March in December discussion

Introduce yourselves

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie | 15 comments Mod
Hi everyone and welcome to the reading group for Middlemarch! We're looking very much forward to reading this monumental classic with you!

In this thread we should introduce ourselves so we can get to know each other a little bit before we start reading and discussing the novel :)

If you feel like it, you could answer the following questions:
- What is your name and where are you joining us from?
- Why do you want to read this novel?
- Have you read the novel before - or anything else by George Eliot?
- Why do you like reading the classics? (Assuming that you do)

Feel free to answer any or all of the questions (and also add more yourself if there's something else you feel like talking about and asking others) :)

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleenvaldes) | 4 comments My name is Kathleen and I am joining from California. I want to read Middlemarch because it has been on my list forever. Also, I have never read any George Eliot before and it feels like I have a gap in my reading by not having done so. Last but not least, I love classics and find their themes to be universal and timeless. My mother read a lot of classics so I have good memories of reading them with her when I was growing up. I'm excited to read this book in December!

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise (atrixa) Hi everyone, I'm Louise and I'm joining you from the North East of England. I've been wanting to read this book for ages and I was hoping to read it before the end of the year anyway.
I haven't read any Eliot before and I'm excited to make a start. I love to read classics. It's so interesting to read something from a different time period where things were so different to our modern world. I much prefer classic romance to modern romance.

Out of interest, how are you all going to tackle the book? I've got an old orange penguin edition that i'm slightly concerned is going to fall apart. I'm thinking of dividing the pages by 31 and giving myself a quota of pages per day. Might be a bit difficult over the holidays, though.

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 15 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Louise and I'm joining you from the North East of England. I've been wanting to read this book for ages and I was hoping to read it before the end of the year anyway.
I haven't rea..."

Hi Louise,
My copy is so big Im afraid to lie down and read it - what if I fall asleep?? Thats a concussion right there! :P
Anyway, I have already started reading - yesterday actually (because my december is quite busy), and Im going to read 25 pages a day as a minimum :) This way I feel like Im able to make sure I wont 'get behind' :)

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 1 comments Hello!

My name is Taylor, and I'm writing from New York City. I want to read this novel, partly because I started it in college, and never finished it. I really loved what I read (which was about 60 pages) but it just got lost in the shuffle of other schoolwork, because, as my professor said, it is an odyssey to read it. And in general I love classics, and George Eliot's life in particular is interesting to me, and her themes. I also am really interested in Charles Darwin's influence in this novel, and in Victorian fiction in general. So I want to actually finish this book, to see the full effect of that influence.
I like reading classics because they are much more complex than people give them credit for. For the most part, I believe classics are a classic for a reason. And with respect to Victorian literature, there was a lot of particularly interesting change going on in terms of what novels were meant for, science and religion, class, race, etc. It's all partly why I studied English in college.
Anyway, I'm really excited to finally finish this novel! And I've just realized that December is only a few days away, when for some reason I felt like it was a week away or something, so I better get started if I don't want to fall behind. I have the Norton edition, but have no idea how I will pace myself.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie | 15 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

I thought I would answer these questions myself as well :)
My name is Marie and I'm joining you from Copenhagen in Denmark (Scandinavia).
I have been wanting to read this novel for quite some years now. When I first graduated I worked at a publishing house where the publisher told me that it was one of the best novels he'd ever read. When he later gave me Marilynne Robinsons 'Home' (and said it was the best novel he'd read that year) and I absolutely loved it, I got curious if we would share the same taste in Middlemarch as well. That was my first introduction to the work of George Eliot. Later I heard my favourite danish book-blogger talk so warmly about it and I also heard appraising words on Booktube. So I decided that I would read it this summer - that never happened, and when I talked to Kamil, and he was in on the readalong, I decided this would be a very good way to embark on it :)

I like reading classics such as these - 19th century and before - partly because of their often quiet pace, character-focus and atmospheric ways - and partly because I want to be 'well-read' and educate myself in the history of litterature. I also want to be able to understand references and such in more modern works.

I havent studied litterature at university - like many others here and on booktube - so I have high hopes for this reading-group :) I hope that by participating I will also learn other ways to look at a novel than the ways I do now. Having studied history I do however feel that there's a lot for me to look at in this novel already (I have begun the reading of it), which excits me a lot! :)

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn I'm Dawn from South Carolina (US). I have studied literature at school and am currently finishing up my Masters. I read Adam Bede by Eliot for a class, and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to read more by her and Middlemarch seems to be one of her most important novels. It turns out I also have to read it for my comprehensive exam. I think this will be the perfect time to read it when I can talk to other people about the novel. I like classics and am ready to delve into them on my own instead of for classes. I just have to finish my studies which should be done very soon. I look forward to reading this with all of you.

message 8: by Kamil (new)

Kamil (coveredinskin) | 17 comments Mod
Hi Guys, so great you are joining us in this little project of ours. A little introduction regarding why I feel tempted to read this book.

If you had a chance to watch my channel you probably see that I'm more into modern literature. I hardly ever read something prior Dostoyevsky and for years was repeating that for me literature started with him. I hated romanticism and realism when I was back at school. We were reading mostly French, German and Russian classics apart from Polish ones of course. Since then apart from Bronte sisters, Austin, I hardly ever read English literature that wasn't published in XX century or later.

Middlemarch came into my attention when Eleanor Catton was awarded with Booker Prize, and in one of her reviews she said that Middlemarch had big influence on her development as a writer. That this one and Brother Karamazov were big inspirations for her.

Since then this book was always in my orbit and was stopping me from reading Luminaries because I wanted to read this one first. I'll be very happy to end the year with such humongous and important book (look at all the best novels ever written lists), and it'd be even greater to do so in such a great company.

message 9: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (marathonsun) Hi, I'm Sherri from Colorado. This is my first George Eliot read. I have had a bookmark for about 20 years with a quote by her and saw Kamil's video and thought it's about time I read it. Although not my first love, I do enjoy classics, mostly for the character driven stories.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleenvaldes) | 4 comments I just finished By the Book which features interviews with famous authors about their favorite books, etc. No less than 6 named Middlemarch as one of their favorites. I am even more excited to read this one now.

message 11: by Paper (new)

Paper Tams (TamsWright) | 2 comments Hello. I am Tams and I live in the Tampa Bay, FL area. Middlemarch has been getting my attention lately because it has been mentioned by several people over the past month. I made a mental note to read it at some point. The timing of this December read along is perfect. I'm excited to get started.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 6 comments I know I'm late to the party but here I am. I'm Kate and I'm from Philadelphia. I decided I want to read this book so I could then read Rebecca Mead's book "My Life in Middlemarch". No joke! It's also such a referenced classic and I hear many,many Authors talk about what it means to them including Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie, so if this Victorian novel is relevant to a Nigerian who is from such a different context, there must be something to it!

message 13: by Marion (new)

Marion Jackson | 1 comments Hi, I'm Marion and I live in Leicestershire, England.
I am a Nurse with a big passion for reading, love classics but enjoy a great story, no matter what the genre is.
Middlemarch was bought for me on my Birthday with the declaration 'one of two of the best books ever written' ( the other mentioned was Moby Dick or The Whale) . So after hearing about March in December on Kamils booktube, who could resist, it's a chunky book, but it's going to be fun to get everyone's perspective and reactions to it.

message 14: by Ikebukuro (new)

Ikebukuro Hi, I'm Ikebukuro from France and I'm happy to see this book going out of my shelves. I wanted to read it for a while but I must confess it was scaring me a little. I love classics, SF, Fantasy, non fiction… for me books are windows opened on the world.