 7/21/16

Up next: Hoping to get to Mrs. Dalloway or Lonesome Dove. Maybe A Tale of Two Cities on audio.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I read "Middlemarch" before I joined GR and just loved it!

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments Congrats on Middlemarch. Love that book. Lonesome Dove sounds interesting and I'm adding that to my TBR list.

message 23: by Kris (last edited Dec 23, 2016 04:38AM) (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I finished A Tale of Two Cities. I love this book! I read it in high school and remember liking it but didn't have a huge remembrance of it.

I am one away from a Bingo. Of course, I need to read my least favorite genre to complete it. So, having said that, I went to the library and chose Collected Poems. I had researched the book for my 2017 challenge but am stealing it for 2016's so I can complete a bingo.

message 24: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2338 comments You go girl!!

message 25: by Brina (new)

Brina All right! And you have a week left so you can easily get it done!

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments I loved A Tale of Two Cities when I read it this year for the first time. It is grim and harrowing and yet the story was mesmerizing...hard to put down...

1 more...you can do it!

message 27: by Kris (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments BINGO!

It came down to the wire but finished 1 bingo.

I read The Selected Poetry. I haven't read any poetry since grade school and don't feel knowledgeable enough to gage what I read. Overall, it wasn't a horrible read but it wasn't necessarily enjoyable, either. Definitely outside of my comfort zone.

Overall, I read 9 classics for 2016. Not great but more than I have read in prior years.

message 28: by Alia (new)

Alia | 228 comments Congratulations! :)