Catholic Readers discussion

Fiction > The Lord of the Rings & Tolkien

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dominika (new)

Dominika | 4 comments It is known that Tolkien was a devout Catholic author so I thought it might be interesting if we could have a discussion topic about his works. :)

message 2: by Dominika (new)

Dominika | 4 comments Joseph Pearce's works such as Bilbo's Journey talk about the Catholic symbolism in Tolkien's works. Has anybody read them?

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) From time to time EWTN will show a program on the Catholic connection to The Lord of the Rings.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 36 comments I just took a class on this with Dr. Peter Kreeft, the author of The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings. It was really fascinating to dig into the Catholic worldview in the novel.

message 5: by Jonas (new)

Jonas Perez (JonsPrez) | 10 comments I feel bad for admitting it, but I'm not a huge fan of his writing. I've been reading the three works lately. I absolutely love that he was Catholic and had such an admirable and contagious devotion. But his prose are extremely long winded--kind of Dickenseque (if that's a term)...influential, yet not my atheistic

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) Not your atheistic what?

message 7: by Jonas (new)

Jonas Perez (JonsPrez) | 10 comments Just a little extra descriptive for me

message 8: by Jonas (new)

Jonas Perez (JonsPrez) | 10 comments Just a little extra descriptive for me

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments I read the Hobbit. Here is my review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I was disappointed by the writing style. I just thought it should've been presented in a different way. But I did love the idea and I did enjoy parts of the book. I loved the movies way better though.

And I did not feel any "Catholic Theme" in it. Other than some minor things like Thorien's pride. And few other things. I did find it funny though. I'd love it if I could discuss it with someone to help me understand why Tolkien wrote Bilbo as a very weak and selfish character. While in the movies he seemed more noble and heroic. It really bugged me in the book.

message 10: by Dominika (new)

Dominika | 4 comments Try Joseph Pearce's Bilbo's Journey: Discovering the Hidden Meaning in The Hobbit (about The Hobbit) and/or Frodo's Journey: Discover the Hidden Meaning of The Lord of the Rings (about the Lord of the Rings). Especially since you don't feel much of a "Catholic Theme" present in The Hobbit, these might help uncover the hidden Christian meaning. I hope it helps! :)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments Dominika wrote: "Try Joseph Pearce's Bilbo's Journey: Discovering the Hidden Meaning in The Hobbit (about The Hobbit) and/or [book:Frodo's Journey: Discover the Hidden Meaning of The Lord of the Rin..."

Thats awesome thank you.