Steinbeck fans discussion

The Pastures of Heaven

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (last edited Nov 23, 2015 04:22AM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 58 comments This was Steinbeck's second book, I think, published in 1932. He wasn't well known yet, but his prose style is very much the Steinbeck we know. This is not a novel, but a series of connected stories, vignettes of the lives of people or families who live in the valley.

I've read Steinbeck in no particular order. Now I wish that I had read this before I read The Red Pony, which I disparaged for being stories rather than a novel. Or rather, I wish I had read The Red Pony after having read The Pastures of Heaven. Perhaps the same goes for Tortilla Flats. This really is a format that Steinbeck does well.

The Pastures of Heaven was a pleasure to read.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24 comments America and Americans was more enjoyable than I expected it to be. I also liked the GoW journals quite a bit, but I read them more as a writer interested in a better writer's processes than as merely a Steinbeck fan. I'm not sure how seeing the man behind the curtain would affect other readers.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24 comments In the GoW journals, he frequently laments that the book is no good and that he should give it up. Other days, he thought it was his best work. I know that pendulum all too well.