Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Winter 2015-16) > 10.2 Noel, Noel

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5995 comments 10.2 Noel, Noel

Read a book with NO "L" in the title and NO "L" in the author name.

Ask any questions you have about task 10.2 here.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will | 55 comments no 'l' (lower case L) either, I presume.

Just to nitpick a bit and not a serious question: Spanish has a letter 'll' that looks like a double 'l', but is actually a separate letter (it is sorted separately in the dictionary). If it's in a name, would you consider that valid?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments The Spanish "ll" will be considered as an 'l' for this task and will not qualify.

message 4: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments What about subtitles? Do they count if there is an "l" or can they be ignored?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Our usual rule on subtitles will apply, so that unique subtitles should also have No L. Generic subtitles, like "A Novel", will not be disqualifying.

message 6: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 619 comments I'm wondering, are books written in non-latin alphabets eligible? I'm currently reading ブラックジャックによろしく Burakku Jakku ni Yoroshiku 1 in Japanese and, like the entire language, it's devoid of l's. So the original or transliterated titles would fit the task but the translated title (Say Hello to Black Jack) does not.

I realize that graphic novels are not eligible for styles but I'd like to fit it in here instead of the ratings task if possible. Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments We always use the English MPE, print when possible. Given that restriction, this title will not work for this task.

Give My Regards to Black Jack English translation 1

message 8: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 619 comments Thank you, Elizabeth. Off to the ratings task it is ^^

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 11, 2015 08:00AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Kazen wrote: "Thank you, Elizabeth. Off to the ratings task it is ^^"

I was working on the Graphic Novels/Comics of the Goodreads Choice Awards yesterday. I don't know if you've looked at that page.

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

I don't read graphic novels, but of course I couldn't help noticing ... ;-) Anyway, for this task we would ignore the "l" designating a volume # that appears in the title. I remembered that there is a Japanese one toward the top of the listings and there is no L.

message 10: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 619 comments It's weird, I'm not much of a graphics novel person myself. This manga is more like study for me, though - I'm a medical interpreter so the hospital story line written in my second language is like catnip. And thinking back the last manga I read was 研修医少女... "Resident Girl"! She did CPR like a boss and even jumped in front of a bullet to save a patient. Quite epic! ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Kazen wrote: "It's weird, I'm not much of a graphics novel person myself. This manga is more like study for me, though - I'm a medical interpreter so the hospital story line written in my second language is like..."

Reading opens doors everywhere!