The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Expanse TV show (Please Mark Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 287 (287 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Louie (last edited Nov 23, 2015 11:36PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments SyFy's adaptation of Leviathan Wakes into 10 hour long episodes of The Expanse TV show does not premiere until DEC 14, but you can watch the entire first episode right now!

https://youtu.be/FvZeQD1Vf2s
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos...
https://www.facebook.com/ExpanseSyfy/...

For Canadian viewers-
http://www.space.ca/show/the-expanse/...

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Nov 23, 2015 06:19AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3489 comments Mod
I was going to complain that it is blocked to us foreigners (even though I pay for SyFy)

But it's already up on bittorent, so never mind :-)

Edit: Finished just as it was getting good. Solid pilot. About what I expected as far as being a set up and introduction to everyone episode. Visually stunning.
Left me wanting more which is good.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments copyright claim took it down. :(

message 5: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 23, 2015 10:33AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6088 comments Captain Jim Holden has begun the stream. May God forgive him. https://www.goodreads.com/theexpansesyfy

message 6: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Weird. Still works for me.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1318 comments Loved it. It looks great and appears to combo book one and two.

message 8: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Also, the N3RDFUSION guys are doing a special live stream presentation on Twitch today for The Expanse premiere-

We'll be doing a special presentation for the @SyFy channel at 2PM PT / 5PM ET on http://www.twitch.tv/n3rdfusion - be sure to hang out!
— N3RDFUSION (@N3RDFUSION)

As a fan of these guys already, I am curious just what this stream will be.

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
Whose the 5th guy (the doctor I guess?) on the ship? I didn't catch his name and (view spoiler)

I enjoyed it, seems like a good adaptation so far.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Nov 23, 2015 06:37PM) (new)

Rob wrote: "Whose the 5th guy (the doctor I guess?) on the ship? I didn't catch his name"

Shed Garvey. He is in the book. Major spoiler (view spoiler)

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/cast/s...

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
Hmm. Ok. Thanks. Been too long I guess. Imdb didnt list his name.

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Nov 23, 2015 06:54PM) (new)

He isn't even properly named in the episode.
The guy with the missing arm calls him Shedman.

Possible spoiler for future episode (view spoiler)

message 13: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Finished just as it was getting good. Solid pilot."

The pilot that will air on DEC 14 is actually a 2 hour long episode. The one posted yesterday is just the first half.

message 14: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 429 comments The series will be on Space in Canada. You can watch the 1st episode now at http://www.space.ca/show/the-expanse/...

message 15: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 38 comments Does the first season cover the first two books in the series (Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War)?

message 16: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1527 comments If so, they'd catch up to the books quicker then "Game of Thrones".

Just watched. That was pretty damn good. So far seems like a decent adaptation.

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6088 comments It's on Comcast On Demand too.

message 18: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Adrian wrote: "Does the first season cover the first two books in the series (Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War)?"

It looks like they're bringing in Avasarala from the second book as a character in this one. They'll probably use her to give the Earth government's point of view of the events of Leviathan Wakes.

message 19: by Olaf (last edited Nov 24, 2015 11:51PM) (new)

Olaf | 31 comments Somehow I'm really surprised that special effects look so good, I mean we got really tall Belters and decent looking 0 gravity scenes.

I knew there will be some changes that come from the fact that what works on paper doesn't always translate well to tv screen, but it still annoys me (probably because the first book is still fresh in my mind)

The fact that book authors are actively working on the tv show makes me optimistic.

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments I thought it was okay.

I've only read the first book, and years ago at that, so I wasn't super clear on what was going on. I'll have to rewatch the episode again when the second one debuts.

message 21: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 27, 2015 07:30AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6088 comments I started it a second time with closed captioning on. There's a lot of info dumping and alien language in the beginning. Somehow things look cooler on screen than in the book, like "flip and burn". I think you need to brace against something to have zero gravity sex though. :)

I missed Avasarala's "salty" language.

It's been a while since I read the first book, so things are hazy for me. I didn't realize what happens to the bigger ship. And Holden had a gf on there?

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I think they mixed a lot of the stuff up and changed the people around a bit. I'm reading the book now and I was also confused.

message 23: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments They mixed up a few things, but not that much really. Not "a lot".

Holden did have a thing with Ade in the book too (although she had a different ethnicity and last name in the book). The same thing happened to the bigger ship (Canterbury).

Things that were changed from the book: Holden actually was XO in the book, and the distress call logs are never deleted. We never meet Miller's ex(-wife) in the book (in the show she is combined with another character from the book, a colleague with whom he partners up with at one point). That's basically it as far as bigger things go, plus that of course the Avasarala plot line is new.

message 24: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1527 comments I could be way off on this. But I always got the feeling that the authors really liked the character Avasarala. And it wouldn't have surprised me, that if they had been given another chance, they would have included her from the beginning. Maybe this was another chance. I just hope her story is developed enough that it doesn't just feel tacked on.

message 25: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments Tobias wrote: "They mixed up a few things, but not that much really. Not "a lot".

Holden did have a thing with Ade in the book too (although she had a different ethnicity and last name in the book). The same thi..."

seemed like "a lot" to me. However still liked it.

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments i don't read as fast as I used to do to many things like time & headaches but I hope I get to finish the book before seeing the next part of the show. Also hopefully start on the second book to TRY to avoid as many spoilers and as much confusion as possible.

message 27: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "I could be way off on this. But I always got the feeling that the authors really liked the character Avasarala."

Without her the only political point-of-view is Fred. By being who she is, because she has to be one step ahead of the "enemy" (Mars, in the early books), she does an excellent job at framing both the Earth and Mars politics.

She could have no story arc at all and still be essential to the story.

message 28: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments I liked it but I didn't like that they scimped on giving Naomi a belter look. Maybe they figured it would be too hard since she'll be in the show so much whereas they can do the random belter in the background.

message 29: by David (new)

David J | 2 comments Excellent start. Stunning visuals, seemingly well picked actors (especially Miller - although I pictured him a little "heavier"). Can't wait for the series to continue! Hope we get a couple season out of it. Also pushes me to read faster.

message 30: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments Rik wrote: "I liked it but I didn't like that they scimped on giving Naomi a belter look. Maybe they figured it would be too hard since she'll be in the show so much whereas they can do the random belter in th..."

Yes, exactly that. http://www.danielabraham.com/2014/11/...

message 31: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "I could be way off on this. But I always got the feeling that the authors really liked the character Avasarala."

Yeah, she's great.

I'm impressed by the people who can pick up combined characters et cetera. A year after I've read the book, I'd be hard pressed to remember details of the major characters.

message 32: by Kardo (new)

Kardo (bosskardo) | 48 comments Anyone else think belters should be thinner and taller?

Hope they do novel 2 too, should be interesting how they play it.

message 33: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments I'm surprised that they made any attempt at doing belter physiology at all. They wouldn't be able to do the really tall big head thing without CGI and it already looks hellishly expensive.

Instead they've opted for some tall thin actors and got creative with camera angles.

message 34: by Kardo (new)

Kardo (bosskardo) | 48 comments I'm very pleased that they made an effort to be realistic with everything. There were some mistakes but not anything big.

message 35: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments Kardo wrote: "Anyone else think belters should be thinner and taller?

Hope they do novel 2 too, should be interesting how they play it."

I already linked to this, but it bears repeating: http://www.danielabraham.com/2014/11/...

Also, they're already writing season 2 actually. Seems the odds are pretty good that we'll get it if season 1 doesn't tank horribly.

message 36: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Caldwell | 141 comments Tobias wrote: "They mixed up a few things, but not that much really. Not "a lot".

Holden did have a thing with Ade in the book too (although she had a different ethnicity and last name in the book). The same thi..."

Yeah I thought the log deletion was different. Maybe they thought survivor's guilt wasn't traumatic enough for Holden, so they want to torment him with the consequences of his decision to force the Canterbury back to investigate. I don't know how much they'll play up on that though.

message 37: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments hello? are they just showing the same first episode tonight or something different?

message 38: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Same. But episode two tomorrow.

message 39: by Gaines (last edited Dec 14, 2015 06:19PM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 198 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "...it is blocked to us foreigners (even though I pay for SyFy)..."

So annoying, eh. I pay for it too, but it's blocked in Australia!!! >.<

message 40: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Chakara wrote: "hello? are they just showing the same first episode tonight or something different?"

Lindsay wrote: "Same. But episode two tomorrow."

This is why I held off from watching the "digital" premiere, three weeks ago. It was only the first half of the two part pilot. And I would have been so irritated to have to wait so long for the second half.

message 41: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I really enjoyed the first episode. They did a great job of worldbuilding so far. I don't yet care too much about the characters but I'm willing to sacrifice a little character early on to build up the world.

message 42: by Alan (new)

Alan Broad | 1 comments Just reading the first book now, so I'm kinda bummed that it's not available in the UK and there's been no air date announced over here yet either. Hope it doesn't take too long :-)

message 43: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments i hope its showing at 10 so i can watch it. 10pm est.

message 44: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Dec 15, 2015 04:57PM) (new)

It looks like Episodes 3 & 4 have leaked onto the internet. But not 2 which is weird. :-?

But that is only hours away. So I know what I'm watching tomorrow :-)

message 45: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments watching now. :) this is the first time in a while that I have watched actual television. :)

message 46: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments The production values are excellent.

I remember the book being substantially better, though.

message 47: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments Trike wrote: "The production values are excellent.

I remember the book being substantially better, though."

i'm not done with the book but I'd have to agree. This second half didn't really hold my interest and with me having a bit of familiarity with the book because I'm reading it now, I was still confused at some points or felt like I was left out of an inside joke or something. So for someone who hasn't gotten any background from the novels they might be even more lost.

I have no idea if I explained that well or not. I'm pooped which also might be why I couldn't get drawn into this second half. :(

message 48: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 468 comments I thought the first episode was good. The second episode was a little slow moving. I really like Miller's parts; the scenes with Holden and crew, not so much. Avasarala, I'm undecided about, which is a little disappointing because I liked these characters in the book. Maybe it's because the actors aren't portraying them as I imagined them, I don't know. Anyway, I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

message 49: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I'm concerned about if people who actually haven't read the books will keep with the show. I'm not sure they'd understand it. I was a bit confused it seemed like mostly the characters were sitting around and nothing really happened. I think part of the success of other shows like GOT that have been turned into successful TV shows is that you don't have to have read the books to understand the story and the characters. Or to care about them and what is happening. Any who the next two are available online to view now (I'm not sure why SyFy is doing it like this but its good news for people who can't get it in their country) so I might check it out.

message 50: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I'm watching it with someone who hasn't read the books and is having no problem following what's going on. There may be nuance lost here or there that is augmented by knowing the story as presented in the novels, but it's not crippling.

Some potential SPOILERS below, but not really.

The big change in episode two was Holden's motivation for sending the message. It will be treated as a small change, something inconsequential if you've not read the books, but it's a major alteration. His most interesting flaw as a character is to "do the right thing" because he's pissed off that someone is getting away with something evil, only to realize after the fact that his actions have massive consequences. As presented in the show, it's a desperate act to buy themselves a bit of insurance. We wind up in the same place, of course, but I like a more complex "Holden does the right thing and billions suffer as a result" storyline.

Still, overall I'm happy with everything but Thomas Jane's hair. No wonder Miller wears a hat.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6