Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > Unforgivable by Laura Griffin

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments At first, Mia Voss thinks it’s just bad luck when her already lousy day ends with a carjacking, but what seems like a random incident is followed by another sinister episode. A DNA expert, Mia has made it her mission to put away vicious criminals. Suddenly, she’s become the target of one. And the only way to protect the people she loves most is to deliberately destroy her reputation and risk letting a killer walk free.

Once, Mia trusted Detective Ric Santos, but that was before Ric let his turbulent past ruin his chances with Mia, the sexiest, most intriguing woman he’s ever met. But he can tell when she’s lying—and when she’s scared. The key to catching a sadistic madman lies within a long-buried cold case that has haunted Mia for years. Only she can uncover the truth, but first, Ric will have to get her to entrust him with her secrets . . . and her life.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am about half way through with this book and I love it. I think Mia should talk to Ric about all trouble she is in, but then again I am sitting back as the reader, not the person who is being terrorized and being told your loved ones will be killed if you talk about it.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I've always wondered how people would react in real life to the "Don't tell anyone or else" threat. Somehow I've always thought I would confide in someone I trusted because I wouldn't necessarily trust my own reactions. Because this is my inclination, it always has me trying to get the character to trust someone earlier than the writer has them trust someone. Even though I loved the book, this was a frustrating element for me.

message 4: by Anita (last edited Nov 23, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I want to start this one now, but I have an ARC to read next. I won't get to this until after that. I absolutely can't keep a secret. I would tell. I couldn't not tell. Not in my DNA. I agree, I always want them to tell and I know they won't until the author decided the time is right for the plot.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Nov 24, 2015 11:49PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Anita wrote: "I want to start this one now, but I have an ARC to read next. I won't get to this until after that. I absolutely can't keep a secret. I would tell. I couldn't not tell. Not in my DNA. I agree, I al..."

I am the same way. In this book she couldn't tell at the time was because he was listening while she got the evidence and transferred it to one bag then got in her car and destroyed the evidence. I would have written something down and faked getting the evidence. This is indefitaley a book to read.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Can't wait to start. need to post my Review of the ARC I just finished then I can read.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I'm about half way through. Ric and Mia are a hot couple. To bad trust is a real issue with them. I much prefer a couple who works together to solve the mystery. Ric has some real deep commitment issues and has totally closed himself to the possibility of a relationship with Mia.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments There were definitely a couple of times I wanted to hit him over the head and tell him to get over his issues, Mia is so perfect for you.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I know what you mean. Mia is a smart, sexy woman and all he wants is a fling with no strings, or feelings, attached. He knows she is not wired for that, yet he moves on her anyway. And Mia. She knows all Ric wants is sex with no commitment, yet she lets go and has sex with him - then she shuts down. What is that about?

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments On the other hand I wanted to hit Mia over the head to make her tell Ric about the threat to her nephew, instead of trying to do it alone. That was just stupid. I understand she was threatened, but...

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy | 745 comments I'm finally ready to start this one and am sorry that I am so far behind everyone else. Based on everyone's comments, I'm anxious to read it.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Judy - read fast. I think we are all about ready to move on to the next book Snapped (Tracers #4) by Laura Griffin

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy | 745 comments I just finished Unforgivable. It was a great read, but I too got a little frustrated with Mia holding things back that could have helped in the investigation. I know she thought she was protecting her family, but other lives were being put in danger.

I'm sorry that I was so far behind the rest of you in getting this read. Just a really busy time.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments We all are busy right now. I also didn't like how she withheld information. In the real world, she could have gotten everyone killed by that. But, here she sets up the finale and she comes off as a heroine. I much prefer when the H/h work together.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Anita wrote: "We all are busy right now. I also didn't like how she withheld information. In the real world, she could have gotten everyone killed by that. But, here she sets up the finale and she comes off as a..."

I agree with you when the H/h work together. I was not a real fan of Mia. I understand she was scared for her nephew, but she didn't have the expertise to stop the threat. I also know by hanging out with cops you don't trust the bad guy.

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments I didn't really like her either! In the prior books when she was a minor character, she came off as smart, savvy and grounded. She was none of those things in this book and I was really disappointed.

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree with you about not liking her in this book, I try to play the devil's advocate and think of with this book is it kind of shows no matter how grounded a person is when they are under tremendous stress they can do stupid things. Since I am embarrassed to say that I have done that, I can empathize with Mia.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments So do we want to read the next book in the series? The book is called Snapped.

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1586 comments Yes! I have two books to do as ARC's but should be able to read Snapped the second week of January.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments That sounds Wonderful. I need to order it from the library and that will probably take that long to get it. I will put up a thread for it.