Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Susie's 2016 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Susie (last edited Dec 17, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments My first Bingo Challenge...I'll see how far I get!

BLACKOUT! Completed 12/17/16

Completed: 25/25

B1: ✔ Written by Nobel Laureate - Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral 12/17/16 ☆☆☆
B2: ✔ Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 4/1/16 ☆☆☆
B3: ✔ Classic of Africa - The Stranger 2/25/16 ☆☆☆☆
B4: ✔ Children's Classic - The Borrowers 6/23/16 ☆☆☆☆
B5: ✔ Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - To the Lighthouse 4/18/16 ☆☆☆

I1: ✔ Published/Written Before 1600’s - Medea (431 BC) 1/10/16 ☆☆☆☆
I2: ✔ New-to-You Author - Middlemarch 1/31/16 ☆☆☆☆☆
I3: ✔ Classic Play - Lady Windermere's Fan 2/21/16 ☆☆☆☆☆
I4: ✔ Banned Book - The Awakening 2/5/16 ☆☆☆
I5: ✔ Published in the 1700's - Moll Flanders 5/13/16 ☆☆☆

N1: ✔Classic of the Americas - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 2/12/16 ☆☆☆☆☆
N2: ✔ Short Story Collection - Dubliners 2/21/16 ☆☆☆☆
N3: ✔ FREE SPACE - Daddy-Long-Legs 2/24/16 ☆☆☆☆☆
N4: ✔ Poetry Collection - A Spicing of Birds: Poems 1/28/16 ☆☆☆
N5: ✔ Classic of Europe - A Tale of Two Cities 6/24/16. ☆☆☆☆☆

G1: ✔ Published in the 1600's - All's Well That Ends Well 7/2/16 ☆☆☆☆
G2: ✔ Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century - The Little Prince 1/3/2016 ☆☆☆
G3: ✔ Classic Non-fiction - Interior Castle 4/14/16 ☆☆☆☆
G4: ✔Classic from School - Sons and Lovers 3/25/16 ☆☆☆☆
G5: ✔Published in the 1800's - Washington Square 9/29/16 ☆☆☆☆ 1/2

O1: ✔ Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - American Pastoral 11/23/16 ☆☆☆☆
O2: ✔ Gothic Classic - Northanger Abbey 5/29/16 ☆☆☆☆
O3: ✔ Classic of Asia or Oceania - Silence 12/4/16 ☆☆☆☆
O4: ✔ Mystery or Crime Classic - The Sign of Four 3/8/16 ☆☆☆
O5: ✔ Prize-Winning Female Author - O Pioneers! 3/29/16 ☆☆☆☆

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Medea by Euripides A Spicing of Birds Poems by Emily Dickinson Middlemarch by George Eliot The Awakening by Kate Chopin The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde Dubliners by James Joyce The Stranger by Albert Camus The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Arthur Conan Doyle Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence O Pioneers! by Willa Cather Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1) by Jean Webster Interior Castle by Teresa of Ávila To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen The Borrowers (The Borrowers #1) by Mary Norton A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens All's Well That Ends Well by William Shakespeare Washington Square by Henry James American Pastoral (The American Trilogy, #1) by Philip Roth Silence by Shūsaku Endō Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral by Gabriela Mistral

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Hope the challenge is a fun one for you. Good Luck in the coming year.

message 3: by Susie (last edited Oct 19, 2016 03:51PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments My picks and possibilities for the time being:
Since I'm new at this, if you see something that doesn't match up, let me know...
I want to do it right!

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - The Wreath by Sigrid Undset (Part 1 of the Kristin Lavransdatter Triology), Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral,
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic -Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Brave New World,
B3: Classic of Africa - The Four Feathers, The Stranger
B4: Children's Classic - The Borrowers, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - To the Lighthouse

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s - Medea,
I2: New-to-You Author - Middlemarch,
I3: Classic Play - Medea, Lady Windermere's Fan, All's Well That Ends Well
I4: Banned Book - Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Awakening,
I5: Published in the 1700's - Moll Flanders, The Monk,

N1: Classic of the Americas - O Pioneers!, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,
N2: Short Story Collection - Dubliners,
N3: FREE SPACE z Daddy-Long-Legs
N4: Poetry Collection - A Spicing of Birds: Poems
N5: Classic of Europe - At Swim-Two-Birds, A Tale of Two Cities,

G1: Published in the 1600's - All's Well That Ends Well
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century -The Little Prince
G3: Classic Non-fiction - Life Among the Savages, Interior Castle,
G4: Classic from School - Sons and Lovers,
G5: Published in the 1800's - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Lady Windermere's Fan,Washington Square

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - American Pastoral,
O2: Gothic Classic - Northanger Abbey, The Monk,
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania - Silence, The Arabian Nights, A Passage to India,
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic - The Sign of Four,
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author - O Pioneers!,

message 4: by Susie (last edited Dec 31, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Saving this space...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

you make good list susie

message 6: by Bat-Cat (last edited Dec 31, 2015 02:14PM) (new)

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Susie wrote: "My picks and possibilities for the time being:
Since I'm new at this, if you see something that doesn't match up, let me know...
I want to do it right!

Wow, this is a really great list! I hope you have fun checking off the books you read throughout the year. I'm new at it too and am excited about starting and seeing how much I can get completed.

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 76 comments Great list Susie!! Have fun reading!!

message 8: by Susie (last edited Jan 10, 2016 02:48PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 1.

1 (very short one) down, 23 to go!
Used The Little Prince for my G2 square... I gave it 3 stars.
It was my first time reading it, and I did enjoy it. It was a positive, uplifting story to start the year with...

message 9: by Sylwia (last edited Jan 07, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Oddly enough, I had no clue Lady Windermere's Fan was a play until I saw where you placed it, and it's on my list. Thank you.

message 10: by Susie (last edited Jan 10, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 2.

Read Medea today, for my I3 square, a Classic Play.
I gave it ☆☆☆☆.
I enjoyed this and was surprised it was such an easy read for me...definitely encouraged to read more plays now!

Sylwia, I may still read Lady Windermere's Fan this year, if you're possibly interested in reading it together...

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments Nice List Susie. I almost picked Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for B2 as well but decided on Treasure Island in the end.

message 12: by Sylwia (last edited Jan 10, 2016 07:58PM) (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments That sounds fun. I'll be getting it from the library so give me notice when you're ready. Irish writer so it'll count for Europe too.

message 13: by Susie (last edited Jan 10, 2016 08:30PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments I decided to change Medea from I3 to I1, which is Written/Published before the 1600's...431 BC fits the bill... ;)

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Sylwia wrote: "That sounds fun. I'll be getting it from the library so give me notice when you're ready. Irish writer so it'll count for Europe too."

I just opened up my Classic Play square...I think I'll use it there... :)

message 15: by Susie (last edited Jan 31, 2016 06:29PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 3.

N4 filled in with A Spicing of Birds: Poems by Emily Dickinson. I gave it 3 stars.
It is a beautiful book of poems with wonderful illustrations, some I really liked, but many were just so-so for me. I like poetry that really moves me and only some of these did...still a nice read...

Moving on...

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well done on completing your first few books. I enjoyed Medea too. I'm not such a fan of Emily Dickinson though, I think I had a similar reaction to you.

message 17: by Susie (last edited Feb 01, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments I think that may be the sad truth Pink...just not a favorite for sure...

Finished Middlemarch today and I loved it! Gave it 5 stars and will write a review soon.
It was satisfying on all levels for me, the writing, the characters, the story itself, the many insights into human relationships...all of it!
Using it in my I2 square - new to me author...

I thought the length of this book would be a real challenge for me, so happy to start my year off with it!

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Same, loved Middlemarch too!

message 19: by Susie (last edited Feb 07, 2016 06:49AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 5.

Listened to The Awakening on my drive from Oregon home to Colorado. It was a perfect 'read' for the trip!
Using it for I5- banned book. I liked it but didn't love it...
I think it might have suffered from being my first read after Middlemarch...

I can see why it was bannned...it must have quite unsettling for the patriarchy of those days. I give her credit for putting it out there...
I did not see the ending coming...

message 20: by Susie (last edited Feb 12, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 6/24...moving along...

For N1, I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and gave it 4 stars...I really enjoyed it! It was my first time reading it (kinda shocking) and even though I'm familiar with some of the stories from the book, I enjoyed actually reading them as well as discovering so much more. I loved how each chapter was a story in itself, yet was seamlessly woven into he overall story.
It had some very dark spots in it which was surprising...not sure what I would have thought if I'd read it at an earlier age...

If you haven't read this, I highly recommend it!

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

You are moving right along, Susie. And some good books too.

message 22: by Sylwia (last edited Feb 16, 2016 11:02PM) (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Just finished Act 1 of Lady Windermere's Fan. The introduction in my version, The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays, spoiled it for me, so you may want to read any introductions as afterwards. I love it. His dialogue is so witty and there is already a lovely melodramatic tension.
Update. Finished it, loved it.

message 23: by Nente (last edited Feb 17, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

Nente | 774 comments Everyone loves Wilde's plays! You'll persuade me to try again. (read a couple and disliked them)

message 24: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:04PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 7. Finished Lady Windermere's Fan for I3 - Classic Play...gave it 5 stars.

A very enjoyable and easy read! The characters are great and I thoroughly enjoyed Wilde's writing...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Sylwia wrote: "Just finished Act 1 of Lady Windermere's Fan. The introduction in my version, The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays, spoiled it for me, so you may want to rea..."

Someone on my flist read "Lady Windermere's Fan" recently, and her review inspired me to consider it for bingo.

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Definitely worth reading!

message 27: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 8. Finished Dubliners for N2, Short Story Collection.
I gave it 4 stars.

There were several stories I really liked, but the last few are pretty dark and depressing. I do think he captures the tough life for so many in Dublin at the time. There is a lot of politics woven in to some of the stories as well, which had me reviewing some Irish History, which was great...
Glad I started with this one for Joyce...yes, he is complicated!
Suffice it to say it will probably be a long time, if ever before I touch Ulysses!!

Getting closer to my first...

message 28: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Sylwia wrote: "Just finished Act 1 of Lady Windermere's Fan. The introduction in my version, The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays, spoiled it for me, so you may want to rea..."

Read four other plays by Wilde now and liked Windermere the best.

message 29: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Sylwia...glad we picked a good one!

9. Finished The Stranger yesterday for B3, Africa...gave it 4 stars. I thought the writing was good, although the story was distressing for me...the apathy of the main character got to me, but I did like it. It starts with the mundane life of one person, but quickly moves to violence with tragic results.
I'll be thinking about this one for awhile...

Nine books, no bingo...enjoying the journey though! :)

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Glad you liked The Stranger, I think I had a similar reaction to you.

I'm also on 9 books with no bingo yet!

message 31: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments I read the collected works of Oscar Wilde a few years back, and Lady Windermere's Fan was one of my absolute favourites. He has some really good children's stories too, which surprised me.

message 32: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 10. Finished The Sign of Four for my O4 square and liked it, but not as much as A Study in Scarlet.

Still no bingo, but it's possible my first one will be level 2...only 2 to go for that one, and I'm reading both now!

message 33: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 11. Finished Sons and Lovers for my G4 square, a reread from high school. I gave it 4 stars. I'm really happy I chose this one as I enjoyed the story, the writing, the endless symbolism...all added to my enjoyment ofthis read...

I look forward to more D.H. Lawrence...what a surprise!

Oh yeah...11 read, no bingo, but closing in on Level 2...

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

One or two more books and you should be at Bingo.

message 35: by Susie (last edited Mar 30, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 12. Finished O Pioneers! by Willa Cather yesterday for my O5 square and gave it 4 stars.
I definitely enjoyed it. I do like the way she writes...wonderful descriptions of the praire and hard life of the pioneers. I loved how she portrayed each character in a gritty, realistic way, foibles and all.
I will definitly continue with this triology and her other books...a great find for me!

Halfway home and no bingo still...I must be in the running for most read, no bingo! ;)

message 36: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Ooh, well done! You'll have to choose carefully now to avoid bingo! ;D

message 37: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Aaand, adding O Pioneers! to my TBR. I need a book for Nebraska for an America challenge. And it's about a Scandinavian community too! Thanks! :D

message 38: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Lots of history and references to the 'old country' and the traditions carried on as they settled America...sounds like you'll enjoy that part!

message 39: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Yes, definitely. I'm Norwegian, not Swedish, and those of my family who emigrated to America went to Minnesota and Ohio, not Nebraska, but still! lol

message 40: by Susie (last edited Mar 30, 2016 02:21PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Same here...I'm Norwegian descent...they settled in South Dakota/Minnesota! Anything Scandinavian perks me up... :)

Hoping to get to Kristin Lavransdatter soon...kinda missing the buddy read...

message 41: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Well Susie if you are not the 1st No Bingo with the most books, you certainly have to be close to that position. LOL

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3583 comments Susie wrote: "Same here...I'm Norwegian descent...they settled in South Dakota/Minnesota! Anything Scandinavian perks me up... :)

Hoping to get to Kristin Lavransdatter soon...kinda missing the budd..."

I just want to send a little encouragement to read Kristin Lavransdatter. I'm almost done with the first book, but lots more to go, so would welcome anyone else interested in the buddy read!

And I'm another with Norwegian ancestors that settled in Minnesota, and sometimes I think I see traces of them in the Kristin characters. :-)

message 43: by Susie (last edited Apr 01, 2016 03:34PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Kathleen, I definitely plan to start/read Kristin Lavransdatter this year, just a matter of finding the right time!

13. Finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland today (April Fool's) which is kinda perfect...
Using it to fill my B2 square - fantasy/sci-fi. I gave it 3 stars, but could have gone lower...didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.
Could be the genre is not my thing... ;)

13 and counting...

message 44: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 14. Finished Interior Castle by Teresa of Ávila for my G3 - Classic nonfiction square today and gave it 4 stars. Written by one of a few women Doctors of the Church, this is St. Theresa's lessons and personal experiences laid out that invite us to seek that closest union with God...
The writing is sometimes scattered but yet still very moving and engaging...

15. Daddy-Long-Legs for myN3 - free space. I gave it 5 stars...fun, easy, read for another challenge...

I added this for my free square, so...yes...I have BINGO...Finally! Make that Level 2 Bingo for my first bingo...ever, in any challenge!
I feel so accomplished!

message 45: by Iní (new)

Iní (ini6) Does the free space mean you can put anything you want in it?

message 46: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Congrats on the bingo! :)

And great list of books you got there Susie!

message 47: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Iní wrote: "Does the free space mean you can put anything you want in it?"

Yep, or you can leave it blank, it doesn't need to be filled. Whatever you prefer :)

message 48: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Susie wrote: "14. Finished Interior Castle by Teresa of Ávila for my G3 - Classic nonfiction square today and gave it 4 stars. Written by one of a few women Doctors of the Church, th..."

Congrats on Bingo!

message 49: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 16. Finished To the Lighthouse for my B5 square - Foreign Literary Prize...gave it 3 stars.
This is my second VW read and not sure enjoy is the correct term, but I am glad to have read it...always feels like an accomplishment to finish one of her books!
Her writing is beautiful and I like the change of pace...every once in awhile!

message 50: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on your accomplishment of a Bingo! Nice!

« previous 1