What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > books similar to psy/changling or the guild hunter series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mani (new)

Mani | 13 comments I have been reading Nalini Singh's books for a while and I really like her writing style. I was wondering if someone can suggest more books like her Psy/Changling series or the guild hunter series? The things I like about them is that the relationship between the H/h and the people around them. The bond between the MC and their friends. Also the MC don't jump each other before even knowing each other. I liked the relationship Elena had with Raphael in Guild Hunter series, He was all powerful in the beginning an d that doesn't change throughout the series, but he still falls for Elena. Also A big No-No for me is cheating of any kind, whether its acting on it or even thing about it. The thing that I liked about the GH series was that the characters never cross their limits in a relationship. once they fall for the main character they don't look at others.I hate it when authors start of with one hero in the beginning of a series and them have the main heroine feel for other heroes as the book/series goes on to make it more exciting. I can't stand that. Also friends that have feelings for heroine or hero, and the H/h still kind of wishy washies between the MC, cant stand that either. even the hint of another potential hero or heroine makes the series bad for me. Sorry for the long description, I just wanted to give as much info as possible. If you can recommend me a series like that, i'll be grateful.
Thank You.

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1342 comments I'm a huge NS fan, so am pretty much posting here so that I can see the recs too. I can thing of a couple, but not sure if they'll suit you. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any that are a 'strong' - story, writing, character - as NS. Maybe the BDB, but that's a hell of a lot darker than NS too.

Traci Harding, Gene of Isis series & Dark Age, The series. There is a little bit of friends crushing, but it's all explained and the H/h aren't the ones doing the crushing... for the most part :/. But as I said, it's only a little, and it's all fully explained as part of the story, so it's not really co-mingling as such.

Melissa Haag, Hope(less) (Judgement of the Six) series. I haven't finished the series yet... and I now realize that there is a bit of crushing, but again, the story explains it, and it's not really the co-mingling your talking about.

Faith Gibson, Rafael series. I've only read this first one.

R.L. Mathewson, Tall, Dark & Lonely series.

Cassandra Clare, City of Bones series. Pretty good, but I haven't kept up with the last few books.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 43 comments Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalker series. She has other series and stand-alone books that are good. No extracurricular crushing. But they do tend to jump in the sack pretty quick. But it fits with the stories.

Alexis Morgan's Darkness Series is also good. Paranormal no crushing on anyone else. Good character development.

I also am a huge NS fan. I am always waiting for the next book.

message 4: by Gundega (Rouzmary) (last edited Dec 09, 2015 01:24AM) (new)

Gundega (Rouzmary) (rouzmary) | 7 comments Mani, my thougths exactly! I love NS's GH & Psy-Changeling series & hate if there's any cheating or indecision! I feel like I'd really like you :D

Series that give me the same kind of feeling as these two are:
Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels series Story follows the main couple, only had like 2 books 'bout their friends

Patricia Briggs's Alfa & Omega series Also follows the main couple

Also Briggs's Mercy Thompson series Same as above and while there is a bit of a thinking at the very beginning it doesn't go anywhere and is solved soon enough, it didn't trigger any of my "cheating/indecision" hate

Thea Harrison's Elder Races series I'd say exactly like NS series - follows main couple through out, but their friends have their own books in the story as it progresses

While with a bit of a different feeling, but still just as awesome are C.L Wilson's Tairen Soul series Follows only the main couple and has a sound conclusion, but there's a promise in the future from the author to have books about the friends etc

Also a bit different, but I'd recommend Anne Bishop's The Others series Several povs from characters (which totally works in this one) but the story follows main heroine/hero

Hope it helps!!! Love all these as much as GH & Psy-Changeling series ^^

message 5: by Mani (last edited Jan 23, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Mani | 13 comments MJ wrote: "I'm a huge NS fan, so am pretty much posting here so that I can see the recs too. I can thing of a couple, but not sure if they'll suit you. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any that ar..."

thank you so much for the suggestions!! I have finished the Rafael (the stone society) series! waiting for the next one to come out!! also read the neighbors from hell by R.L. Mathewson, Hilarious as hell!!!! could not stop laughing at some of the stuff H/h did... next up is BDB series!! Some of the other ones that I have liked are Immortal after dark series by Kresley Cole and dark hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. They are a little darker then NS, especially the Dark hunter series, some books made me cry and bawl like a baby, but loved them just the same. Thank you once again!!

message 6: by Mani (new)

Mani | 13 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalker series. She has other series and stand-alone books that are good. No extracurricular crushing. But they do tend to jump in the sack pretty quick. But it fits with the ..."
thank u for the suggestions!! already read the nightwalker series, but the paladins of darkness series look too!! can't wait to start!

message 7: by Mani (new)

Mani | 13 comments Gundega wrote: "Mani, my thougths exactly! I love NS's GH & Psy-Changeling series & hate if there's any cheating or indecision! I feel like I'd really like you :D

Series that give me the same kind of feeling as t..."

Hey!! Thank you so much for the suggestions!!! I have read the elder races series before. love this series almost as much as Singhs books!! <3 <3 <3 Dragos, pia and their peanut <3 <3 <3 Their friends stories are awesome too, especially the djin one <3 started on the Kate Daniels series long time ago but never finished it.. need to go back :) thank u!!! any more suggestions plz let me know!!

message 8: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 77 comments I love Nalini Singh's work! I also detest cheating and indecision. It has soured me on several series that I used to enjoy. One of them was G.A. Aiken's Dragon Kin series.

Dragon Actually was really great for me (although some element of cheating but not really is there), the rest follows the other members of the dragon family and I was enjoying the series until my fave dragon found out his girl gave away her virginity to his cousin. I think I threw up a little when I read that part and I think I only skimmed his book later on only to try to salvage the series but to no avail. I couldn't even read the rest of the series which has no elements of cheating, as far as I know of, and the books are just collecting dust.

That said, as Shelly Laurenston her Pride series are amazing to me, like Psy-Changeling meets Neighbor from Hell especially if the heroes are bear or bear-mix.

Alanea Alder Bewitched and Bewildered series is also a good read. Warning though, book 5 have the element of indecision but still a good read to me.

Breeds Lora Leigh, New Species Laurann Dohner, and series by Eve Langlais are great too.

message 9: by Lida (new)

Lida | 4 comments I'm a huge fan of Nalini's writing too.

You could try Kresley Cole's "Immortals After Dark" Series. It's complex, has the mating/bonding for ever theme, it's packed with adventures and action, really smexy scenes and you have vampires, fey people, werewolves, witches, demons (yummy ones), Valkyries, gods and goddesses etc. And it has many funny dialogues. I loved the series as much I like Nalini's books.

message 10: by CJ (new)

CJ | 12 comments Hey, I love Nalini Singh as well. Perhaps the Carpathians by Christine Feehan or even her Leopard series might be a good crossover for you. The females are all strong and the males are all faithful. I have found both of these series to mix well with the series by Lora Leigh "Breeds", Shelly Laurenston "Pride Series" (though my favorite there is "Here Kitty, Kitty" and it is the 3rd in the original series after "Pack Challenge" and "Go Fetch".

I hope this helps you out.