RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 10.4 Valentine's Day

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments 10.4 Valentine's Day

Read one of the top 350 titles from the list Best Love Stories

Ask any questions about task 10.4 here.

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1601 comments I have started Anna Karenina but am only 14% into it. Can I still count it for this task? My copy has 634 pages on my Kindle.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12338 comments Bea wrote: "I have started Anna Karenina but am only 14% into it. Can I still count it for this task? My copy has 634 pages on my Kindle."

You can start one book ahead of December 1 and not have completed more than 50%. So, it might work! ;-)

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1601 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "I have started Anna Karenina but am only 14% into it. Can I still count it for this task? My copy has 634 pages on my Kindle."

You can start one book ahead of December ..."

Yes! I do so want to get through this book, but, for me, it is slow going.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Bea wrote: "
Yes! I do so want to get through this book, but, for me, it is slow going. "

Anything I think will be slow going I listen to instead, preferably on Playaway OR Audible, where I can speed it up ;)

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1601 comments Amanda wrote: "Bea wrote: "
Yes! I do so want to get through this book, but, for me, it is slow going. "

Anything I think will be slow going I listen to instead, preferably on Playaway OR Audible, where I can sp..."

I think the reason that this book is a slow read for me is that I also have so many other more interesting books going. It also does not help that I have found no character that I truly like so far.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Bea wrote: "I think the reason that this book is a slow read for me is that I also have so many other more interesting books going. It also does not help that I have found no character that I truly like so far. "

I don't think I found anyone I particularly liked when I listened to it. My husband can't understand why that is so important to being able to enjoy a book, but I don't think you can fully immerse yourself into a book unless you can find a character to sympathize/empathize with on one level or another.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12338 comments Amanda wrote: "My husband can't understand why that is so important to being able to enjoy a book"

Tell him he has at least this reader in his camp.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "My husband can't understand why that is so important to being able to enjoy a book"

Tell him he has at least this reader in his camp."

:D I am trying to get him to read join. He keeps telling me I need to get up and exercise more (desk job, which is becoming a do-not-leave-your-desk-at-all job), so I am now countering with he never reads any of the 100s of books he's bought. Trying to entice him with just the sub challenge. I think I am getting there ...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12338 comments Amanda wrote: "Trying to entice him with just the sub challenge. I think I am getting there ... "

At least one member finds himself too busy to read as many as even 10 books per season. My recommendation is that he (your husband) try to read at least 5 books which score highly to see if he can place toward the top of the most strategic list.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2415 comments Anna Karenina I think is my favorite book. Yes...many flawed characters...but, for me, no flaws in the writing.

message 12: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2415 comments Hoping someone can help me.... I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone... for a different reading challenge...I need to read a book by the end of the year set in high school.... and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a book that fits that criteria that is also among the 350 for this task?

message 13: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Ed wrote: "Hoping someone can help me.... I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone... for a different reading challenge...I need to read a book by the end of the year set in high school.... and I was wonderi..."

At a glance, all of the books I've personally read that are on the list and set in high school are YA romancey novels (Twilight, Vampire Academy, etc.). My favorite of the ones I'm sure qualify for both tasks was Anna and the French Kiss, which is set in a boarding school in Paris, but I can't say if it'll be to your taste. It's definitely a young adult romance, and definitely cute and slightly angsty. It does definitely fit though :)

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2415 comments Cory Day wrote: "Ed wrote: "Hoping someone can help me.... I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone... for a different reading challenge...I need to read a book by the end of the year set in high school.... and I ..."

Thanks Cory..I'll check those out.

message 15: by Connie (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:43PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1399 comments Ed wrote: "Hoping someone can help me.... I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone... for a different reading challenge...I need to read a book by the end of the year set in high school.... and I was wonderi..."

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green involves high school age kids. I don't remember if much of the book is actually in the school since the characters are battling cancer. It's a YA book that adults love too. It's a book that will make you both laugh and cry. Lexile 850.

message 16: by Krista (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:20AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Ed wrote: "Hoping someone can help me.... I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone... for a different reading challenge...I need to read a book by the end of the year set in high school.... and I was wonderi..."

Hi Ed:

I haven't read this one, but based on the book blurb, it is clearly set in high school... Perfect Chemistry. It's currently #52 on the list, and several challenge participants have rated it 4 stars.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2415 comments Thanks Krista!