ACIM: Listen, Learn and Act discussion

THE MEANING OF MIRACLES > Wholeness And Spirit

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelanadine (new)

Angelanadine | 17 comments I am struggling with paragraph 4. Every family member must return home, which home? God is not mocked, when or why was God ever mocked?

Same with paragraph 5, struggling here. One cannot serve 2 masters (and this closely paraphrases the bible), but why does the mind become a medium by which the spirit creates its own creation? How does authoritive control and tyrancy enter in it?

Any input would be welcome, thanks! I feel like there is some context that would make this a lot more logical.

message 2: by Ramon, Co Moderator (last edited Nov 23, 2015 11:40PM) (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Angelanadine wrote: "I am struggling with paragraph 4. Every family member must return home, which home? God is not mocked, when or why was God ever mocked?

Same with paragraph 5, struggling here. One cannot serve 2 ..."

ACIM states: "The ego regards the body as its home, and tries to satisfy itself through the body. But the idea that this is possible is a decision of the mind, which has become completely confused about what is really possible. T-4.II.7. (Emphasis added).

Okay - first we identify home.

There is our real home - where the Mind is - where we were created.

And then, according to ACIM, "The ego regards the body as its home." T-4.II.7. And, "...you believe you are in a body...." T-1.V.1.

But, we should have already learned that because our body has a beginning and an end, that the body cannot possibly be real.

Plus the return isn't an actual return, like moving from point A to point B, because we have actually never really left. And, there isn't really any point A or point B, because our real self takes up zero space.

Now we identify our (real) self. We should have already learned that the mind is the real self that God created perfect. And, our ego is our perceived self that we created as a product of our free choice.

ACIM states: "God would be mocked if any of His creations lacked holiness" T-1.V.4. (emphasis on the term 'would' in the original; emphasis on the the term 'if' added).

The terms 'would' and 'if' make the statement theoretical. God knows the truth and the statement wasn't meant for God's eyes. We believe that God is all-knowing, but we also believe that we are this body. The statement is merely saying that we are not lacking and to believe that we are lacking anything would be like calling God a fool and a liar. We can't have it both ways. We are holy as God made us and to believe otherwise proves that it is our own self that is confused - not God.

ACIM states: "The only limit put on its choice is that it cannot serve two masters. T-1.V.5. (Emphasis added)

The term its refers to mind. And the mind is limited. The mind can choose to serve God. Or, the mind can choose to serve its own will. But, it cannot serve both.

ACIM states: "If it elects to do so, the mind can become the medium by which spirit creates along the line of its own creation. If it does not freely elect to do so, it retains its creative potential but places itself under tyrannous rather than Authoritative control". T-1.V.5.

This is just about our freedom of choice. If we choose on our own to serve God and that choice was made freely, then our choice was truly free. But, if we choose to serve God because God offered no other choice then God could be said to be a tyrant.

Makes since to me. Man has already proven that he can not create his own perfection. And we are still trying.

A lot of this stuff was already covered prior to these paragraphs. I will suggest that we slow down a bit. These concepts build layer upon layer, but many are also repeated or rephrased.

Please remember too that we have this ego that is also putting obstacles in our path. Our ego is the father of confusion. I believe that you listen well to reason. So don't hesitate to allow us to go through these things with you in greater detail. I really do enjoy sharing with our group here.