Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month December 2015 - Foundation and The Lions of Al-Rassan

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners for December are:

Sci-fi: Foundation
Fantasy: The Lions of Al-Rassan

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments can't wait to see what new readers think of Foundation.

message 3: by Genesee (new)

Genesee Rickel (geneseerickel) The Foundation trilogy (I've heard most people read the three short novels as one), or just the first book?

I'm excited! The Foundation trilogy has been on my list for ages! And The Lions of Al-Rassan is one of my all time favorites!

message 4: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Just the first book - around 250 pages apparently. :)

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Should be less intimidating to get people into it

message 6: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I just picked up a used copy of the foundation trilogy a few weeks ago so hopefully I can join in

message 7: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1986 comments Mod
Good choices this month

message 8: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2785 comments Mod
Really don't feel like rereading Foundation, but I likely will. It was good, and all, just wasn't a huge favorite of mine. Oh well. Never even heard of this other one, I'm curious now.

message 9: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 81 comments Now if I can just remember which box my ancient copy of Foundation is in...

message 10: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1986 comments Mod
Wayland wrote: "Really don't feel like rereading Foundation, but I likely will. It was good, and all, just wasn't a huge favorite of mine. Oh well. Never even heard of this other one, I'm curious now."

Have you heard of Guy Gavriel Kay? I've read two of his other books and they both are quite good, check out Tigana if you like the BOTM.

message 11: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret Have been reading Foundation for awhile, and while some portions are interesting, it's now blowing me away as much as I'd hoped. We'll see how it is when I'm done with it.

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments I've been wanting to go on with the series. I wonder if its on scribd ?

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments I read the first Foundation book earlier this year, it'll be a good one for discussion, I think! I've also been meaning to finish the trilogy so maybe this will be that motivation.

I've never read Guy Gavriel Kay, but I've often seen him recommended for fans of Jacqueline Carey, whose Kushiel series books I loved. Hoping to participate in this read for sure.

message 14: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Magnan | 9 comments Been reading to read Foundation for a while.

message 15: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1753 comments Foundation has been on my list for ages! :) Never heard of the other but always up for something new

message 16: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I'm in for Foundation just as soon as I finish Jekyll & Hyde. I'm catching a plane on Friday so it'll give me something to do.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I'm in for Foundation just as soon as I finish Jekyll & Hyde. I'm catching a plane on Friday so it'll give me something to do.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1154 comments Rinn wrote: "Just the first book - around 250 pages apparently. :)"

One notes that because they are fix-ups, the divisions of Foundation into books are arbitrary.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I will probably only have time for one of these this month and they both sound good. How am I supposed to decide???
Why couldn't they do me a favor and one of them sound boring....

message 20: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Crawford (kylies_nook) Loving the lions of al-rassan so far! Excellent choice!!

message 21: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1753 comments Ryan wrote: "I'm in for Foundation just as soon as I finish Jekyll & Hyde. I'm catching a plane on Friday so it'll give me something to do."

What do you think of Jekyll and Hyde? I found it really hard to read for such a little book.

message 22: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 100 comments I've read Lions some two years ago, after Tigana and a couple of other books by him. I thought that The Curse of Chalion (and Tigana, too) is a good bit better than this one, but I liked it. Care for my review?

message 23: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Lel wrote: "What do you think of Jekyll and Hyde? I found it really hard to read for such a little book. "

I only gave it two stars. It was far too slow.

message 24: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Magnan | 9 comments Lel wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I'm in for Foundation just as soon as I finish Jekyll & Hyde. I'm catching a plane on Friday so it'll give me something to do."

What do you think of Jekyll and Hyde? I found it really..."

Some books, classics or not, I just have the hardest time getting through. One reason I joined groups like this is to (hopefully) encourage myself to see even slower books or books I think I may not like to the end. Did that with Golden Son and am glad I did.

message 25: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2785 comments Mod
I actually really liked Jeckyll and Hyde. A thought it was a good story, and it was groundbreaking for its time. I also like Stevenson, though, so maybe I'm biased.

message 26: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Magnan | 9 comments Wayland wrote: "I actually really liked Jeckyll and Hyde. A thought it was a good story, and it was groundbreaking for its time. I also like Stevenson, though, so maybe I'm biased."
I'll be honest, that p[articular one I have not read yet. On ymy very, very long list. lol.

message 27: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1753 comments Ryan wrote: "One reason I joined groups like this is to (hopefully) encourage myself to see even slower books or books I think I may not like to the end"

Same here and this group has steered me to some amazing books that I would never have looked at twice without them. A Scanner Darkly being one.

message 28: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1753 comments Wayland wrote: "I actually really liked Jeckyll and Hyde. A thought it was a good story, and it was groundbreaking for its time. I also like Stevenson, though, so maybe I'm biased."

I did like it but thought I would manage to read that on a quiet afternoon. It ended up being a two day event with a dictionary constantly on stand by. :)

message 29: by 4T2 (new)

4T2 The Lions of Al Rassan and Foundation are two of my favourite books of all time! I'm sad I joined just in time to miss these two

message 30: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

No worries, you can join in the discussion any time - our discussion threads stay open indefinitely :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.