What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s Gay Protagonist is Kidnapped by Bombers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raz (new)

Raz | 87 comments I've a vague recollection of a book I read in the library in the late 90s. It was a paperback book, not too long, and probably mis-categorised in the sci-fi/fantasy section. It was general fiction, maybe a thriller or something.

The protagonist was a gay man. I think he worked, or volunteered as a counselor helping gay youth, and one of the young men he helped dealt drugs and was in with a bad crowd. OR his ex was a counselor and the protagonist was helping this youth out as a favour to his ex. Or maybe this guy was his ex, only I don't think it's that.

Somehow the protagonist ended up getting kidnapped by an organisation that was planning to set a bunch of bombs, or just one. This group were white men and I don't think it was religiously affiliated. I don't think it was IRA related. I can't remember why they were wanting to bomb things. Maybe eco-terrorism? I don't know.

They're held in a house. He got handcuffed (or otherwise tied) to his ex, on a couch. I can't remember why they were holding the ex either. They ended up messing with the VCR clock to fool their kidnapper into letting them free early, or somehow otherwise messing up the timing of the bomb, or something.

I can't remember the cover it may have had some indication that the protagonist was gay on it, or perhaps that was the back blurb. I don't think I'd have picked up the book otherwise.

I'm certain that the book was pre-2000. It was either set in the US or in England.

Sorry for everything being so vague.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37566 comments Mod
Possibly Glamorama?

message 3: by Raz (new)

Raz | 87 comments Oh wow. That's a similar premise, at a first glance, well at least in regards to there being terrorists. It's not that book though.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32230 comments Mod
Raz, what's the genre or tone - thriller, crime, action, romantic suspense, etc.?

Is the setting a large city like London or New York?

message 5: by Raz (new)

Raz | 87 comments I said in the original post that I thought it was either general fiction, or a thriller. It was 20 years ago so my memory is really fuzzy on the specifics.

I picked it up from the sci-fi/fantasy section of the library though but I don't recall any sci-fi in it so I suspect it was miscategorised.

I'm not even sure if it was a thriller. Actually genre was probably gay fiction, but not romance. It was a fairly light read from what I recall and likely a reasonably short book since I recall reading it in the library, and I don't remember taking it home. (Although maybe I did, or maybe that's why I remember so little.) I don't recall anything graphic sexually in it.

I think it's set in Britain. I'm not sure why I think that though. It could as easily be America. City-based probably but I can't remember anything more than that.

I just recall the protagonist, (might have been in first person) driving his car to go check on one of the guys he was counselling maybe? Or his ex was?

And I remember them being kidnapped by the kidnappers, not that they planned to grab the protagonist, he was just in the way. The kidnappers planning the bombing while these two guys are tied up on the couch and how they mess with the vcr clock to change the time and that somehow helps them escape.

Which is just me repeating what I said earlier.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15760 comments Still looking, Raz?

message 7: by Raz (new)

Raz | 87 comments Yep

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Glamorama (other topics)