Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 10.5 Favorite Authors

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 10.5 Favorite Authors (a.k.a. Moderator Gift)

Read a book by one of your top 5 most read authors*. This task may be repeated three times using a different author each time. This task may not be used for combo points.
Please post your list here prior to claiming points for this task.

*Your most read authors can be found by going to My Books and using the Most Read Authors link beneath the shelf listings.

Please post questions about task 10.5 here.

message 2: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2343 comments I have three authors tied for 5th place. Do I count all of them, pick just one of them or take the top one (I think it's alphabetical)?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Coralie wrote: "I have three authors tied for 5th place. Do I count all of them, pick just one of them or take the top one (I think it's alphabetical)?"

Go ahead and list them all, Coralie. You will be restricted to reading only 3 of them anyway, but if those 3 are your ties - well, lucky you! :-)

message 4: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2343 comments Thank you.

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1563 comments I posted my five but really do not like the list. JK Rowling is on it only because I read all the Potter books. I have no plans to read more by her unless you count the Galbraith books. Some of the others are due to reading extensively in their series (trying to finish them). Writers I really like fall further down in the list - 3 tied for 7th. Bummer!

message 6: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Bea wrote: "I posted my five but really do not like the list. JK Rowling is on it only because I read all the Potter books. I have no plans to read more by her unless you count the Galbraith books. Some of the..."

I'm in the same boat - my top 5 are fine, but for the most part I've stopped reading their writing as intensely. No matter - I can catch up on one of their series - but it is an interesting look at our reading habits... Maybe we've prioritized wrong! :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Rebekah asks:

Can I throw out the first two if they are Carolyn Keene (I read all the Nancy Drew books growing up) and Dr Suess( children and grandchildren and Pediatric Patients)

I'd also like to throw out Lemony Snicket in 5 th place. Not only does he write for children, but I don't think he's written any more that I've not read plus like Carolyn Keene, I'm not sure he is real. Franklin Dixon of a Hardy Boys comes after that. I'm thinking it's sad my most read authors are made up names for children's authors

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments rebekah, your most read authors are:

1 Carolyn Keene 55
2 61105 Dr. Seuss 26
3 20828 Susan Wittig Albert 24
3 3389 Stephen King 24
3 947 William Shakespeare 24

Other than the top two, looks like a pretty good selection!

message 9: by Rebekah (last edited Nov 22, 2015 07:19PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4246 comments But do I have to stick to those 3, can I have two more?
Don't know why I'm asking, except to have more choice if I want to read three times. For some reason I always think I'm going to complete each and every task three times and complete the sub-challenge twice!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Rebekah wrote: "But do I have to stick to those 3, can I have two more?"

Those are your top 5. For what it's worth, one on my list is one I'm never going to read again and another is one I'm not going to read soon.

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4246 comments Got cha. I added to my question, so you can see it's not really an issue. Besides Susan Wittig Albert has three different series I'm reading. I guess I was just disappointed it wasn't Mark Twain or Charles Dickens because in my heart of hearts, they are my true love authors. (Smile)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments To answer a question from the List thread, when you have ties for your 3rd or 4th places, you can include all of those authors, but not any after that position. We're looking at number of authors for this task, not number of books that put the author on your list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Ed, please post in the list thread. Thanks!

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4246 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "rebekah, your most read authors are:

1 Carolyn Keene 55
2 61105 Dr. Seuss 26
3 20828 Susan Wittig Albert 24
3 3389 Stephen King 24
3 947 William Shakespeare 24

Other than the top two, looks lik..."

Funny, I just remembered, Susan Witting Albert wrote some of the latter Nancy Drew Books under the pen name Carolyn Keene!

message 16: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1374 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "To answer a question from the List thread, when you have ties for your 3rd or 4th places, you can include all of those authors, but not any after that position. We're looking at number of authors f..."

So if I have ties for fifth place, do I just pick one of those? Or do I only list the top 4?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Joanna wrote: "So if I have ties for fifth place, do I just pick one of those? Or do I only list the top 4? "

You can take your list through all of the ties for 5th place. Enjoy the bounty!

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments What about pseudonyms? I know a few of us have JK Rowling on our lists but would the books she wrote under Robert Galbraith work too or only those she wrote under her name?

message 19: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Sam wrote: "What about pseudonyms? I know a few of us have JK Rowling on our lists but would the books she wrote under Robert Galbraith work too or only those she wrote under her name?"

We treat pseudonyms as unique authors. So, only books published under JK Rowling's name will qualify.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask!

What about anthologies where the author is the first credited but as editor?

message 21: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Sam wrote: "That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask!

What about anthologies where the author is the first credited but as editor?"

Sorry, I am going to have to conference this one. I will let you know in the next day or so.

message 22: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Sam wrote: "What about anthologies where the author is the first credited but as editor?"

Yes, we will except the author as an editor, if they are credited first.

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Thanks Kate! that opens my options a bit :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments It's interesting to see some of the lists. There is an added benefit that I didn't foresee when we talked about this task. If someone has an author I liked on their list, seeing the other authors this person has read gives me additional insight into authors I haven't yet read. As usual RwS keeps adding to my lengthening list of authors and books to explore.

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2393 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "To answer a question from the List thread, when you have ties for your 3rd or 4th places, you can include all of those authors, but not any after that position. We're looking at number of authors f..."

I think this was my question! Noted, and now the task is a little more difficult.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Valerie - these are your authors - I hope you have a few choices!

author books read
1 123715 Agatha Christie 16
2 7 Bill Bryson 9
3 61934 Dorothy Gilman 8
4 1077326 J.K. Rowling 7
4 1074866 Alan Bradley 7
4 2541526 Elly Griffiths 7
4 18062 James Herriot 7

message 27: by Will (last edited Nov 26, 2015 09:35PM) (new)

Will | 55 comments I see two issues with this task:

1. I have only (yet) listed maybe 10% of my books here - there are just too many to catch up. Should I use all my books for this tasks, or only the ones listed on goodreads?

2. Typically, when I like an author, I immediately buy all he/she wrote, and read it. Therefore, (without having checked yet,) I have probably read all existing books from my top authors - which would force me to re-read those books to be able to do the task at all.

Recommendations?

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1350 comments Will, Lee Child has published some new books lately, like Make Me in September 2015. Have you read his latest books?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Will wrote: "Should I use all my books for this tasks, or only the ones listed on goodreads?"

Some of your authors have more listed books on GR than your totals indicate. If you would tell us which author(s) are a problem, we would take it under consideration.

message 30: by Will (last edited Nov 28, 2015 02:24PM) (new)

Will | 55 comments I have no specific issue yet, as I didn't even start to look at the top 5 - my main point is that 90% of my books (that I own and have read in the physical reality) are not added to my profile in goodreads yet. So goodreads only knows about the books I read in 2015 and half of 2014, but it misses about 3000 more books form previous years.
That means that my most-read-authors are not even showing in goodreads...
For example, I have (nearly) all books from J.A.Jance, Tony Hillerman, Henning Mankell, James Patterson, Andrew Vachss, Randy Wayne Wright, Ian Rankin, Anne Perry, Carl Hiassen, Janet Evanovich, Agatha Christie, John Grisham, J. D. Robb, Edgar Wallace, and I didn't even look at the Fantasy and Sci-Fi area. Dame Christie and James Patterson are probably the largest counts.

Now should I look at my book shelves and pick the top 5, or should I use what is on goodreads as of today?
I am fine either way - probably each author has written a new book in the last year that I still miss, and I like them all. Just say which way.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Will wrote: "Now should I look at my book shelves and pick the top 5, or should I use what is on goodreads as of today?"

This was a way to use another Goodreads feature, so please use the most read authors here, rather than those you know/expect are your *real* most read authors.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments Katrina, your favorite authors list is allowed only through the top 5, which in your case ends with Jane Austen. John Steinbeck is at #6 on your list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11974 comments I might caution some of you who have John Steinbeck on your list that many, though not all, of his titles are YA Assignment at BPL. Only his The Grapes of Wrath is on the canon. You should therefore check any other titles before assuming they will qualify for styles.