Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird)
This topic is about Go Set a Watchman
Go Set a Watchman > The SLAP

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Near the end of the book, Jean Louise finds herself in a heated argument with her uncle. At one point, her uncle reaches out and slaps her very hard across the cheek.

This is another example of how times have changed over the last 60 years. That action would be unacceptable by today's standards yet Jean Louise hardly even reacted to it.

Were you at all shocked when you read that scene and did you find it unusual at all that Jean Louise didn't seem to protest very much?

Colleen | 101 comments It didn't shock me that she ignored it. Really I just felt like the whole book was a bit of a mess, focusing on some things in depth while other bits that I considered important were overlooked.
It also goes along with the cultural shift of what is acceptable and what is not. I've found this whole "violence to show love" theory in lots of older books and classics. A wife needs to be kept in line to continue to respect her husband. A child needs to fear his father to follow rules (spare the rod, spoil the child), and so forth.

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I think it really is a matter of what we are used to now. It seems so wrong to read this but it reminds me of how weird it is when you start watching a show like Mad Men where people are smoking at work and drinking at work and how they treat women. It really was like that not that long ago. I think it is good that these things sound so out of place to us. It means that we have made some progress.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments It did take me by surprise, but then you again remind yourself it's a time piece. And thank goodness we have moved on! So many things captured here are unacceptable.