The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

The Man in the High Castle
This topic is about The Man in the High Castle
1960-1979: New Wave > The Man in the High Castle

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments Recommending The Man in the High Castle (the TV series, now streaming in its entirely on Amazon). Based on the 1962 novel, but can be enjoyed without reading it. Here's my review http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2015...

Matthew (matt123456) Really enjoyed watching this series. And I've got the novel ordered, so soon I'll be checking that out.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments You'll love that, too.

David Merrill | 240 comments Actually, I think it would probably be more enjoyable without reading the book. It's one of my favorites and I just couldn't get into the series.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments I read the book, and loved the series - loved them both - so can't really speak about what the movie would feel like without having read the book. But I'd guess it would be highly enjoyable and thought-provoking.

David Merrill | 240 comments Paul wrote: "I read the book, and loved the series - loved them both - so can't really speak about what the movie would feel like without having read the book. But I'd guess it would be highly enjoyable and tho..."
I had trouble with the Grasshopper Lies Heavy being a film instead of a book. It bugged me as I watched the episodes. I never finished.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments Interesting - I thought the newsreel was actually much more effective than the book within the book (which was strategy taken from Orwell's 1984).

message 8: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin | 1903 comments Mod
One idea that seems to have been dropped from the video version is the use of the I Ching. Dick has said that in every case where a character in the book consults it for advice, he also did so in real life and let the results influence where the story would go.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments They've been touches of the I Ching, but not along the lines Dick developed in the novel.

message 10: by Chad (new) - added it

Chad | 54 comments Currently about 100 pages into the book and on the third episode of the series. Probably a bad way to go as I’m definitely mashing them up in my head as I go through them simultaneously. I’m allowing the series to dictate how I see certain characters and events in the book. Even though the book and series are quite different in many ways. Either way I’m enjoying the experience.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments Here's a lengthy video interview I did with Rufus Sewell this summer about his portrayal of John Smith in The Man in the High Castle TV series. But, Chad, you probably should wait until you finish the TV series before you see the interview, because there might be some spoilers https://youtu.be/6TyvEqvfhjg

message 12: by Chad (new) - added it

Chad | 54 comments Thanks for that Paul and congrats on a great interview! I finished both the book and the series. I enjoyed both. There were times in the book that I wanted to continue along a certain storyline and PKD didn’t agree. I found the same in the Amazon series.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 42 comments Glad you enjoyed the interview (as well as the novel and the Amazon TV series), Chad. I felt the same way about both storylines.