Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 10.6 Australia Day

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5911 comments 10.6 Australia Day

Australia Day - January 26 is Australia Day, marking the anniversary of the day in 1788 when the first British fleet stepped ashore. Read a winner in either the Fiction or Nonfiction categories of any of the following awards:

Adelaide Festival Awards for Literature (was South Australian Premier's Book Award)
New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards
Queensland Premier's Literary Awards
Victorian Premier's Literary Awards (also includes the Vance and Nettie Palmer Awards)
Western Australian Premier's Book Awards

Please post questions about Task 10.6 in this thread.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Thank you for this, I am guessing this is the surprise Elizabeth ha mentioned in the other thread.

For anyone who doesn't mind a tearjerker, Poppy by Drusilla Modjeska from the New South Wales Non-Fiction list is one of my favourite books. I've bought it 3 times, loaned it out and never got it back. I don't think I could read it now - mother/daughter relationships and cancer - too close to home, but is a wonderful read.

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Nov 22, 2015 11:52PM) (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Oh, and, cancer again, but life affirming, I really enjoyed The Spare Room by Helen Garner was really good ( I listened to the audio book ) too. (On the Queensland fiction list)

message 4: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 23, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11719 comments Amanda wrote: "Thank you for this, I am guessing this is the surprise Elizabeth ha mentioned in the other thread."

Yes. Australia Day is how I remember when the Australian Open occurs (not exactly the commemoration you probably observe). Every year on January 26, in Melbourne, they stop play for 20 minutes or so of fireworks. I finally remembered early enough to include the date in our challenge - and to look around and find just the right task. This is an extra gift for you and Coralie!

And thanks for the recommendations!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes. Australia Day is how I remember when the Australian Open occurs (not exactly the commemoration you probably observe). Every year on January 26, in Melbourne, they stop play for 20 minutes or so of fireworks. I finally remembered early enough to include the date in our challenge - and to look around and find just the right task. This is an extra gift for you and Coralie!

And thanks for the recommendations!"

Australia Day is very mixed here, I don't think it would quite compare to Independence Day as America fought to become it's own nation whilst this day commemorates the landing. Federation Day (which if memory serves took place on New Years Day in 1900 or 1901) would perhaps be better, as that would be more significant to nationhood. Australia Day can cause lots of heated arguments re the displacement of the indigineous peoples.

There were a few other books I could suggest too, but I have only read about half a dozen or so on the lists.

Captivity Captive was a good one, I read that at university, I think, and I am sure I saw An Imaginary Life on there somewhere too, which I also loved and have read several times.

message 6: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4181 comments I thought it was kind of like Columbus Day

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Rebekah wrote: "I thought it was kind of like Columbus Day"

Yes, that would be the comparison, but it is the only national day we have (Federation Day doesn't exist, although I remember talk of them changing it to that once due to the controversies mentioned above).

Probably Anzac Day is the more important day here. I know that in my history lessons, this was probably or most defining moment as a nation on the world stage, our baptism of fire, but unlike American Independence, it wasn't a battle fought on our own soil, or for our own cause. But, I think you see more patriotism and sense of nationhood on this day, rather than Australia Day. Australia Day is more about having a bbq ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11719 comments I noticed yesterday that there are a few which make several of the lists. I can't recall them all now, but Summertime is one that I think was on four of the five.

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4181 comments Amanda wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I thought it was kind of like Columbus Day"

Yes, that would be the comparison, but it is the only national day we have (Federation Day doesn't exist, although I remember talk of th..."

Jan 26 is also Republic Day in India. That's when they adopted the Constitution, There is a big military parade and until start coming in from all over on horseback and Camelback and the elephants come. It turns Delhi even more colorful than ordinary

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4181 comments I remember my Ozzie friends in India were always doing something on Anzac Day but they liked they joint celebration with India too

message 11: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2274 comments I don't think they stop the tennis for the fireworks any more since they shifted the fireworks to the other side of the city. I was really disappointed as I loved watching them from our balcony and now we can hear them but we only see the reflections on the city buildings (unless we go outside and join the crowds).