New Adult Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Q&A with A.M. Hargrove & Terri E. Laine *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LeAnn (last edited Nov 22, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

This week we want to give a huge welcome to A.M. Hargrove and Terri E. Laine, co-authors of the new release Cruel & Beautiful! They will be here all week for a Q&A!

Leave your questions below!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book you write?

message 3: by Shelby (new)

Shelby What made you want to become an author writing adult books?

message 4: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?

Sophie's Reading Corner  (sophiesreadingcorner) | 62 comments Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?

message 6: by Angelina (new)

Angelina (angelina-sexy-pervy-girl) | 46 comments Do you have any writing rituals?

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Brittany wrote: "Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book you write?"

I don't make playlist for every book that write. I do play music and I try to make note of what I'm playing in case I decide to reveal my playlist.

message 8: by Terri (last edited Nov 22, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Shelby wrote: "What made you want to become an author writing adult books?"

That's a long story. But I've "written" stories since I was young. I published my first book years ago (not C&B) on a dare. And it was a young adult paranormal book, not adult. I didn't write my first adult book until a couple of years later. I think I wanted to try something different. It was a contemporary romance billionaire serial written under a different pen name.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Vespi wrote: "The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?"

This is a A.M. question, but I'll tell you my part. She told me her story and I was like, you so have to write it. She said she couldn't. Too hard (emotional). I told her I would help her write it. And C&B was born. The past part of the story is based on true events. It's been fictionalize to a point in order to preserve privacy for those involved. And the present part of the book is completely fiction.

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are completely fiction. In fact, the end of the prologue is fiction. A.M.'s "Drew" did not ask her to leave, that was the hook to the present part of the story.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Angelina wrote: "Do you have any writing rituals?"

I personally do not. Every book I write I think the writing process is different.

Sophie's Reading Corner  (sophiesreadingcorner) | 62 comments Terri wrote: "ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are completely fiction. In fact, th..."

Thank you so much for those little snippets! So precious to know these! :)

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) ღSophieღ wrote: "Terri wrote: "ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are completely fictio..."

You are welccome. ;)

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal  | 145 comments What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Crystal wrote: "What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?"

That's a hard question. Everything I do seems so normal to me, lol. I usually have to get in the character's headspace. So if it's a depressing scene, I'll try to depress myself so when I write it comes off true. And I generally play the scenes out in my head a few times before I type them out.

message 16: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Brittany wrote: "Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book you write?"
I love to listen to music for my muse but oddly enough I need total quiet when I write because I have major ADD. If I listen, I find my mind wandering, and then I may as well close up my computer! As for playlists--YES! I'm on Spotify and you can follow me there. There's a playlist for Cruel and Beautiful!

message 17: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Crystal wrote: "What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?"
Hmm. I'm not sure I have one. My daily ritual, though, is to clear out my email and then go at it for as long as I can. I don't eat at my computer. That's a rule for me. But I do drink copious amounts of coffee!

message 18: by A.M. (last edited Nov 22, 2015 04:45PM) (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Vespi wrote: "The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?"
Hi Vespi. I met my "Drew" pretty much as the story is written. I was set up and he pursued me like crazy. I had no interest in him at all. He wasn't a doctor--that part was fiction. But he was every bit as chivalrous as the book Drew and I fell hard for him. The descriptions are based on my "Drew" and the way he became ill and the type of cancer he had were all based on the truth. Even the treatments, surgeries, etc were all accurate. His character--his good-hearted nature--were all true to his real self.

message 19: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Shelby wrote: "What made you want to become an author writing adult books?"
Hi Shelby! I was a journalism minor in college and for years I wanted to write but had another career. The company I worked for was bought out by another so I finally got my opportunity to give it a go. I started out in YA and then switched to adult. I quickly realized I enjoyed writing the steamy stuff WAY MORE than the tame stuff, LOL!

message 20: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"
Hi Sophie! The present was all Terri. When she suggested we write this together--because there was no way I ever would've done this alone-- she was the genius behind the present!

message 21: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Terri wrote: "ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are completely fiction. In fact, th..."

That's true-- My "Drew" never asked me to leave. However, the rest of the prologue is accurate in that he asked me to call 911 because he couldn't walk, and so on. I did, however, ride in the ambulance with him.

Sophie's Reading Corner  (sophiesreadingcorner) | 62 comments A.M. wrote: "Terri wrote: "ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are completely fictio..."

I'm truly sorry you had to go through this. I'm glad Terri helped you and you both brought this story to life. And I hope you've found your HEA!

message 23: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments Terri wrote: "Vespi wrote: "The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?"

This is a A.M. question, bu..."

Thank you so much for your answer. And for helping A.M. write the story I've come to love.

message 24: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments A.M. wrote: "Vespi wrote: "The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?"
Hi Vespi. I met my "Drew" pr..."

Hi A.M., thank you so much for replying. I am so, so sorry you lost such a wonderful man. Drew was so amazing and such a gentleman. Did you also meet at college?

Also, I know the present chapters are fiction, but I am so happy Cate found love with Andy. I think some people tend to forget that you can find love again, and doing so does not mean your first love is forgotten or any less loved.

message 25: by kgagnon (new)

kgagnon (skkgagnon) | 20 comments That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?

message 26: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments A.M. wrote: "Shelby wrote: "What made you want to become an author writing adult books?"
Hi Shelby! I was a journalism minor in college and for years I wanted to write but had another career. The company I work..."

"I quickly realized I enjoyed writing the steamy stuff WAY MORE than the tame stuff, LOL! "

THANK YOU I enjoy reading it more than the tame stuff lol!

message 27: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments ღSophieღ wrote: "A.M. wrote: "Terri wrote: "ღSophieღ wrote: "Hello, I'd like to ask about present chapters. Where they also based on real events or was it only the past the real aspect of the book?"

Those are comp..."

I have! Thank you. I'm currently married and have 2 grown kids. :) And I'm glad Terri had this amazing idea, too!

message 28: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Karen wrote: "That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?"

I'll let Terri tell her side, but for me, it was really a chronological thing. We talked A LOT about what to include and not include because as the writing progressed we saw how long the book was going to be. And then of course, there were TONS of tears, too!

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Karen wrote: "That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?"

We discussed a lot. We both still cry at all the parts you guys did. We tried to include the major stuff otherwise the story would have gone on forever. And most importantly, we wanted a HEA, thus the present part of the story.

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Vespi wrote: "Terri wrote: "Vespi wrote: "The author's note says that real events inspired the book. Would you be willing to share more about the real Drew McKnight and how he impacted your life?"

This is a A.M..."

:)

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Markson | 28 comments Is it hard to co-write a book.

message 32: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Lisa wrote: "Is it hard to co-write a book."

So I'll answer for myself on this one. Like I said before, I could not have written this story without Terri, so I'll have to say no. The hard part for me is when my stupidassery kicks in and I actually work on the wrong doc, LOL, like I did yesterday! *slams face on desk* Anyway, I find it a ton of fun to do joint projects.

message 33: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments By the way, everyone, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to ask us all these cool questions! <3

message 34: by Betül (new)

Betül (gemiinii) | 135 comments Which scenes were the hardest and easiest to write?

message 35: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Betul wrote: "Which scenes were the hardest and easiest to write?"

For me, the most difficult ones to write were the ones where Drew McKnight gets sick. And then, as his disease progresses, those scenes became really tough. Then Terri would Vox me and she'd be crying and I'd cry and we'd have a major cry fest! And then we'd get it out of our system, until the next chapter. LOL! It was so crazy. And you all should've seen us during the editing. OMG. It was so ridiculous. We'd cry. Then laugh. I think at some point we may have both said we were going to kill each other for doing this. Terri will have to weigh in on this one too. Honestly, we should've bought stock in the Kleenex company! LOL

message 36: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments A.M. wrote: "Betul wrote: "Which scenes were the hardest and easiest to write?"

For me, the most difficult ones to write were the ones where Drew McKnight gets sick. And then, as his disease progresses, those ..."

You did an amazing job writing about the emotions and pain there. My heart honestly hurt reading those scenes. In fact it still hurts thinking about it. The character's emotions were so raw I felt as if I were in the story.

Gah, I'm crying again! Let's buy stock in Kleenex, doesn't look like I'll stop anytime soon.

message 37: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments Terri wrote: "Karen wrote: "That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?"

We discussed a lot. We both still cry at all the parts you guys did. We tried to include the major stuff otherwise the story would have gone on forever. And most importantly, we wanted a HEA, thus the present part of the story. "

Did you cut out or shorten anything that your wished you could have added? The book was very long and I know you had to cut out or not add some things.

message 38: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Vespi wrote: "A.M. wrote: "Betul wrote: "Which scenes were the hardest and easiest to write?"

For me, the most difficult ones to write were the ones where Drew McKnight gets sick. And then, as his disease progr..."

LOL Vespi! Now you sound like Terri and me! But THANK YOU for the compliment of how we were able to capture the characters' emotions and pain. <3

message 39: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Vespi wrote: "Terri wrote: "Karen wrote: "That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?"

We dis..."

Vespi, we had to shorten the whole part where Drew was ill. We condensed it all for several reasons. The book was already long as it was, but we also didn't want to drag the illness out either. As you've already seen, cancer totally sucks. There was so much more of what the real "Drew" went through that I just didn't think was appropriate for the story. Do I wish we would've added more? No. We took the reader through a lot of pain as it were. They didn't need to go through anymore. And we did worry about the length of the book, but we decided the story had to be told as it was. Even our editor couldn't find anything to cut.

message 40: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Lisa wrote: "Is it hard to co-write a book."

I think it depends on who you are writing with. For A.M. and I, it was perfect. We both had ideas and we worked together to put out a book we are both proud of. In fact, we are writing another book together and probably more after that, lol.

message 41: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Betul wrote: "Which scenes were the hardest and easiest to write?"

Yeah, I'm with A.M. Every time I go back and revisit those scenes I cry. It was tough to read and to know it happened. Gah, thinking of it right now tears me up.

message 42: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Vespi wrote: "Terri wrote: "Karen wrote: "That was great of you to want to help A.M. write her painful story. How hard was it to do it justice? Did you discuss how much to include and what to leave out?"

We dis..."

The book was long. It could have been two books. We just didn't know where to cut off and begin again. We searched on places to cut. But it was important for the reader to experience "carefree" Cate in the past and for lack of a better word, "jaded" Cate in the present. We also thought it was important to balance the happy/laughs with the sad/tears. Overall, we didn't want to sacrifice character and relationship development for word count.

message 43: by Terri (last edited Nov 24, 2015 06:46AM) (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Thanks guys for stopping in with your questions. I love talking about books.

message 44: by Vespi (last edited Nov 24, 2015 12:11PM) (new)

Vespi | 19 comments A few more questions (for now at least lol):

1. I'm curious, (view spoiler)

2. How important was it (view spoiler)

3. Umm, have any happy news? I feel like I've been a downer and need some happiness lol. You are both married with wonderful kids I (hopefully correctly) presume?

**Edited to add spoiler tags.

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri Laine (terrielaine) Vespi wrote: "A few more questions (for now at least lol):

1. I'm curious, (view spoiler)

Well (view spoiler)

2. How important was it writing the epilogue showing Cate's remarriage and starting...?"

Actually, the original epilogue ended at the wedding when she told him her secret. Then I was given the talk from several writer/reader friends of mine that epic books should have epic epilogues. Well, I wanted to think we had an epic book. So I added to the epilogue. I'm told readers want to know more of what happens after the HEA. So there is why the epilogue is extended. Love it or hate it, lol.

3. Happy news?

Yes, I'm married with three kids. A.M. is married with two. But I'll let her tell you that, lol.

Sophie's Reading Corner  (sophiesreadingcorner) | 62 comments One last question for me as well.

Who thought of the present/past way of writing? I think this was what worked in this book, when it comes to the surprise and the twist, but also what made the reader fall, when you pulled the rag beneath our legs.

message 47: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments Terri wrote: "Vespi wrote: "A few more questions (for now at least lol):

1. I'm curious, [spoilers removed]

Well First I hope you don't mind. I put your question in spoiler tags because it is a major spoiler..."

What Terri said, haha! As for the Epilogue, we totally wanted it to be an epic HEA. Both of them deserved it. And now when I go back and read it, I do so with a huge smile.
As for happy news, I have 2 grown kids. I mean really grown. A son about to finish law school who is married. His wife loves my books. He says I damaged him when he accidentally opened his wife's iPad to one of my books and it happened to be in a sex scene. Not good for him. I laughed. And a daughter who is also out of college and who, ironically hates to read fiction. She only reads biographies. She takes after her father. LOL

message 48: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hargrove (amhargrove1) | 26 comments ღSophieღ wrote: "One last question for me as well.

Who thought of the present/past way of writing? I think this was what worked in this book, when it comes to the surprise and the twist, but also what made the rea..."

The past/present was Terri's brainchild. I told her about my first marriage and she said I should write the story. I said I could never do it. Then she had this brilliant idea. And C&B was born. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I could write it this way. And...it could give the reader a wonderful HEA too. So Terri's brilliance came through with the parallel story in the past/present. And the end result turned out much better than I ever hoped for. But I'll let Terri give her side of it.

message 49: by Vespi (new)

Vespi | 19 comments "The past/present was Terri's brainchild. I told her about my first marriage and she said I should write the story. I said I could never do it. Then she had this brilliant idea. And C&B was born. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I could write it this way. And...it could give the reader a wonderful HEA too. So Terri's brilliance came through with the parallel story in the past/present. And the end result turned out much better than I ever hoped for. But I'll let Terri give her side of it."

I could feel your pain through the pages, it was much too real to be made up...I can't even imagine going through the loss of a great love so young. But thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I think it really needed to be told.

And thank you for extending the epilogue, I love seeing beyond the HEA and making sure everyone is still living good :)

message 50: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Do you listen to music while writing?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.