The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Science Fiction in Other Media > The Man In The High Castle

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel (juniquex) | 137 comments Anyone seen the recently released series or read the book by Philip K Dick? What are your thoughts?

I remember enjoying elements of the book, but finding it a bit flawed (like most Philip K). I'm really enjoying the series though.

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I didn't know there is a TV series. I like Philip K Dick; he may be a acquired taste - not for everyone. I read The Man in the High Castle a couple of years ago. It is lauded as one of his best works, but it didn't do much for me.

message 3: by Joel (new)

Joel (juniquex) | 137 comments Well, I'd highly recommend the series from what I've watched so far (I've one episode left). It's taken the concept and the characters and just fleshed everything out a lot more. Best series I've seen in a while.

I think the books of Philip I've enjoyed the most have been Ubik and Do Androids Dream. I've read Flow My Tears but was dissatisfied with the twist. He's got great ideas but the pay offs are normally quite poor.

message 4: by Buck (last edited Nov 25, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I heard on the radio today that Mayor Blasio and others complained about the poster on the subway in New York for The Man in the High Castle. They apparently were offensive with swastikas and imperial Japanese symbols. Amazon.com had them removed.

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel (juniquex) | 137 comments Well, I don't know which poster that would have been (there's a few floating around), but I'm not surprised it's been complained about. The one I've seen has the statue of liberty doing a nazi salute, and the stars on the American flag have been replaced with a swastika.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments This wasn't my favourite PKD book but I would like to see the series as i've only heard good things about it. I'm not sure you can watch it in Belgium yet though as it doesn't seem to be available via amazon.fr and the UK site won't allow me to watch it due to location restrictions.

message 7: by CS (new)

CS Barron First of all, I'll say that we have freedom of speech rights in the U.S., and if Amazon wants to put out a series like this, they have every right to do so. But this subject is not entertainment to me. My parents' generation fought the Second World War. My father was support staff for the USAAF in southern China. He risked his life in the Burma airlift, going over the Himalayas, where you prayed as much as you flew. I've known Holocaust survivors, including a survivor of Auschwitz, and another man who lost his entire family to the concentration camps. What people went through so that we are free from the Nazis and Japanese militarists should not be taken lightly. Yet this series is the nightmare that never was, because of their sacrifice and suffering. Amazon promotes it endlessly as must-see TV. No. Not for me.