The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly VampAmber vs Barbara vs Brittany

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Brittany (last edited Jun 01, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments If it's all right with everyone, I'm just going to start a property list so that we can track who owns what.

PROPERTY LIST
Mediterranean Avenue
Baltic Avenue - Brittany
Reading Railroad - VampAmber
Oriental Avenue - VampAmber
Vermont Avenue - Barbara
Connecticut Avenue - Brittany
St. Charles Avenue - Brittany
Electric Company - VampAmber
States Avenue - VampAmber
Virginia Avenue - Brittany
Pennsylvania Railroad Brittany
St. James Place
Tennessee Avenue- VampAmber
New York Avenue- VampAmber
Kentucky Avenue - VampAmber
Indiana Avenue- Brittany
Illinois Avenue- VampAmber
B&O Railroad- VampAmber
Atlantic Avenue
Ventnor Avenue - VampAmber
Water Works Brittany
Marvin Gardens
Pacific Avenue- Brittany
North Carolina Avenue Brittany
Pennsylvania Avenue Brittany
Short Line Railroad VampAmber
Park Place Brittany
Boardwalk - VampAmber

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) VampAmber, Brittany thank you for having me. I hope we'll have a great time playing.

Let me know, when you're ready to start :).

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Apr 27, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments I'll also keep track of when we use Community Chest and Chance Cards

COMMUNITY CHEST
2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

CHANCE
2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Barbara wrote: "VampAmber, Brittany thank you for having me. I hope we'll have a great time playing.

Let me know, when you're ready to start :)."

This should be so much fun! Go ahead and roll whenever you are ready and then I will do the same and hopefully VampAmber will as well. :)

message 8: by Brittany (last edited Nov 22, 2015 01:34PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Roll #1 = 9 (3 & 6)

landed on Connecticut Avenue
Must read 1 book from the 'Books I Own Shelf' to own

I choose to read The Martian by Andy Weir

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:49AM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Turn 1

Rolled: 8 (5+3)
Landed On: Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own
Read: Uprooted by Naomi Novik.
Finished: 12/6/15

Lately, I've been so picky, so I hope this challenge will help me with finishing books.

message 10: by VampAmber (last edited Nov 22, 2015 01:45PM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 1

Rolled: 6 (1+5)
Landed On: Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf
Reading: undecided as of yet, gotta figure out a book (leaning towards Dead to the World, since it was on the list in the link, and rereads are allowed)

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments I just finished The Martian by Andy Weir to own Connecticut Ave

Holy cow, it was amazing! 5 stars. Here is my review: When I finished this I let out the huge breath I felt like I was holding the ENTIRE duration of the read. The Martian grabs you from page one, shakes you (pretty violently at times) and doesn't let you go until the last page. I didn't want to put it down so I got through it pretty quickly. There was a ton of science and aerospace jargon but the author does a great job 'dumbing it down'. I had to remind myself that I was reading fiction. Andy Weir does a phenomenal job in making this seem like an actual event.

message 12: by Brittany (last edited Nov 25, 2015 09:24AM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments turn 2
Started on Connecticut Ave
rolled an 8 (2 & 6)
landed on Community Chest
rolled a 7 (2 & 5)
'Go Forward 3 spaces'
landed on Free Parking Read any book 100 pages or more

*Changed my mind, I'm going to read Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail. I just couldn't get into 'The Book of Lost Things'

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Congratulations, Brittany. That was pretty fast :). I've bought "The Martian" some time ago and it's still waiting for its turn.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Thanks Barbara. I loved 'The Martian', I could not put it down. Also, I'm off of work right now recovering from surgery so I have a little extra time to read, LOL.

message 15: by VampAmber (last edited Nov 26, 2015 08:56AM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 1

Rolled:
6 (1+5)
Landed On: Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf
Read: Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
Finished: 11/25/15
Review: I'd read this one before (I'm rereading the ones I read about seven years ago, so I can finally finish the series), and it had always been my favorite one of the series. I <3 Eric/Sookie, so no surprise there. The ending always makes me kind of sad, though (view spoiler). I hope the quality keeps up throughout the rest of the series, because I'd only got about 7 or 8 books in when I stopped reading.

Turn 2

Rolled: 4 (3+1)
Started On: Oriental Avenue (now owned by me)
Landed On: Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Read: Mistletoe in Manhattan by Talli Roland (60 pages)
Review: This was such a cute novella, but I feel it would've done even better if it had been longer. I still loved it, but I really wish there'd been more, you know? I really loved the characters (especially Maria, even though her part was so small), and I definitely liked the author's writing style. I'll have to look into more of her books eventually. So adorable.

Turn 3

Rolled: 7 (4+3)
Started On: Just Visiting
Landed On: Community Chest
Rolled: 6 (1+5)
Card: Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
Reading: Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Just finished Skywalker Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Walker to get off of Free Parking.
Here's my short but sweet review:
This was an entertaining account of life on the AT. I like that the author stuck to the highlights and didn't detail every little thing that happened on every day that he was on the trail. He told us about his ups and downs and it felt real, not overly dramatized.

message 17: by Brittany (last edited Nov 27, 2015 12:43PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 3

Started on: Free Parking
Landed on: Pacific Avenue
Rolled: 11 (5+6)

I've got to read 2 books from the Stand Alone Shelf. I'm planning on reading Painted Faces and Sharp Objects

message 18: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 3

Landed On: Community Chest (card #6, Laugh Riot)
Read: Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin
Review: Holy crapbeans, that was such a good book. Chapter 19 was beyond dull, but the rest of the book more than made up for it. One of the funniest parts, believe it or not, was the group discussion questions section. Had to stop reading quite a few times to wipe my eyes. But seriously, I only knew about her through her stand up, but wow did she lead such an interesting life (and still leading it, I bet). Totally worth the read, even if you only barely know who she is.

Turn 4

Rolled: 8 (3+5)
Started On: Community Chest
Landed On: B&O Railroad - Read a book that someone else thought stunk.
Reading: No clue whatsoever...

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments VampAmber wrote: "Turn 3

Landed On: Community Chest (card #6, Laugh Riot)
Read: Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin
Review: Holy crapbeans, that was suc..."

I love that your review contained the words 'holy crapbeans'! LOL

message 20: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Brittany wrote: "I love that your review contained the words 'holy crapbeans'! LOL"

You should hear some of the other weird things I say, cuz that's how I actually talk (like if I can't swear cuz I'm in public or around kids, I say "monkeys" instead of the f-word). I'm speshull. ^_^

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Girls, I admire you, really. Both of you are reading so fast, but don't worry, I'll catch up with you in few days :D.

My last week was pretty crazy, because I had to pass my Master thesis (I don't know how to express it properly in English), but I got my degree, so now I'm almost free.

I want to finish Uprooted during the weekend and then from 30th November till 6th December, we have a Polish edition of Bookathon. I hope I'll be able to connect both challenges :D.

And just reading the description of Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin made me laugh out loud (and I'm at work right now), so I'll definitely need to get to know the book.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Barbara wrote: "Girls, I admire you, really. Both of you are reading so fast, but don't worry, I'll catch up with you in few days :D.

My last week was pretty crazy, because I had to pass my Master thesis (I don't..."

Congrats on getting your degree! That is a huge accomplishment. :)

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments I finished both Painted Faces and Sharp Objects so that I know own Pacific Avenue

Here is my review of Painted Faces:I loved this story! Such a wonderful love story between two far from perfect people. It was realistic (except for the sex scenes because let's be honest, we all wish it was like that!) and that was a big deal for me. There was just something extra about this romance that made the book hard to put down. I am most definitely thinking about reading the story from Nicholas' perspective now!

Here is my review of Sharp Objects: This was more like 3.5 stars. This book felt like it left a film on me and each time I put it down I felt like I needed to wash up. It got under my skin. It was disturbing but kinda of predictable. I figured out who the big bad was early on but there were side stories just as interesting. Ms. Flynn definitely has a fertile imagination!

message 24: by Brittany (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:30PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 4

started on: Pacific Ave (I now own)
landed on: Luxury Tax
rolled: 7 (3 + 4)

I have to read 'a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more. I'm going to read From Dead to Worse

message 25: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 4

Rolled: 8 (3+5)
Landed On: B&O Railroad - Read a book that someone else thought stunk.
Read: Red Lily by Nora Roberts
Review: This book has 151 one-star ratings (which is why it counted for this), but I have no idea why. I loved it. I thought it was a wonderful way to end the trilogy. I adore Hayley, because she reminds me a bit of myself. We talk a lot alike, and that makes me smile. The only bad part about reading this book was that the trilogy is over now. Good thing I have the first book of another one of her trilogies on reserve at the library right now. ^_^

Turn 5

Rolled: 8 (4+4)
Started On: B&O Railroad (now owned by me)
Rolled: 4 (2+2)
Card: Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
Reading: Not sure yet

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Here is my review of From Dead to Worse so that I can move off of Luxury Tax:

I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels and they just keep getting better. I really appreciated that in this book I didn't feel like smacking my head (or Sookie's) every time she got mixed up in trouble. There are always plenty of funny moments in this series and this book was no exception. My favorite part of this book is the very end with Hunter. I'm not gonna explain any further, you'll just have to read it.

** I had to read a story with a rich character, poor character or one that works in a bank. This story had two very rich characters in it: Eric Northman and Copley Carmichael**

message 27: by Brittany (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:37PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 5

Started on: Luxury Tax
Rolled: 5 (4 + 1)
Landed on: Baltic Ave

Must read something from the fiction shelf. I'm going to read The Night Circus

message 28: by Barbara (last edited Dec 06, 2015 10:50AM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Thank you, Brittany. After the crazy week, I've finally had some time to read. I'm going to finish Uprooted later in the evening, but I won't visit GR, so I want to post my review and the next pick now.

My review of Uprooted for Vermont Avenue:

My good friend (with whom I share a lot of interests) has recommended me this book. It's connected to Polish myths and legends (although, besides names, it was hard to notice at first, even though I live in Poland). The first dozen or so pages were pretty boring, especially the main female character was irritating. But then, we get to know her and her mentor, and the plot thickened. Magic, conspiracies, plagues... And some mythical creatures. The whole book reads like a fable. You know that it isn't real, but it pulls you in and doesn't let you go. I really recommend it for all who like well-written fantasy.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Turn 2

Rolled: 8 (6+2)
Started On: Vermont Avenue
Landed On: St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own
Reading: The Lost Hero

Yeah, I'll read another big book. But I have to finish it soon and give back to the library :).

message 30: by VampAmber (last edited Dec 16, 2015 05:33PM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 5

Rolled:
8 (4+4)
Started On: B&O Railroad (now owned by me)
Rolled: 4 (2+2)
Card: Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
Read: A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan
Review: I think this one definitely counts, because a lot of characters had bossy moments. But yeah, I loved the movie, and while the first book in the series (this one) wasn't as good, I'm sure it'll get better in the next one. It was still really good, though. Can't wait to read more.

Turn 6

Rolled:
6 (1+5)
Landed On: Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Reading:

Book 1:
The Duchess War by Courtney Milan finished 12/16/15 (page 16 of the DNF list)
Review: This was actually pretty cute, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's so high up on the DNF list. Yeah, it has its flaws, but so does just about every other Regency romance novel that has ever existed. *shrugs* They're all missing out, because I loved it. When you're a romance addict like me, you get a lot of "withheld secrets" plotlines, but considering the time-frame, that was actually a rather unique one (don't wanna spoil anything). I liked the characters, and I'm glad that I apparently have another book in the series already, but most of the rest of them are waaaaaaaay too expensive for an ebook, so I guess I'll never know the whole story. Sad face. But at least this one was really enjoyable. Five stars.

Book 2: shall post when I finish anything applicable
Review:

Book 3:
Review:

message 31: by Brittany (last edited Dec 09, 2015 06:20PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Here is my review of The Night Circus:

The imagery this story evoked was beautiful. What an absolutely vivid imagination this author has!I could picture myself in the various tents of the circus and I found myself wishing that it actually existed. I think I definitely would have been a frequent visitor. Although admittedly I think some of the attractions would have freaked me out! My favorite characters by far were Poppet and Widget, love those nicknames. And I have to say that the characters Prospero and the 'grey man' were despicable. To use so many people as pawns in game...ugh. One thing I wasn't so keen on, the bouncing around time frame was a bit confusing to me. Definitely glad this book was recommended to me, I read the descriptive blurb but kept passing it over because it just didn't seem like something I would like.

I now own Baltic Ave

message 32: by Brittany (last edited Dec 11, 2015 10:09PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 6

Started On: Baltic Ave
Rolled: 8 (3 + 5)
Landed On: St. Charles Ave

I've got to read one book from the ebooks shelf. I'm going to read Dead and Gone

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Here is my review of Dead and Gone:

Wow. Stuff just got real in Sookie's world. The previous nine books in the series have been mostly fun but this one definitely took a turn in the other direction. While Sookie is 'in trouble' in every novel, she was in TROUBLE this time around. This is not something that she will easily recover from and she may not do so completely. I totally devoured this book, I just couldn't put it down. Can't wait to find out what happens next as I near the end of this series.

I now own St. Charles Ave

message 34: by Brittany (last edited Dec 18, 2015 07:10AM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 7

Started on: St. Charles Ave
Rolled: 3 (1 + 2)
Landed On: Virginia Ave

I've got to read something from the Book Club Shelf. I'm going to read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry I'm also going to slow up a bit, back to work this week.

message 35: by VampAmber (last edited Dec 26, 2015 08:57PM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 6

Rolled:
6 (1+5)
Landed On: Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Reading:

Book 1:
The Duchess War by Courtney Milan finished 12/16/15 (page 16 of the DNF list)
Review: This was actually pretty cute, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's so high up on the DNF list. Yeah, it has its flaws, but so does just about every other Regency romance novel that has ever existed. *shrugs* They're all missing out, because I loved it. When you're a romance addict like me, you get a lot of "withheld secrets" plotlines, but considering the time-frame, that was actually a rather unique one (don't wanna spoil anything). I liked the characters, and I'm glad that I apparently have another book in the series already, but most of the rest of them are waaaaaaaay too expensive for an ebook, so I guess I'll never know the whole story. Sad face. But at least this one was really enjoyable. Five stars.

Book 2: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald finished 12/26/15 (page 6 of the DNF list)
Review: I admit, I already knew most of he story because I watched the Dicaprio version a few months back, but I'm glad that movie actually stayed really close to the original. I can totally see why it'd be on a lot of DNF lists: a lot of people have trouble with older books, and the ending is rather depressing. Also, Tom is a total ass hole, no ifs, ands, or buts. Daisy isn't exactly a saint either, though, so it kinda works I guess? But anyway, I loved this book. Not much re-read potential for me, but I'm glad I finally read it.

Book 3: Fashionably Dead by Robyn Peterman finished 12/26/15 (page 44 of the DNF list)
Review: Okay, this one I can completely understand why it was on the DNF list. It wasn't exactly the best of writing, there were a LOT of cliches, a lot of semi-pointless repetitive smut, weird obsessions from both the characters and the author, and it ended on a horrible, evil cliffhanger, but holy crap was it addictive. It was very much a guilty pleasure kind of book, and I ate it up 100%. Gonna be stuck buying the rest of the books, too (unless they're way too expensive, and then I'll just have to pine). 3.5 stars, leaning more towards 4, because while not the greatest book, it kept me happy and amused throughout the whole ride.

Turn 7

Rolled:
6 (2+4)
Started On: Boardwalk (now owned by me)
Landed On: For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want (150 page minimum)
Reading: undecided for now

message 36: by Brittany (last edited Jan 04, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Finally back on track after the holidays. Here is my review for The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin :

I really, really liked this book. There was something endearing and relatable about grumpy, not-so-old, bookseller A.J.. This story made me laugh out loud and it made me sad. There was loss and 'real' responses to that loss, but there was also love. Even if that love came in a roundabout sort of way. This is a pretty quick read and even though there is some sadness it was a light, enjoyable story.

I now own Virginia Ave

message 37: by Brittany (last edited Jan 07, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 8

Started on: Virginia Ave
Rolled: 8 (4 + 4)
Landed On: Chance
Rolled: 3 (1 + 2)
Chance Card: 3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.

I'm going to read Dark Places

message 38: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 7

Rolled:
6 (2+4)
Started On: Boardwalk (now owned by me)
Landed On: For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want (150 page minimum)
Reading: Happy New Year, Baby Fortune! by Leanne Banks
Review: Cute and fluffy romance at its finest. I have an absolute addiction to romance novels, and a sub-addiction to ones with single parents, so this fed both of those quite well. I'm starting to see the apeal of cowboys, as well. A nice easy read was exactly what I needed right now, too. Relaxing after all that holiday stress, you know?

Turn 8

Rolled: 8 (5+3)
Started On: Reading Railroad (now owned by me)
Landed On: States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Reading: not sure yet

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Here is my review of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn :

This was more like 3.5 stars. I've read 3 of Flynn's 4 books and I have to say she has a twisted imagination. The story was good and it kept me engaged almost the entire time. There were some very graphic scenes and I'll admit I had to skim over some of them. I liked how the story was broken up, learning more about what happened during flashback scenes and having the characters in the present learn about those things in a different way. One major plus, the twists and turns that the plot took. I like when an author is successful at keeping me on my toes.

I can now move off of Chance

message 40: by Brittany (last edited Jan 12, 2016 05:53PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 9
Started on: Chance
Rolled: 6 (3 + 3)
Landed On: Water Works - Read a book that makes you cry.

Not sure what I'll read yet, but it will probably be something by Kristin Hannah, lol. I'm going to read Summer Island

message 41: by Brittany (last edited Jan 12, 2016 05:59PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Here is my review for Summer Island by Kristin Hannah :

I said it before and I'll say it again, Kristin Hannah is a master at writing about family dynamics. Her books just kind of suck me in without being overt about it. I'll start reading and the next thing I know, it's two hours later. 'Summer Island' was no exception. This one hit a little close to home with how the family handled their problems or didn't. And while I think that Ruby has every right to be angry and bitter, I do think that she tended to take things a little far and there were times when I just wanted to shake some sense into her. What hit me hardest was Eric's story, being a cancer patient myself it just made me really emotional. But then again, it was a Kristin Hannah novel, I expected to cry!

I now own Water Works

Turn 10
Started on: Water Works
Rolled: 6 (2 + 4)
Landed On: Pennsylvania Ave - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own.

Not sure what I'm going to read yet.

message 42: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 8

Rolled:
8 (5+3)
Started On: Reading Railroad (now owned by me)
Landed On: States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Reading: UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn finished 1/14/16 (page 26 of the Maybe list)
Review: It may not have been the most original story ever (it had a lot of the teen fantasy cliches), but I really liked it. It reminded me of another favorite teen fantasy series that I love, the Demon Princess series by Michelle Rowen. It had the right amount of action, the right amount of puppy love (because when you're sixteen, there's nothing higher), and the right amount of quirk. Now I just have to start praying to the Amazon gods to lower the price of the next one in the series. That, or just bite the bullet and shell out the $2.99. (hint: it'll probably be the second one)

Turn 9

Rolled:
8 (4+4)
Started On: States Avenue (now owned by me)
Landed On: Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Reading: dunno yet

message 43: by VampAmber (last edited Jan 30, 2016 03:39AM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 9

Rolled:
8 (4+4)
Started On: States Avenue (now owned by me)
Landed On: Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Read: Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs finished 1/17/16 (page 55 of the 2011 list)
Review: How on earth did I forget to review this? Ack! Review amnesia aside, I freaking loved this book, hard. It was very Percy Jackson as a high school drama instead of an action adventure, with a girl MC instead of a boy, yet it was still unique in its own way. The characters were interesting, and it was nice to see realistic bullying in a YA book (sounds weird, but it's true). I kinda wish there was more from her bffs pre-move, because it seems like Nola and Casca being more in the story would've made it even better. Loved it so much I immediately downloaded and read the three short stories that take between this one and the second one (which I already have from the library and need to start asap).

Turn 10

Rolled:
6 (4+2)
Started On: Kentucky Avenue (now owned by me)
Landed On: Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned
Reading:

Book 1: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket finished 1/20/16 (page 31 of the Library Books list)
Review: This was a re-read for me, but the last time I tried this series was back in '09, and I only got through the first three before I moved away from the decent library system into library suckdom. But anyway, on the second go-round, I still loved this book. The writing style in general is rather awesome (though I do admit, I hear all the voices as the ones from the movie, including the narrator), and the story is so cute. Even though it's a kid's book, and not even for young teens but actual children, this series is still just as great for adult readers. Can't wait to reread book 2. Can Sunny be my spirit animal, please?

Book 2: Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs finished 1/30/16 (page 69 of the Library Books list)
Review: So yeah, I might be just a teeeeeeny bit obsessed with this series (seeing as how I read this book in less than a day, and it's rare I do that). Not exactly sure what it is that draws me so hard, but I think the main part is the author's writing. I just love how she writes, how the characters talk, how the action gets spelled out (it's first person, so the action gets described differently than it it were third person, yanno?). I love the characters, too. Still keeping my fingers crossed for that Nola/Troy cuteness that the author vaguely hinted at in the first book. Kinda glad that I have the first book from another one of her series sitting next to my chair. Can't wait to read it next.

message 44: by Brittany (last edited Jan 31, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments My review of The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Book 1 of 2 :

Wow. Let me just say that this seemed like some heavy subject matter for a YA book, but I may just be picturing the lower ages of Young Adult. It may have been a quick read but it certainly wasn't light. I didn't want to put this book down. And even though this was published in 1993 I think this it's relevant (as a vision of the future) right now in the present. I think it could also have been relevant in the past. The maturing that Jonas has to experience in such a short time is so extreme that my heart hurt for him. I think the Chief Elder put it best when she said "Thank you for your childhood" because they are about to tear it painfully from you. My only complaint? The end was kinda vague and it doesn't look like book 2 will provide any answers. I can kinda guess though....

Book 2 of 2: Holiday in Death (In Death, #7) by J.D. Robb

Let me just start by saying that I love Eve and Roarke! Now granted, this was only book seven of this saga of a series but I like how the books are similar enough that the main characters are well known and you are comfortable with them but that the story lines can be so varied. This particular book was fun (in as much as reading about murder can be fun, lol) because of the Christmas theme. It was entertaining to 'watch' Eve experience Christmas with loved ones for the first time. I really would have liked to find out how Roarke liked his gift from Eve (likewise about Mavis) and I would have loved to know what she ended up getting Peabody. I wish that stuff would have been included in the story. Oh yeah, and I have to say that the serial killer in this one was pretty creative, I'll never look at that song quite the same way again.

I now own Pennsylvania Ave

message 45: by VampAmber (last edited Jan 30, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Minor mess up. Re-rolling (in message 48).

message 46: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Hey VampAmber- I'm currently on Pennsylvania and will be posting my second book review shortly. Since I didn't own it when you landed on it, do you just want to roll again? I wanted to catch you before you picked 2 books.

message 47: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Crud, sorry. I didn't even notice that. I guess that's what I get for posting on here at 7am when I haven't been to bed yet. My bad. Yeah, I'll go roll again.

message 48: by VampAmber (last edited Feb 15, 2016 07:25PM) (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Turn 11

Rolled: 8 (4+4)
Started On: Ventnor Avenue (now owned by me)
Landed On: Short Line Railroad - Read a novella.
Read: Not My Wolf by Eden Cole finished 1/30/16 (50 pages)
Review: This was a nice and sexy M/M werewolf romance (though it was probably more soft core erotica). I definitely liked it. I especially liked the fact that they both had alpha personalities, so there were lots of arguments over who's on top and whatnot. The author could've spent a bit less time having the MC go on and on about "I'm not gay, I swear, I'm not!", but other than that it was really yummy. Though that was the reason it got 4 stars from me instead of 5. Might hafta look into more by this author (though definitely not the second book in this series, since the plot sounded horrible and the reviews made it sound even worse).

Turn 12

Rolled: 7 (1+6)
Started On: Short Line Railroad (now owned by me)
Rolled: 3 (1+2)
Card: Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
Read: Gift-Wrapped in Her Wedding Dress by Kandy Shepherd
Review: Fluffy romance novel perfection. I'd already read and loved another of Kandy Shepherd's books a few months ago (From Paradise...to Pregnant!), but didn't realize that when I bought this one (about a month or so back). When I realized it was the same author, I was so excited! And that excitement was most definitely rewarded. I'm starting to think she may be one of my favorite Harlequin authors. ^_^ Even if I am almost two months late, it was nice reading a Christmas themed romance novel, and it was especially interesting to see how much Australian Christmases differed, and how much was the exact same. I was also really happy that, for once, the Scrooge-like character had an actual good reason for hating Christmas, and not just the usual "I hate it because.... because I'm a grump that needs to be shown the light of day and nothing more." Those get so dull after just a few pages, but this one I absolutely adored. Five stars, all the way.

message 49: by Brittany (last edited Mar 16, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Brittany (wulfgirl) | 71 comments Turn 11

Started On: Pennsylvania Ave
Rolled: 3 ( 1 + 2)
Landed On: Park Place - Must read 3 books from the Never Finished Shelf to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

Not sure yet what I'm reading and this could take a while with 3 books to be read. lol

Book 1 - The Handmaid's Tale page 3
Book 2- The Nightingale page 15
Book 3- The House at Riverton page 19

message 50: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 349 comments Boardwalk felt like it took forever, too. But at least you'll be back in one book territory when you're done. ^_^

« previous 1