Chicks On Lit discussion

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
This topic is about Team of Rivals
Archive Nom. & Selection 08-19 > Our Winter Chunky Read will be "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln"

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments It is time to start nominating our Winter Chunky read!!!

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I nominate Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Gosh, I've had Shantaram on my shelves for many years. I would love to read this one.

Irene | 3941 comments I am pesistant if nothing.
I am renominating Team of Rivals by Doris Kern Goodwin.

message 5: by Petra (new)

Petra That's another one I've heard good things about, Irene.

I nominate Shadow Country.

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Irene wrote: "I am pesistant if nothing.
I am renominating Team of Rivals by Doris Kern Goodwin."

Persistence can be a good thing! LOL I actually have a copy of Team of Rivals on my shelf that has been there for several years, and I don't think I will probably ever read it unless it is for a group discussion, even though I have heard nothing but positive reviews about it, so good choice!

QueenAmidala28 I second the Goodwin book. Anything by her is worth the time!

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Good nominations so far!

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Sheila let us close nominations on December 6.

message 10: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Time to vote for our next Chunky. Poll will run through the end of the day December 15th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Viola | 1014 comments Sheila wrote: "Our winner is Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Team of Rivals The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin"

Sounds interesting. I didn't know you ladies discussed non-fiction. When will this chunky read start?

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Most probably the first week in February
Anyone interested in leading this?

Cathi (cath_n) It was a terrific book - I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Irene | 3941 comments Even though I nominated it, I would rather not lead because I am leading a monthly read and a classic read here in January and February. However, if no one else feels inspired, I will do it.

message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I really need a time off

Rebecca I don't know much about it but I am willing Meg.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments That would be great. Maybe someone would co lead with you if you want

Nancy | 1274 comments I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and hope you all will find it as wonderful. Her writing is so solid. I look forward to lurking your discussion!

message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Join us!

Nancy | 1274 comments Thanks Meg! I wish - Dec through early March is my show season. 12 hour days and weekends. I haven't managed much reading and only a little lurking - its been a very rough year family and work wise. I will enjoy following your comments. It was such a good read. And I did it quite a while back, before Spielberg's Lincoln movie came out, as it was partly inspired by the book. I love Goodwin's writing. I'm slowly working through "No Ordinary Time" this year - but of course that's been sporadic at best.

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I have been wanting to read this for some time & picked up a copy at a library sale a couple of months ago, so I will try to join in, come February.

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Irene and Rebecca how about if you co-lead?

message 24: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Irene and Rebecca how about if you co-lead?

message 25: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca and Irene, if you want to co-lead I can help by setting up a reading schedule for you. :-)

Rebecca That sounds great Sheila. I am willing.

message 27: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (Marcia_1983) | 6 comments Meg wrote: "I nominate Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts"

I read it while I was walking the Camino of Santiago in Spain... took me a month. I love it!

Irene | 3941 comments Sure, can co-lead. Thanks for setting up a schedule, Sheila.

message 29: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll get a schedule posted shortly in a new thread. We will plan on starting reading this one in February.