Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Dear PNR family, help!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (matiekurray) | 30 comments Hi everyone!

I have read and loved so many PNR's! When I look back to all of my favorites, the Anita Blake series sticks out as epic for me.

I'm looking for something similar to her series, I loved the story, characters and steamy lovin'!

Of course, I've read the Paranormal Starter Kit:

Black Dagger Brotherhood,
Demonica,
Lords of the Underworld,
Georgina Kincaid,
Night Huntress,
Immortals After Dark,
Mercy Thomson,
Merry Gentry,
Sookie Stackhouse

Lately I've enjoyed:

Seven series,
New Species,
the Fae Chronicles,
Tarien Soul,
Throne of Glass,
Graceling Realm,
and so many more!

If you have any recommendations on books like the Anita Blake series, OR just based on what I've read, lay em on me!

Thanks!;)

message 2: by Beebs (new)

Beebs (yvond) | 17 comments Have you tried Nalini Singh her Guild Hunter https://www.goodreads.com/series/4794... and Psy Changeling https://www.goodreads.com/series/4145... series are both excellent

message 3: by PepperP0t (last edited Nov 23, 2015 04:47PM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments I'd contribute: P

Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti (vamps & weres) & Forgotten Sins (Sin Brothers, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti (enhanced brothers) both by Rebecca Zanetti

Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley (shifters) by Jennifer Ashley

Heart of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #1) by Terry Spear Savage Hunger both shifters wolves & jaguars both by Terry Spear

Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian vamps - similar to BDB

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (dark hunters) & Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (the league a touch of sci fi)both by Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1) by C.L. Wilson is similar to Tairen Soul but it's the only one right now.

I hope something in here is what you like

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (perfectionseeker) Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1) by Melissa F. Olson
"Boundary Crossed" might be your style. Its new but has a strong female lead that is discovering what she can do while meeting vampires and other creatures that she thought shouldn't exist. It's not like most books that kinda go fast in the beginning. You're with her and understand her from the very beginning.

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning
I didn't see the fever series on your list. I've read many paranormal books before it but after I read these...it raised my standards for PNR. It was soo good.

message 5: by Nka300 (last edited Nov 24, 2015 11:14AM) (new)

Nka300 | 12 comments Ok here's my list, it's a wide ranging list from hot, tame, dark or light content. Also a mix of female or male leads. Some i've outgrown and some themes i've grown bored with so take your pick of what fits you best. I just copy pasted this comment that i've posted in another thread and didn't edit it to take out the books that are already listed, sorry for that. Hope it helps.

And i have by far not listed all that i would've liked to list, but i thought i'd keep it as close to the genre of the discussion as possible. So i tried to avoid the space opera genre, etc.

Angela Knight: Mageverse
Anne Bishop: all of her series!!!!!!!!!!!! the only one i have'nt read is the Tir Alainn series

Charlaine Harris: Sooky Stackhous and Harper Connely
Carrie Vaugh: Kitty Norville
Christine Warren: the Others,
Chloe Neill: Chicagoland Vampires and the Dark Elite series
Cinda Williajms Chima: Seven Realms!!!!!! and The Heir Chronicles seems to be popular too.
Christina Dodd: Darkness Chosen and the Chosen Ones
Christine Feehan: have read all of her series.
C.T. Adams: A Tale of the Sazi
Christine Feehan: All of them, Dark saga and Ghost walkers

Darynda Jones: Harley Davidson series!!
D.B Reynolds
D. Jordan Redhawk: sanguire series, might not be for everyone
Dianne Sylvan: Shadow World !!
Devon Monk: Allie Beckstrom

Eileen Wilks: world of the lupi

Faith Hunter: Jane Yellowrock

Gina Showalter: Lord of the Underworld!!

Helen Harper: Blood Destiny! and Corrigan series!!

Ivy Alexandra:

Jonas Saul
Jacquelyn Frank: all of her series, if you like one you'll like the others
Jennifer Estep: Elemental Assassin
Jennifer Ashley: Shifters Unbound
Jean Johnson: Theirs not to Reason why!!!!
J.R. Ward
Julie Kagawa: The Iron Fey
Jeanine Frost: Night Huntress and Night Prince series!!
Jacqueline Carey: All of them !! Kushiel series!!!!!!!

Keri Arthur: Riley Jensen and Dark Angels
Karen Chance:
K.F Breene: The Warrior Chronicles and Darkness series !!!!
Kim Harrison: The Hollows
Karen Swart: Hellhound series !!
Kassana: Pack Rulez
Katie Reus: Moon Shifter
Kerrelyn Sparks: Love at Stake
Kasey Mackenzie: Shades of Fury

Lauren Dane: Goddess with a blade!!!! have read other of her series, might be interesting but Goddess with a blade is the best out of her series collection.
Lillith Saintcrow: Dante Valentine!!, Jill Kismet!! and the Watcher series. If you like the watcher you'll also like steelflower and society.!!!
Laurann Dohner: New Species, other series are also ok. Feel of her books are between Marisa Chenery and Lora Leigh. So sexy and romance-like
Laurell k. hamilton: Anita blake series and the Merry Gentry series!!!
Lora Leigh: breed series

Marisa Chenery: all of them, if you like one you'll like the others. Plots are not that deep and more focussed on sex(y).
Marjorie M. Liu: Hunter Kiss and Dirk & Steele
Michelle Sagara: Chronicles of Elantra!!!!

Nalini Singh: Psy Changeling and Guild hunter!! !!

Patricia Briggs: Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series!!.

Robin D. Owens: Celta's Heartmates!!!
Rachel Caine: Weather Warden
Rachel Vincent: Shifters !! and Soul Screamers
Richelle Mead: Bloodlines and Vampire Academy!!
Robin Roseau (Lesbian): The Madison Wolves and Galatzi!!

sierra Dean: Secret McQueen
Sunny: Lucinda Darkly and Mona Lisa Awakening!!!
Shannon Meyer: Rylee Adamson
Shelly Laurenston: all her books!!, are light reads and funny!!!!

Trudi Canavan: All !!!!!!!
Thea Harisson: Vampire Queen series!!!, also might not be for everyones taste

Yasmine Galenorn: Otherworld series and Indigo Court

message 6: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) @NKa300: Vampire queen series is by Joey W Hill. Thea Harrison ones is Elder Races.

message 7: by Nka300 (new)

Nka300 | 12 comments Ren wrote: "@NKa300: Vampire queen series is by Joey W Hill. Thea Harrison ones is Elder Races."

oops sorry. thanks for the correction.

message 8: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments Nka300 wrote: "Ok here's my list, it's a wide ranging list from hot, tame, dark or light content. Also a mix of female or male leads. Some i've outgrown and some themes i've grown bored with so take your pick of ..."

so many of these are languishing in my own personal tbr-land it has become it's own continent and trying to become a planet.

message 9: by Nka300 (new)

Nka300 | 12 comments PepperP0t wrote: "Nka300 wrote: "Ok here's my list, it's a wide ranging list from hot, tame, dark or light content. Also a mix of female or male leads. Some i've outgrown and some themes i've grown bored with so tak..."

well those with an exclamation mark behind them are my toppers and those i'm still following or checking up on for updates or just wishing that the series hasn't finished yet.

Like those from

jacqueline carey and trudi canavan,

the covers might not be appealing but those books are really something you can sink your teeth in. Some i didn't even want to read but when i started because i had no other choices i wanted to kick myself in the head for not starting sooner.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Nina Bangs has several series that I enjoy. She writes a good story with a good bit of humour in it. I actually started reading her when I read the back of A Taste Of Darkness (This is the edition that I got. The description is just too funny, so click on it and read it.)

The series she has have some over-lap. Some of the side characters in one series will be the MC's in another series. And then there is Sparkle Stardust and Ganymede. . . Gotta love a Cosmic Troublemaker, right?

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (matiekurray) | 30 comments Thank you all so much!! I just looked back at this list for reference and don't see my comment. I appreciate all the suggestions!