Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Not a Knight and His Lady Warrior

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments “Give me the sword, sir.”
“Oh, I will.” He sprang to his feet and drove at her, the longsword alive in his hands. Lady Warrior jumped back, parrying, but he followed, pressing the attack. No sooner did she turn one cut than the next was upon her. The swords kissed and sprang apart and kissed again. Not a Knight’s blood was singing. This was what he was meant for; he never felt so alive as when he was fighting, with death balanced on every stroke. And with my wrists chained together, the wench may even give me a contest for a time. His chains forced him to use a two-handed grip, though of course the weight and reach were less than if the blade had been a true two-handed greatsword, but what did it matter? His cousin’s sword was long enough to write an end to this Lady Warrior.
High, low, overhand, he rained down steel upon her. Left, right, backslash, swinging so hard that sparks flew when the swords came together, upswing, sideslash, overhand, always attacking, moving into her, step and slide, strike and step, step and strike, hacking, slashing, faster, faster, faster . . .
. . . until, breathless, he stepped back and let the point of the sword fall to the ground, giving her a moment of respite. “Not half bad,” he acknowledged. “For a wench.”
She took a slow deep breath, her eyes watching him warily. “I would not hurt you, sir.”
“As if you could.” He whirled the blade back up above his head and flew at her again, chains rattling.
Not a Knight’s could not have said how long he pressed the attack. It might have been minutes or it might have been hours; time slept when swords woke. He drove her away from his cousin’s corpse, drove her across the road, drove her into the trees. She stumbled once on a root she never saw, and for a moment he thought she was done, but she went to one knee instead of falling, and never lost a beat. Her sword leapt up to block a downcut that would have opened her from shoulder to groin, and then she cut at him, again and again, fighting her way back to her feet stroke by stroke.
The dance went on. He pinned her against an oak, cursed as she slipped away, followed her through a shallow brook half-choked with fallen leaves. Steel rang, steel sang, steel screamed and sparked and scraped, and the woman started grunting like a sow at every crash, yet somehow he could not reach her. It was as if she had an iron cage around her that stopped every blow.
“Not bad at all,” he said when he paused for a second to catch his breath, circling to her right.
“For a wench?”
“For a squire, say. A green one.” He laughed a ragged, breathless laugh. “Come on, come on, my sweetling, the music’s still playing. Might I have this dance, my lady?”
Grunting, she came at him, blade whirling, and suddenly it was Jaime struggling to keep steel from skin. One of her slashes raked across his brow, and blood ran down into his right eye. The Others take her, and Riverrun as well! His skills had gone to rust and rot in that bloody dungeon, and the chains were no great help either. His eye closed, his shoulders were going numb from the jarring they’d taken, and his wrists ached from the weight of chains, manacles, and sword. His longsword grew heavier with every blow, and Jaime knew he was not swinging it as quickly as he’d done earlier, nor raising it as high.
She is stronger than I am.
The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain’s strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so . . . by rights, she should be the one wearing down.
Instead she forced him back into the brook again, shouting, “Yield! Throw down the sword!”
A slick stone turned under Not a Knight’s’s foot. As he felt himself falling, he twisted the mischance into a diving lunge. His point scraped past her parry and bit into her upper thigh. A red flower blossomed, and Not a Knight’s had an instant to savor the sight of her blood before his knee slammed into a rock. The pain was blinding. Lady Warrior splashed into him and kicked away his sword. “YIELD!”
Not a Knight’s drove his shoulder into her legs, bringing her down on top of him. They rolled, kicking and punching until finally she was sitting astride him. He managed to jerk her dagger from its sheath, but before he could plunge it into her belly she caught his wrist and slammed his hands back on a rock so hard he thought she’d wrenched an arm from its socket. Her other hand spread across his face. “Yield!” She shoved his head down, held it under, pulled it up. “Yield!” Not a Knight’s spit water into her face. A shove, a splash, and he was under again, kicking uselessly, fighting to breathe. Up again. “Yield, or I’ll drown you!”
“And break your oath?” he snarled. “Like me?”
She let him go, and he went down with a splash.
And the woods rang with coarse laughter.
Lady Warriorlurched to her feet. She was all mud and blood below the waist, her clothing askew, her face red. She looks as if they caught us fucking instead of fighting. Not a Knight’s crawled over the rocks to shallow water, wiping the blood from his eye with his chained hands. Armed men lined both sides of the brook. Small wonder, we were making enough noise to wake a dragon. “Well met, friends,” he called to them amiably. “My pardons if I disturbed you. You caught me chastising my wife.”
“Seemed to me she was doing the chastising.”

message 2: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments I’m pretty sure everyone who read the book and/or watch the TV adaptation would know who Not a Knight and his Lady Warrior. I couldn’t resist. I think this is one of the best scene in the whole series, I mean I read it few years ago and I still remember it :)

message 3: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1138 comments I recognize it :)
Yay! At last ONE!!! Lol

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2066 comments Mod
Hm. I think I read tbe first book but I don't recall this scene...then again I'm apparently one of the few who didn't become mesmerized by what I think this comes from.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 993 comments Haven't read it. Whatever it was on television, I haven't seen it. I'm guessing Outlander, but what do I know?

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1886 comments Mod
No idea!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I have an idea? But I haven't ever read the books.

message 8: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Nope, not Outlander.
The tv adaptation was very popular but I only watched some episodes. It wasn't that good. I think they butchered most of the characters there esp these two. That was a shame since I think the actors seems to get their characters really well and have amazing chemistry :(

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments Not sure.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Not familiar at all.

message 11: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I can make an educated guess on the author and series based on discussions with friends who are fans, but I have no idea about the title. If I am right, I have not read the books or seen the TV adaptation.

message 12: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments I have no clue.

message 13: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments Clueless here, too. It sounds like something I might have read, but I'm unaware of a television adaptation.

message 14: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 200 comments I don't think I've read this but it sounds great.

message 15: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2066 comments Mod
Time to give the answer June!

message 16: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments The scene was between Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth from A Storm of Swords, third book in A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. The tv adaptation tittled Game of Throne.

So did you ladies guess it right?
The series not everyone cup of tea, so I could see why many of do not read it, oh and Jaime was more villain than hero actually still I found his povo fascinating.

(sorry the answer took so long, I thought I already post it yesterday, but i don't why, it won't show up)

message 17: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2066 comments Mod
Yeah, I thought it was Game of Thrones. Reading Jaime's profile on Wikipedia made me realize that he was not my cup of tea. Who is he fighting in this scene?

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I found the series at my library. I'm not sure if I'll like it or not but will be giving it a try.

message 19: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments I started watching it and the first episode turned my stomach. Gave it another go down the track...it's just sooo gruesome. Maybe the books would be better for me, but they're a little intimidating.

Thanks for sharing :-) ♥

message 20: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1886 comments Mod
Not what I was expecting! I watch the show, but agree with you, Stacey, that it's gory. And sometimes its just gross. But i like enough of it, i guess. And now I'm invested, I guess, so there's no going back.

I think he's fighting Brienne of Tarth here, Deb. She’s one of my favorite characters. A female knight who gets flack about it at every turn who is, i think, one of the most honorable people in the whole series.

message 21: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I guessed it was from Game of Thrones too. It's not my cup of tea, but I have numerous friends who are huge fans.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Omg I love this show! It's so interesting to see how different and the same the book is! I'm one of those who just cannot wait for April! LONG LIVE JON SNOW

message 23: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1138 comments I've read some of the books and have watched the show but tend to watch with the remote in one hand as some characters just give me the sh*ts lol.
But yes I am also waiting to see the outcome of John Snow!!!!!

message 24: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I've read some of the books and have watched the show but tend to watch with the remote in one hand as some characters just give me the sh*ts lol.
But yes I am also waiting to see the outcome of Jo..."

Hehe, yeah remote nearby would come in handy. I'm guessing these characters are the Boltons and Littlefinger and Tywin?

message 25: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Rachel wrote: "Omg I love this show! It's so interesting to see how different and the same the book is! I'm one of those who just cannot wait for April! LONG LIVE JON SNOW "

Yea, they're a lot different from the TV. Book characters are richer, more colorful, more layered , and since we read from certain POV it help to sympathize with them to certain degree like Jaime, Cersei, and Theon for example.

message 26: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "I started watching it and the first episode turned my stomach. Gave it another go down the track...it's just sooo gruesome. Maybe the books would be better for me, but they're a little intimidating..."

Nicole wrote: "I found the series at my library. I'm not sure if I'll like it or not but will be giving it a try."

oh give it a try, but DO NOT get attached to any character, especially those with last name Stark and Martell, they're doomed

message 27: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Dls wrote: "Yeah, I thought it was Game of Thrones. Reading Jaime's profile on Wikipedia made me realize that he was not my cup of tea. Who is he fighting in this scene?"

he fought Brienne here. Like Manda said Brienne was honorable female knight, basically the opposite of Jaime. Yep Jaime is horrible, but his character so complex and fascinating.
My fav quote about Jaime
" That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead"
That quote was really sad. Arthur Dayne was Jaime's hero and sort of mentor, and also the epitome of the perfect knight while smiling knight was a cruel outlaw who Dayne killed.
I think that quote sum up Jaime's character. He wanted to be good person, someone worthy of songs. Instead, he witnessed something horrible, and it left him bitter and led him to downward spiral. I think his arc is to find his way to be a real knight like he once dreamed of. That make Jaime one of the most fascinating character that I've ever read :)

message 28: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments Manda wrote: "Not what I was expecting! I watch the show, but agree with you, Stacey, that it's gory. And sometimes its just gross. But i like enough of it, i guess. And now I'm invested, I guess, so there's no ..."

yay fellow Brienne fan. Yes Brienne is one of very few good people in the series which make her arc with Jaime really interesting, because they're totally different but also similar in some way. They got this Beauty and the Beast theme going on.
Jaime golden and beautiful on the outside but a beast on the inside. While Brienne, ugly like a beast, but have beautiful and honorable heart.
However I must say bookBrienne more interesting than her TV counterpart. The TV only made her like a badass female fighter, they failed to show her gentle side and her insecurity, and her loyalty to Cat and Renly and then her growing respect for Jaime