YA Fiction Addiction Book Club discussion

Shatter Me > Discussion: Chapters 1-10

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 101 comments Mod
Spoilers for chapters 1-10 but do NOT discuss anything beyond that so that you don't ruin the book for others!

So, I'll start by saying I'm really enjoying this! I knew that the writing style was reallly hit or miss with most people: and for me it totally works. I like the strikethroughs, which I've interpreted as thoughts that Juliette has, but either can't or doesn't want to admit them to herself. And the metaphors don't feel sloppy or misused to me at all. I think for this particular novel, the writing style nails it.

I love all the mysteries that have already been thrown in. How does Juliette know Adam? And the revelation that he was part of the army was a total surprise for me.

All in all, this is a great start and I can't wait to see where it goes.

message 2: by Moriah (new)

Moriah (justmaaya) I'm definitely loving the world that's slowly being built through Juliette's disjointed memories contrasting with the super bleak present. Looking forward to seeing how everything came to be the way it is.

I also really love the narrative style as well. I'm a huge sucker for stream-of-consciousness. And the whole strike-throughs for stifled thoughts thing is really bringing back fond memories of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Really interested in seeing where this is headed.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 101 comments Mod
Yes, I was also thinking how this reminds me of Wintergirls! That was my first LHA book, which I read earlier this year. I think that both books implement the writing style really well and since I actually usually don't like stream of conscious style books that's saying a lot. I think this writing style really adds to Juliette's struggle with being held in captivity since her thoughts have been her only company for so long.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 101 comments Mod
My only concern is that Warner (not sure if I spelt his name right) is going to make this one of those asshole/nice guy love triangles, which I really dislike. Adam is working for the people hurting Juliette but id like to see his reasons before making judgment since their government is so oppressive. He seems like he could be a nice guy and Warner could be a jerk so I hope it doesn't come to one of those love triangles.

Cecelie you read it so I guess you already know but no spoilers XD

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 101 comments Mod
I am cautiously tolerant of them if done well. Instalove though, I can't stand. At all.

message 6: by Moriah (new)

Moriah (justmaaya) I'm kinda feeling that too, Jen. About Warner. Whenever I hear people talk about these books, the majority seem to swoon so hard for him. And he's just really...horrible. So far.

I'm pretty skeptical about his ever being able to redeem himself. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 101 comments Mod
Ah you've confirmed my fears Moriah! I'll just have to keep reading and see...