Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Kathy's Old & New 2016 -- I can do it

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 07, 2016 07:15PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9334 comments Mod
Kathy's 12 + 2 Classic Challenge

1899 and earlier

1. Black Beauty: Original and Unabridged by Anna Sewell, 1877
2. The Iliad by Homer, 8th century BC
3. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe, 1794

1900-1999
4. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, 1990
5. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, 1937
6. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, 1940

My Wild Card Six
7. One of Ours by Willa Cather, 1922
8. Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, 1999 -- Abandoned
9. King Lear by William Shakespeare, 1608
10. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley, 1991
11. Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre, 1978
12. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, 1965

Alternates
A-1. Scarlet Song by Mariama Bâ, 1981
A-2. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, 1898

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

As I didn't do so well on my 2015 challenge, I'm going to think hard before I commit here.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 742 comments Since it's my first time, I'm picking mostly 'easy' ones, as I want to be able to read other books for other challenges, and also still keep it fun.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kathy wrote: "As I didn't do so well on my 2015 challenge, I'm going to think hard before I commit here."

Good plan :)

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yes, I'm thinking I need a few short easy ones to get me started and then a couple of real challenges that if they are too overwhelming I can fall back on the alternatives.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I've been looking for short easy ones for the women's challenge.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "I've been looking for short easy ones for the women's challenge."

:)

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 23, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Easy and I'm going to try and use books that have been on my TBR list for years and books that I own.

Book longest on my TBR list is Tigana -- so it is on this challenge.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Anything that helps us get through our TBR is a very wonderful thing.

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 23, 2015 10:01PM) (new)

Hmmmm -- something by William Shakespeare would also work for a play for the Bingo. Which one?

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

And I definitely need to add some female authors!

message 12: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4853 comments Mod
I'm also having a hard time selecting. I know I will be reading The Awakening and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter this next year, this challenge or the century challenge or both , but I've been thinking about them for years. I reread Black Beauty last year, call me an old softy but I liked it a lot.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "I'm also having a hard time selecting. I know I will be reading The Awakening and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter this next year, this challenge or the century challenge or b..."

Looks like maybe then we will have at least 2-3 books in common.

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Links to my other challenges (mostly so I can find them)

Women Author's Challenge Progress

Bingo Challenge Progress

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 24, 2015 07:35PM) (new)

Wild cards are going to be from Books that I actually own that I haven't read. And the alternates will be books that I own that I haven't read that should be easy reads.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 305 comments You're so organized, Kathy! Nice choices.

message 17: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kathy wrote: "As I didn't do so well on my 2015 challenge, I'm going to think hard before I commit here."

Same haha! I've only completed half of my 2015 books.

Love the name of your challenge, you CAN do it :)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 19 comments Wow you have some great choices on here and I love the name of your challenge:)

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Week cheer you on throughout the year :)

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you all.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I completely missed that you had Tigana on here! Wonderful book! It made me cry three times! In a good way!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I read The Mysteries of Udolpho for this year's challenge and found it really hard work. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "I completely missed that you had Tigana on here! Wonderful book! It made me cry three times! In a good way!"

I have had a copy for a couple of years now and can't believe that I haven't read it. It is definitely time to remedy that. So glad to hear that is is wonderful.

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Caroline wrote: "I read The Mysteries of Udolpho for this year's challenge and found it really hard work. I'll be interested to see what you make of it."

Yes -- that is my hard challenge book.

message 25: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Kathy wrote: "Caroline wrote: "I read The Mysteries of Udolpho for this year's challenge and found it really hard work. I'll be interested to see what you make of it."

Yes -- that is my hard challe..."

It's on my female authors list too!

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I was trying to fit The Mysteries of Udolpho on my Female Author's list, but just wasn't having as much luck going that far back for books that I thought I might actually read. Besides, I really wanted to read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

message 27: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I really, really liked The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, I listened to it on Audible this year.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Pink wrote: "I really, really liked The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, I listened to it on Audible this year."

Oh good. I am so glad to hear that. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 29: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments It's a wonderful book, I also liked it a lot.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Perfect. Maybe I'll start the challenge off with it in January.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks, Stephanie.

Of course looking at other member's challenges gives me more books for thought. So many good books that I could add.

message 32: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments Great list. Tigana looks especially interesting.

message 33: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I have 1, 2 and 6 on my Century Women-challenge and Gardens of the Moon for my fantasy challenge, I really look forward to that!

message 34: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments I've read 4,6, 8, 9 and 11, all excellent choices, actually the first four are among my favourites. And I'm going to read 2 this month with the group, if time allows. I'm sure you can do it and enjoy yourself:)

message 35: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1606 comments I just noticed that you have King Lear and A Thousand Acres on your list. That's a very nice pairing. I enjoyed A Thousand Acres when I read it several years ago, but I wished at the time that I had read King Lear just before it. Maybe I will try that someday. You have some great choices that work well for bingo too. I hope you enjoy your challenge.

message 36: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Duane wrote: "Great list. Tigana looks especially interesting."

I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 37: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Desertorum wrote: "I have 1, 2 and 6 on my Century Women-challenge and Gardens of the Moon for my fantasy challenge, I really look forward to that!"

Excellent, we can compare notes! Or better yet, time our reading together.

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Teanka wrote: "I've read 4,6, 8, 9 and 11, all excellent choices, actually the first four are among my favourites. And I'm going to read 2 this month with the group, if time allows. I'm sure you can do it and enj..."

Thank you. It's good to know that the books have great recommendations.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Laurie wrote: "I just noticed that you have King Lear and A Thousand Acres on your list. That's a very nice pairing. I enjoyed A Thousand Acres when I read it several years ago, but I wished at the time that I ha..."

I'm hoping it is a fun pairing.

message 40: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum We can absolutely pair to read Gardens of the Moon! I think I have to buy it, they don´t have it in our library. So probably anytime is okay for me!

message 41: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Desertorum wrote: "We can absolutely pair to read Gardens of the Moon! I think I have to buy it, they don´t have it in our library. So probably anytime is okay for me!"

Excellent!

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Getting closer to the New Year. I really would like to challenge myself to read either The Iliad or The Odyssey by Homer. Which one should I read (I confess I've never even attempted either being too intimated to do so) first? And then of course I have the decision of what on my list to replace it with.

Thanks for any ideas.

message 43: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I've been told by a few people to start with The Odyssey, as it's more entertaining and you don't need to have read The Iliad, even though events are set first in that one.

Personally I have both on my shelf and think I'll do it the other way around, The Iliad, then The Odyssey...then Ulysses!

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Pink wrote: "I've been told by a few people to start with The Odyssey, as it's more entertaining and you don't need to have read The Iliad, even though events are set first in that one.

...Personally I have both on my shelf and think I'll do it the other way around, The Iliad, then The Odyssey...then Ulysses! ..."

Yes -- that is what I want to do -- end up with Ulyssess! But not all in one year, I'm thinking.

message 45: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'm aiming for in the one lifetime! Perhaps if I don't plan on reading them, then I'll actually pick them up, as that's what seems to happen with me!

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Changing out my #2 book, as it is this month's current group read. I'll read it now instead of next year. And so I will put The Iliad in that spot.

2. The Awakening by Kate Chopin, 1899

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Now what translation of The Iliad do I read? Prose or verse?

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I noticed that 5 of my choices were in the 1990's so I've decided to change my alternates to older books. My first I've changed to a 20th Century Book -- but older and now I want to add the second alternate as a book older than 1900's -- but it would be nice if it is a book I own or can get for free on Kindle.

Thinking on this one.

message 49: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Got it -- The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, 1898

message 50: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments If you want free older classics for your kindle you can check out http://www.gutenberg.org They have a lot of the books that aren't copyrighted anymore.

I can also recommend reading Iphigenia in Aulis after reading the Illiad but before reading Oddyssey. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3