Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > December 2015 Mini Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Nov 23, 2015 08:12AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17700 comments Mod
description

Here are your December 2015 Mini Challenges.

RULES

** Books DO NOT have to be mysteries. You can use any genres.

** A book can only be used once for this challenge, but can be used for other challenges (Seasonal, World Trip, Ultimate, etc.).

** You DO NOT have to choose books in advance.

** Do as many as you are able and have fun!

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement (Suggested authors/books: Jennie Bentley, Juliet Blackwell, Kate Carlisle; A Spirited Manor, Death at the Manor, The House of the Seven Gables; The Four-Story Mistake; The Red House Mystery; Murder at Hatfield House; Peril at End House; Crooked House; The Julius House; The Beach House by Patterson; The Beach House by Monroe; Beach House No. 9; The Haunting of Hill House; The Gingerbread House; Gingerbread Houses).

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover (boots, ice skates, shoes, slippers, snowshoes, etc).

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title. (Suggested authors/books: J.A. Konrath; Michele Scott; Ellen Crosby; Nina Wright; Mai Tai One On, Murder and Mai Tais; Whiskey Rebellion, Haunted on Bourbon Street; Champagne Girl; Roses and Champagne; Champagne for One; The Trouble with Mojitos; Margaritaville; Tales from Margaritaville; A Fatal Glass of Beer; The Eggnog Chronicles; Death By Bourbon)

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. (Bonus: Bake cookies)

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title.

message 2: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Here's hoping I can actually get to some of the books I pulled out for this month's challenge! Last month was pretty much a bust for me. :-S

message 3: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
My God, I haven't done half of November challenge yet ;(

message 4: by Valerie (last edited Dec 24, 2015 04:32AM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments I'm in.
5/5

1. Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement. Give Up the Ghost

2. Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover. Tails, You Lose

3. Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title. Olive and Let Die

4. Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. The Single Undead Moms Club

5. Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title. Love on Main Street
Give Up the Ghost (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #6) by Juliet Blackwell Olive and Let Die (Greek to Me Mystery #2) by Susannah Hardy The Single Undead Moms Club (Half-Moon Hollow, #4) by Molly Harper Tails, You Lose (Witch City Mystery, #2) by Carol J. Perry Love on Main Street by Juliet Blackwell

message 5: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marisa wrote: "My God, I haven't done half of November challenge yet ;("

Join the club! :-\

Sorry if it seems like I'm getting the December challenge up a bit earlier than usual, but with Thanksgiving being this Thursday for we Americans, I thought it good to get this posted before the holiday.

message 6: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

No problem, more time to look for books but it gives me a cleared horizon of the very short time I have for ending the challenge (or trying it,I'm in a different mood and cozies don't fit to me now).

message 7: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marisa wrote: "No problem, more time to look for books but it gives me a cleared horizon of the very short time I have for ending the challenge (or trying it,I'm in a different mood and cozies don't fit to me now)."

Remember: you don't HAVE to use all mysteries for this challenge. ;-)

message 8: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Heather L wrote: "Remember: you don't HAVE to use all mysteries for this challenge. ;-) "

Yes, I know :D, and probably I use a couple of them which are not mysteries, we'll see this week (although concert, thanksgiving dinner -yes it's coming to Spain too..)

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marisa wrote: "although concert, thanksgiving dinner - yes it's coming to Spain too."

Cool! I hear you on the time crunch, too. I'm working one job today and another this evening. I have Tuesday off, but loads to do. Work Wednesday night, Then it's Thanksgiving, work Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday. When am I supposed to find time to read?! :-|

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:36PM) (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Cozy Mysteries

Reading Challenges > December 2015 Mini Challenges

December 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015

Completed 2/7

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement.

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover (boots, ice skates, shoes, slippers, snowshoes, etc).

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title.

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. (Bonus: Bake cookies)

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title.

These are my books.

1. A Painted House
2. Scruffy Brown Shoes and Her Sister's Shoes
3. Cocktails and Dreams and Crib Notes Collection: Hold the Egg Nog READ 12/13/2015
4. Death by Chocolate
5. All Through the Night READ 12/25/2015

A Painted House by John Grisham Scruffy Brown Shoes by Gloria R. Koehler Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1) by Ashley Farley Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1) by Autumn Markus Crib Notes Collection Hold the Egg Nog by Winter Prosapio Death by Chocolate by Sally Berneathy All Through the Night by Mary Higgins Clark

message 11: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Heather L wrote: "Cool! I hear you on the time crunch, too. I'm working one job today and another this evening. I have Tuesday off, but loads to do. Work Wednesday night, Then it's Thanksgiving, work Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday. When am I supposed to find time to read?! :-| "

I understand, I mainly read commuting :(

message 12: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marisa wrote: "I understand, I mainly read commuting :("

I read while riding the bus, but that's only about 20 minutes one way -- and provided the person behind me isn't yelling into her phone, as happened earlier this month. I also try to read at least half an hour before going to bed -- which can turn into a LOT more than that depending on the book/author and how early I have to get up. :D

message 13: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I feel you pain about yelling (I bear quit bad loud noises), and yes, you always finish this chapter.... join the club ;)

message 14: by Linda (last edited Nov 24, 2015 06:52AM) (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7222 comments Pretty good start to picking my books for December. I'll easily get the bonus since I usually bake about 8 different kinds of cookies in December

December Mini-Challenge

National Roof over Your Head Day: A Holiday Yarn

Wear Brown Shoes Day and Put on your own Shoes Day: Together for Christmas

Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day and National Egg Nog Day: Engaged in Murder

National Brownie Day, National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Bake Cookies Day and National Chocolate Day: Cookie Dough or Die (Bonus: Bake cookies)

Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Christmas Bliss

A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4) by Sally Goldenbaum Together for Christmas (Kismet, Michigan, #3) by Lisa Plumley Engaged in Murder (Perfect Proposals #1) by Nancy J. Parra Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1) by Virginia Lowell Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4) by Mary Kay Andrews

message 15: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Dec 20, 2015 05:41AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4498 comments December Mini-Challenge

5/5

1. Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement.

Death Comes To Kurland Hall...12/5/15

2. Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover.

Beach Blanket Barbie....12/12/15

3. Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title.

Death Will Get You Sober....12/1/15

4. Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title.

Fudging the Books....12/16/15

5. Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title.

Christmas Cozy.....12/19/15

Death Comes To Kurland Hall (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #3) by Catherine Lloyd Beach Blanket Barbie (Zoe Donovan Mystery #6) by Kathi Daley Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1) by Elizabeth Zelvin Fudging the Books by Daryl Wood Gerber Christmas Cozy (Zoe Donovan Mystery, #11) by Kathi Daley

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky | 228 comments 1. Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement.

message 17: by Jessalee (new)

Jessalee Shields-Dulaney (jessalee2) | 9 comments Do we post the books we are reading for each challenge on here? The title and author.. I am not to sure about my abilities with posting pictures. :) Sure am looking forward to completing this challenge!

message 18: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Jessy wrote: "Do we post the books we are reading for each challenge on here? The title and author.. I am not to sure about my abilities with posting pictures. :) Sure am looking forward to completing this chall..."

Hi Jessy,
You do not have to choose or post books in advance, but if you choose to participate, you will have to list them when you complete the challenge.

message 19: by Jessalee (new)

Jessalee Shields-Dulaney (jessalee2) | 9 comments I will post them as soon as I found the ones I want to read then. I am looking forward to doing this challenge! Thank you so very much!

message 20: by Carla (last edited Dec 25, 2015 08:18PM) (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments I am in. 5/5

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover: Christmas at the Vicarage12/08/2015

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover: One Potion in the Grave 12/11/2015

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Killer Cocktail12/23/2015

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. (Bonus: Bake cookies): Dangerously Dark, I bake most of December. 12/25/2015

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title. Four Weddings and a White Christmas12/04/2015

Christmas at the Vicarage by Rebecca Boxall One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery #2) by Heather Blake Killer Cocktail by Tracy Kiely Dangerously Dark by Colette London Four Weddings and a White Christmas (Cherry Pie Island, #5) by Jenny Oliver

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Jessy wrote: "Do we post the books we are reading for each challenge on here? The title and author.. I am not to sure about my abilities with posting pictures. :) Sure am looking forward to completing this chall..."

Jessy, when you want to post a picture of the book, all you have to do is click on the words in the top right hand corner that say add book/author (when you are posting), and it will give you the choice for having the cover showing. You can just have the words with the link as well. I like both, since on the iPad the covers do not always show up in the app.

message 22: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 49 comments I'm in.
0/5

message 23: by Julesy (last edited Dec 28, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Julesy | 1312 comments Julesy's tracking post
December mini challenge

Updated: Dec. 28th
Progress: 5/5

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement
Christmas with Tucker by Greg Kincaid Christmas with Tucker by Greg Kincaid

A Stony Point Christmas (Annie's Attic Mysteries #21) by K.D. McCrite A Stony Point Christmas by K.D. McCrite - The baby doll is wearing Mary Janes.

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title.
Yappy Hour A Mystery by Diana Orgain Yappy Hour: A Mystery by Diana Orgain - There are alcohol beverages on the cover and the book features a Wine & Bark bar that allows dogs during the Yappy Hour.

[bookciver:The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop|25268632] The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop by J.A. Whiting
Bonus: I did bake pumpkin bread for Christmas. Does that count? ;-)

A Christmas Howl by Laurien Berenson A Christmas Howl by Laurien Berenson - The puppy's scarf on the cover has snowflakes on it.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Williams (carsinger) | 45 comments DECEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement.

message 25: by Sherrie (last edited Nov 27, 2015 01:59PM) (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments December 2015 Challenge
0/5 Finished

message 26: by Brenda (last edited Dec 13, 2015 05:26PM) (new)

Brenda | 123 comments I'm in -

December 2015 mini challenge
5/5

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: The Murder Pit - Finished 12/13/15

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: The Chocolate Clown Corpse - Finished 12/13/15

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Death Crashes the Party - Finished 12/5/15

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Murder Most Finicky - Finished 12/9/15

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: On Thin Icing - Finished 12/10/15

Death Crashes the Party by Vickie Fee Murder Most Finicky (A Pawsitively Organic Mystery, #4) by Liz Mugavero On Thin Icing (A Bakeshop Mystery, #3) by Ellie Alexander The Murder Pit (A Moose River Mystery Book 1) by Jeff Shelby The Chocolate Clown Corpse (A Chocoholic Mystery, #14) by JoAnna Carl

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I'm in. :) My post can be found HERE. As of now, I've only picked out two of the five, but I've got all month to figure out the others. :)

message 28: by Sunsettowers (last edited Dec 28, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Sunsettowers | 5 comments I'm in! I already have some ideas of books I want to read for this-I love challenges :)

December 2015 Mini Challenge:

Progress: 3/5

1. Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement : Home for the Homicide by Jennie Bentley.

2. Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover (boots, ice skates, shoes, slippers, snowshoes, etc). Going Out in Style by Chloe Green

4. Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. (Bonus: Bake cookies)

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

message 29: by Amber (last edited Dec 30, 2015 03:50PM) (new)

Amber (arboan) | 108 comments 1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvementA Timely Vision 12.05.15

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover Death Turns a Trick 12.25.15

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day: Read a book with an alcoholic beverage on the cover or in the title. If Fried Chicken Could Fly 12.28.15

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title. Criminal Confections 12.27.15

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title.Killer Christmas 12.29.15

A Timely Vision (A Missing Pieces Mystery #1) by Joyce Lavene Death Turns a Trick (Rebecca Schwartz, #1) by Julie Smith Criminal Confections by Colette London If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1) by Paige Shelton Killer Christmas (An Emma Wild Holiday Mystery #1) by Harper Lin

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise | 3870 comments Marisa wrote: "My God, I haven't done half of November challenge yet ;("
Your comment gave me a laugh Marisa! I know that feeling...

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 50 comments I agree November was a write off! That said, hopefully with the holidays coming I'll be able to read a bit more.

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover

2. December 4 is Wear Brown Shoes Day and December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Read a book with some sort of footwear on the cover

3. December 5 is Bathtub Party Day and Repeal Day (The 21st Amendment ended Prohibition, during which bathtub gin was popular), and December 24 is National Egg Nog Day

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title.

message 32: by Rachel Anne (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) Progress: 1/5

1. December 3 is National Roof over Your Head Day: Read a book with a house on the cover, or about home improvement

4. December 8 is National Brownie Day, Dec 16 National Chocolate Covered Anything Day, Dec 18 Bake Cookies Day and Dec 24 National Chocolate Day: Read a book with dessert on the cover or in the title.

5. December 27 is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day: Read a book with snow or snowflakes on the cover or in the title. Killer Christmas by Harper Lin (12/06/2015 - 4.5 stars)

message 33: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

(1 / 5)

4. National Brownie Day / National Chocolate Covered Anything Day / Bake Cookies Day / National Chocolate Day: The Ginseng Conspiracy by Susan Bernhardt (12/07/2015 - ★★★★)

The Ginseng Conspiracy (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 1) by Susan Bernhardt

message 34: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 71 comments This is great! Thanks for posting it! Im on it!

message 35: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

(2 / 5)

1. National Roof over Your Head Day: The Cats that Stalked a Ghost by Karen Anne Golden (12/07/2015 - ★★★★)

4. National Brownie Day / National Chocolate Covered Anything Day / Bake Cookies Day / National Chocolate Day: The Ginseng Conspiracy by Susan Bernhardt (12/07/2015 - ★★★★)

The Cats that Stalked a Ghost (The Cats that . . . Cozy Mystery Book 6) by Karen Anne Golden The Ginseng Conspiracy (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 1) by Susan Bernhardt

message 36: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 71 comments 1 National Roof Over Your Head Day: Wreck The Halls by Sarah Graves.

2 Wear Brown Shoes Day/Put on your own shoes day: Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery) by Blaize Clement.

3 Bathtub Party for Prohibition ending: Whiskey Sour (A Jack Daniels Mystery) by J A Konrath.

4 National Brownie Day/Chocolate Covered Anything Day: Carrot Cake Murder (A Hanna Swensen Mystery) by Joanne Fluke.

5 Make cut out snowflakes Day: Vineyard Prey (Marthas Vineyard Mystery) by Philip R Craig.

I think we should add a 6th... For Christmas!
I am going to read Hercule Poirot's Christmas!

message 37: by Jessalee (new)

Jessalee Shields-Dulaney (jessalee2) | 9 comments I missed it.. will have to do the next one :(

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7222 comments Jessy wrote: "I missed it.. will have to do the next one :("

Still plenty of time to join in on this one! So far I've only read one book for this challenge and any books you've read so far in December can count if they fit the challenges.

message 39: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Annamarie wrote: "1 National Roof Over Your Head Day: Wreck The Halls by Sarah Graves.

2 Wear Brown Shoes Day/Put on your own shoes day: Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery) by Blaize Clement...."

Five is more than enough minis each month, especially considering all the other challenges in which group members participate. '-)

message 40: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1312 comments Annamarie wrote: "I think we should add a 6th... For Christmas!"

I just include Christmas books as part of my mini challenges.

message 41: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Dec 12, 2015 01:21AM) (new)

(3 / 5)

1. National Roof over Your Head Day: The Cats that Stalked a Ghost by Karen Anne Golden (12/07/2015 - ★★★★)

2. Wear Brown Shoes Day / December 6 Put on your own Shoes Day: Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore by Rose Pressey (12/11/2015 - ★★★)

The Cats that Stalked a Ghost (The Cats that . . . Cozy Mystery Book 6) by Karen Anne Golden Haunt Couture and Ghosts Galore (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #3) by Rose Pressey The Ginseng Conspiracy (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 1) by Susan Bernhardt

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 123 comments Update to #26 - I'm finished this month with time to spare! Not sure what to pick out of the TBR pile next - looking forward to the Winter seasonal challenge to be released so that I can decide on my words.

message 43: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1312 comments Fantastic job for finishing so early, Brenda!

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congratulations Brenda! :)

message 45: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Brenda!

message 46: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job, Brenda!

message 47: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Awesome job Brenda, so much time left this month too. Way to go.

message 48: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Brenda!

message 49: by Sunsettowers (new)

Sunsettowers | 5 comments That's awesome, Brenda!

I just finished my first book for this challenge, Going Out in Style by Chloe Green.

message 50: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Dec 20, 2015 05:43AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4498 comments Congrats, Brenda.

Finished my last book yesterday: Christmas Cozy (Zoe Donovan Mystery, #11) by Kathi Daley ....5/5

« previous 1