Sci-fi Women discussion

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
This topic is about On Basilisk Station
Honorverse

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 3 comments I have recently had this book strongly recomended to me. I was told that it had a strong female protagonist, so I bought it and started reading. But I must admit, that I didn't get far. Of what little I read, it was clear that Honor is the opposite of a strong female character - she has so far done pravtically nothing but let men use her as a doormat, despite the fact that she has accomplished more then most of them careerwise.

Does anyone know if she will evolve? Or continue to be succesful in her career, but otherwise remain a doormat?

Sparrow Knight | 10 comments I've heard a good deal about this series, but haven't read any myself. Did you give it another go or find out Harrington stays a doormat? I'm curious...so many books, don't want to waste time on 'meh' ones.

message 3: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 3 comments I haven't tried to pick it up again. I feel the same way as you, wich is why I hoped someone else had read them.

However, I do know that she becomes part of the ruling counsel, so hopefully that means that she toughened up. But how many books you need to read before that happens, I have no idea.

Sparrow Knight | 10 comments Thanks.
Maybe one of these days I'll get it from the library & give it a go, rather than lay out the money. ;-)

message 5: by Lizzie (last edited Jan 18, 2016 12:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lizzie | 21 comments I have read the complete series. She grows, as do all young people.I didn't see her as weak. I did see her as inexperienced.

I owned all of them in hardcover, which says how much I liked them. Halfway through the series my daughter took them all to read and then continued to buy them for herself, allowing me to read them, while I bought the other series in the same universe. My daughter is a 30 year old inner city high school science teacher. She doesn't read weak female characters, so maybe that provides an indication of the character's growth in the series. For me the negative side was that I got tired of reading lengthy military battle descriptions. I am not a military sci fi fan.

I have found the first few books in the series as a free download at the Baen website. You might search for that if you want the opportunity to taste more of the series before investing time and money into it.

message 6: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 3 comments Thank you so much!

To know that she grows into a strong character, gives me that extra push I need to keep reading the first book in the series