Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Week 164: November 23-29 (Quotes)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (last edited Nov 22, 2015 09:29PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments In the United States we have Thanksgiving on Thursday, November 26. It's a time we think of what we are thankful for in our lives.

I know all of us are thankful for books, so I thought it would be fun to read a few quotes from various people and simply pick a book we're thankful to read. Easy enough?

What to do: Pick the quote you most identify with. Then tell which book you are really thankful to read this week and why.

Example: I identify most with quote #10 because NO ONE except a book addict truly gets our addiction! I will read Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout because I am SO THANKFUL to have "discovered" Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Quotes

1. “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” ― Groucho Marx

2. “When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” ― Desiderius Erasmus

3. “Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.” ― Christopher Paolini, Eragon

4. “Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
― Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard

5. “A house without books is like a room without windows.”
― Horace Mann

6. “I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. “Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose.” ― Neil Gaiman

8. “I love books. I like that the moment you open one and sink into it you can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting that yours will ever be.”
― Elizabeth Scott, Bloom

9. “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” ― J.K. Rowling

10. “Your mail could've waited." Daemon followed me into the kitchen. "What is it? Just books?"
Grabbing the OJ from the fridge, I sighed. People who didn't heart books didn't understand.” ― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx

message 2: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments Cool theme!!

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks, Mandiann. :o)

message 4: by Mandiann (last edited Nov 23, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I think I will go with

and read My Life Next Door which is a stand alone and kind of akin to one potato chip (in my head). Some days I am thankful for standalones because they don't make my series in progress list longer.

message 5: by Harleyanne (new)

Harleyanne (bookiewormharley) | 106 comments i absolutely love quote 3

i am thankful for HUSH HUSH by Becca fitzpatrick all my emotions for that book was over whelming i don't even get that excited for my own love life

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Mandiann wrote: "I think I will go with

and read My Life Next Door which is a stand alone and kind ..."

Isn't that the truth? LOL I have so many series in progress and I just keep adding more and more.

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Harleyanne wrote: "i absolutely love quote 3

i am thankful for HUSH HUSH by Becca fitzpatrick all my emotions for that book was over whelming i don't even get that excited for my own love life"

I LOVED Hush Hush and I need (speaking of series, Mandiann) to get back to that series!! LOL

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm going with

I'm reading: The Murder of an Angel which is #4 in the series :)

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I could use any of the quotes, but I'm going with #5:

5. “A house without books is like a room without windows.”
― Horace Mann

Like so many on GR I have my stash of owned paperbacks, hardbacks, both NOOK and Kindle, and my area for the total of 30 books I'm allowed from my library...OH and let's not forget OverDrive so I can get my audio books!! LOL

I have to go with Trisha and read The Murder of an Angel (Confessions, #4) by James Patterson

message 10: by Trinity (new)

Trinity I'm gonna go with

8. “I love books. I like that the moment you open one and sink into it you can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting that yours will ever be.”

I am thankful for my library, lord knows how many times I've been in there! There selections of books are amazing. As Vicki said, also for OverDrive for my ebooks!

I will be reading Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

message 11: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments OMG right? I am so grateful for my library too!
I'd go absolutely BROKE if I had to buy all my books!

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Trinity, I loved the Touch series!