Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Nov 01, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments I want to focus on books I already own, and for a long time too. Since this list is all male authors, I also take part in the Women's Century Challenge.

Old School
1. Victor Hugo: The Man Who Laughs
2. Georg Büchner: Danton's Death
3. Stendhal: The Red and the Black

New School
4. John Steinbeck: East of Eden
5. Edward Albee: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
6. Max Frisch: Andorra

Wild Cards
7. Diverse: Tintenfass Nr. 22
8. David Eddings: King of the Murgos
9. David Eddings: Demon Lord of Karanda
10. David Eddings: Sorceress of Darshiva
11. David Eddings: The Seeress of Kell
12. Friedrich Hebbel: Herodes und Mariamne purged—not counted

Alternates
A-1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
A-2. Gottfried Keller: Novelas de Zúrich purged—not counted

The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo Danton's Death by Georg Büchner The Red and the Black by Stendhal East of Eden by John Steinbeck Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee Andorra by Max Frisch Tintenfass Nr. 22 by Autorenkreis Tintenfass
King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2) by David Eddings Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3) by David Eddings Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4) by David Eddings The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5) by David Eddings The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah You have done great stuff in here! East of Eden is my favorite book and I'm a huge fan of those Eddings series are really great. I'm very curious about The Man Who Laughs. Fun stuff :)

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Sarah wrote: "You have done great stuff in here! East of Eden is my favorite book and I'm a huge fan of those Eddings series are really great. I'm very curious about The Man Who Laughs. Fun stuff :)"

Thanks Sarah! You're probably the first Eddings fan I've met here! I'm doing a re-read of my Eddings books, but for the first time in English (I read them in German when I was a teenager). I'm super excited for the Steinbeck since I enjoyed Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row immensely.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The Belgariad and The Mallorean were series that I read in high school and I didn't even like fantasy :) They're just so wonderful. They're still my favorite fantasy novels.

I just FINALLY read Grapes of Wrath last month. It was a very good book.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Looks like a great year coming.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments I hope I can make it through the big books; they do intimidate me, but mainly because I'm used to reading on public transport and they are not very handy. Actually I get a lot out of reading big books. I should remember this.

message 7: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Great list! I read East of Eden this year and liked it!
I´m pretty big fantasy fan but those Edding books just didn´t do it for me :(
I´m going to make some kind of fantasy challenge for myself this year too!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Desertorum wrote: "Great list! I read East of Eden this year and liked it!
I´m pretty big fantasy fan but those Edding books just didn´t do it for me :(
I´m going to make some kind of fantasy challenge for myself thi..."

Oh great, are you going to share your reading list? I'd definitely want to check it out :)
Eddings definitely has his flaws, but was just the right mix of Disney princess style clishés and humour to help me survive my early teenage years. I take him with a grain of salt these days.

message 9: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I actually more like Tamul (?) and something like that (with knight Sparhawk) do you remember those?

Yes my fantasy list is in here:https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Those are maybe not the most interesting ones but they are mostly from the older side of my TBR-list and mostly randomly picked so I get them read! :) But there are couple I´m really looking forward to, like the Abercrombie book!

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf? I am. My trip with Mrs. Dalloway to The Light House was brutal. I have read several of Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, but still have a few left to read. I am thinking of finishing the series this next year. As for East of Eden, it’s my favorite Steinbeck.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Desertorum wrote: "I actually more like Tamul (?) and something like that (with knight Sparhawk) do you remember those?

Yes my fantasy list is in here:https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Oh yes! I read those first (the Elenium and the Tamuli), and prefer them too. Although many readers seem to see them as rip-offs of Belgariad and Malloreon, I never saw it that way.

Nice list you made, but I must admit I don't know half of the authors. I recently read American Gods and enjoyed it a lot, but was also confused. I couldn't get into Dune when I tried it last year, but I'm determined to try again, I still own the copy. Abercrombie is a huge name these days, but I haven't gotten around to reading a single book of his. Good luck with your challenges and happy reading!

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Bob wrote: "Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf? I am. My trip with Mrs. Dalloway to The Light House was brutal. I have read several of Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, but still have a few left to read. I am thinking of f..."

Ouch, Bob; I've had my trouble with capricious Mrs. Dalloway myself, but I am fascinated with Woolf and have acquired two other of her books meanwhile (Orlando and A Room of One's Own). And of course I'm intrigued to finally get to that famous play.

I too have read almost half of the Holmes books and stories, but was on a break for too long now. I really like the old fellow :)
Have you read Cannery Row? I was so astonished how different it was from Grapes of Wrath! This fact made me fall for Steinbeck a little more and I'm so excited to read more of his work. I've his take on the Arthurian legends on my wishlist as well, can say anything about it?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Bob, I'm afraid of Virginia Woolf also.

I tried to read "Mrs Dalloway" right after reading Dostoevsky's "Notes From the Underground." These two books followed each other as monthly reads earlier this year for this group.

It was brutal to try to read those two books back to back. I gave up and CNF "Mrs Dalloway." This experience left me traumatized and reluctant to tangle with Ms. Woolf!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I read Orlando this year and I can't even tell you how much I loved it! I think Pink read it recently too.

East of Eden is also quite different from Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row. It's almost hard to think all of them as the same writer. But all three are quite wonderful. Dune is really good but I found that I had trouble connecting with the characters because I connect emotionally and Dune is a book about achieving control through intellect. It's actually a really cool book but I did struggle a bit with that aspect.

message 15: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Yes, Elenium and Tamuli! I saw them somehow not so childish, not sure what age I read them (but I did read Belagriad to my little brother -> trying to force him to like books :D).

I´m also afraid of Virginia Woolf but I have only read Mrs Dalloway and my policy is usually give 2 chances. So maybe some other book still, but not sure which one.

I have read couple Steinbecks and liked them (East of Eden I read this year), so I want more of him. Grapes of Wrath is next for me (when I have time ;) ). But those Arthurian legends sounds very interesting, I really want to hear more about them!

I´m a little afraid of the Dune...I´m not scifi person (even I love fantasy) and I have heard that it´s difficult one. And if you Sarah struggled I´m sure I will!

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Sarah wrote: "I read Orlando this year and I can't even tell you how much I loved it! I think Pink read it recently too.

East of Eden is also quite different from Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row. It's almost ..."

Now I'm even more intrigued! Steinbeck, you chameleon!
I think I understand your problems with Dune and I'm afraid it is the same thing that happened when I tried to read it. So maybe it won't get better when I try again..

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Desertorum wrote: "Yes, Elenium and Tamuli! I saw them somehow not so childish, not sure what age I read them (but I did read Belagriad to my little brother -> trying to force him to like books :D).

I´m also afraid ..."

I haven't read it yet, but since Sarah recommends it, I'd vote for Orlando, and it does sound fascinating. A person who is constantly reborn in different times and places - and bodies. This could be really beautiful.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Fine had a lot of value as a book and I ended up enjoying it. I just didn't make that emotional connection that for me might have meant five stars. It was fascinating partially because I've never read anything like it.

message 19: by Emily (last edited Nov 25, 2015 09:53PM) (new)

Emily | 0 comments "The Man Who Laughs" is a great book, it's actually the inspiration for Batman's Joker! "The Red and the Black" is a favorite of mine too. Happy reading!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Emily wrote: ""The Man Who Laughs" is a great book, it's actually the inspiration for Batman's Joker! "The Red and the Black" is a favorite of mine too. Happy reading!"

I know that is one of the reasons I want to read it. There is also a creepy-looking silent movie adapation out there, and I mean to watch it after reading. Thank you!

message 21: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments "The Red and Black" is a favourite of mine, too. And I read the Eddings books years ago. The Malloreon was for me very repetitive, simply the Belgariad all over again, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them since you obviously have read the previous 6 books already and know what to expect :). I also want to read your Hugo and Steinbeck choices, but not necessarily next year. All in all, a great list and I wish you a lot of fun!

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Thank you, Teanka!

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hi Sam, Good luck with your challenge! I am also focusing on books that I own! Can't wait to see how you enjoy your selections.

I have East of Eden on my shortlist, but not my official one.. :D"

I have some kind of shortlist as well - it is very long!

message 24: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Oh yes, it is on my "short" list too :).

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments I read my first book for this challenge! King of the Murgos by David Eddings was a re-read for me, but this time I read the original version and not the translation. It took me too long to get back into the story, but that is my fault. I read the last book months ago and overestimated my memory :)
All in all an enjoyable read with some excellent comic relief.

message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Oh what an interesting list, you have a few books I've never heard of.

Congrats on completing your first book and good luck with your next choices :)

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Pink wrote: "Oh what an interesting list, you have a few books I've never heard of.

Congrats on completing your first book and good luck with your next choices :)"

Thanks Pink!

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sam wrote: "I read my first book for this challenge! King of the Murgos by David Eddings was a re-read for me, but this time I read the original version and not the translation. It ..."

I went on a David Eddings kick a few years back and enjoyed his different series. I agree "All in all an enjoyable read with some excellent comic relief. "

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Kathy wrote: "Sam wrote: "I read my first book for this challenge! King of the Murgos by David Eddings was a re-read for me, but this time I read the original version and not the tran..."

I actually prefer the books about Sparrowhawk, but I'd have to reread them too to put my finger on it. Maybe it is just because they were my introduction to Eddings. How did you discover him, Kathy? I got the books from my best friend, she had all of them. We loved to read together.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I taught high school mathematics for years, and one of my students recommended that I read them.