The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Who's more famous, Percy or Harry?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 21, 2015 11:36PM) (new)

When I mean famous, this can go in all directions. Which fandom is more insane, which series is more famous by societies standards, which character is better, which character has the most fangirls/fanboys, etc.

Spiros Tsakiris I think that when it comes to society standards, harry potter had a more cultural impact than percy jackson. Classic witchcraft, with witches and wizards and magic wands being mentioned that is, is a bigger part of pop culture than ancient god magic is.

Harleen as in Harry Potter? I have read the lightning thief and liked it but overall I think a lot more enjoy Harry Potter and it's been going around for years like if your a teen, Harry Potter is one of a classic.

Elaine Everyone has at least heard of Harry Potter, young and old but, Percy Jackson is more popular among younger people and not many adults know about it

message 5: by Marissa (new) - added it

Marissa Harry! The Saga is still current through the entire world although the first book was released over 10 years ago. Percy is not that popular.

Serena By social standards, the PJO/HOO series is more popular, however Harry Potter is undoubtedly a classic. Personally I prefer Percy to Harry. Don't get me wrong, I love the Harry Potter series, but it's always felt like Percy had more against him, making the series more action-packed than Harry Potter. I believe they really have more or less the same number of fans because, most people are fans of both. I've seen several posts asking, "Which is better? Harry Potter or Percy Jackson?" Almost everyone has replied with, "Both." On other sites, I constantly see Percy Jackson and Harry Potter crossovers. Some people may argue that one is better than the other, however I, and many others, agree that both are wonderful and we can't choose.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Percy Jackson would be more popular than Harry Potter is the director of the movies read the book first. I think the HP series has become popular because of it's great movies. If the PJO movies were amazing, they would be more popular.

Bibliophile Okay, so this question isn't a great question, because in popularity, Harry Potter is way more popular. The movies made sure of that, and with all of the movies made, more than a majority of people know who Harry Potter is. There are interactive games online for free to play like Pottermore, and a lot of video games, but the proper question would be which is better? I don't think it is possible right now for Percy Jackson to be more popular than Harry Potter, not because it's better, but because, let's be honest, the movies sucked. The Percy Jackson movies were nothing like the books, and they were utterly terrible. They may have been good movies, if they had changed all of the names, because they were so different from the books that they could have been completely different stories. I think that had the Percy Jackson movies been semi-like the book they may be more popular.

Verena144 I think almost everybody knows Harry Potter and just the half knows Percy Jackson. Also I think, that the Harry Potter movies are better than the Percy Jackson movies. Why there isn't a third or fourth movie? But i think, that the books are both good,too.

Juniper_07 I think a lot of people know Harry Potter, because all the book became big great movies, which didn't happen with Percy Jackson... So there are more Harry Potter fans than Percy Jackson fans, but are they really in the fandom, even if they haven't read the books?

holland Harry is much more popular. I'm guessing mostly because all the Harry Potter books are good movies and not all the Percy Jackson books are movies. And they aren't very good.

message 12: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Fandom is no question; Harry Potter is the best selling book series in history and all seven books broke records, each book breaking the previous book's records (from my memory, at least). I'm not in the PJ fandom so I wouldn't know how insane they are, but as a Potterhead, I can assure you that we're pretty darn crazy. I think that Percy has more fangirls as a character, but like I said above, HP is the more famous one and also I'm not in the PJ fandom. I can't say which character is better because too many fangirls would get mad and I would start WWIII, so argue among yourselves.

Ashna Saxena Definitely Harry! And I guess that has to do with the way J.K Rowling has written the books. Her writing has this sophistication to it that Rick Riordan's does not.

Cristina Harry Potter! Percy was good, but it definitely hasn't sold as many books as Harry Potter. Also, the PJ movies kinda suck, where the Harry Potter movies were actually a success, so definitely Harry Potter. The PJ series is popular now, but I don't think it will ever get as big as Harry Potter.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Emerald wrote: "Fandom is no question; Harry Potter is the best selling book series
in history
and all seven books broke records, each book breaking the previous book's records (from my memory, at least). I'm ..."

The PJO fandom is the 2nd most craziest fandom. Here's the proof.

https://marchaelary.wordpress.com/201...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I would have to say that Harry Potter is more popular than Percy Jackson. This is just what I observe but I have never actually read Harry Potter, only Percy Jackson which I found a mediocre series although I know many people liked it. All in all it would seem that Harry Potter is more "famous."

Joshua percy

Joshua I say that because I don't like harry potter and Percy is awesome at least that's what I think.

message 19: by Mihail (new)

Mihail Percy who? ;-)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

By society's standards, Harry Potter is more famous. But I think Percy Jackson has the most fangirls. Percy Jackson would be equally, if not more, famous than Harry Potter is the movies were actually GOOD.

message 21: by MIN YOONGI (last edited Dec 02, 2015 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MIN YOONGI harry potter is more famous. I know a lot of people who don't even know who percy jackson is

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The fact that there were eight Harry Potter movies, that Harry Potter was published much before Percy Jackson, and it is known by pretty mucb everyone. I would have to say Harry Potter wins.

Jaskson56 Definitely Harry Potter. Even though I read the Percy Jackson series first and the Harry Potter series second, I still think Harry because I heard about Harry Potter before Percy Jackson. All in all they are both good series and has lots of fans.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I like Harry Potter is. Percy Jackson is kind of confusing to me.

message 25: by Leo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leo Harry Potter is definitely the more popular of the two. For one, the first HP book was written eight years before any of the PJ, so it's got that many more years of fans gained. Two HP is both loved by the young and adults, while PJ seems to have a younger fandom. Three, there are more fans of the HP movies (that have not read the books) than there are of the PJ movies. Some have mentioned that the PJ fandom is crazy, but have you met HP fandom people? Theres also the website Pottermore that is still very popular today, theres also the fact that you can visit a physical Diagon Alley in florida (maybe other places too). There are Cons dedicated to HP but not PJ(as far as I know). There is HP products that have been transformed into real products (butterbeer, bertie bott's every flavor beans etc.). You will find more people outside of ''fandoms'' who are die-hard HP fans but not as many for PJ. Now for the stories, HP gets 'darker/more adult' over time, which mirrors the aging of Harry. The bad guys in HP are more realistic, they're not monsters or gods they're evil men, which empyrically a lot scarier than a fantasy creature. HP has been translated into 68 languages, while PJ has been translated to only 37. Ask anyone what house they are and you'll get more people telling you exactly what house they'd be sorted into, but ask anyone who their 'god' parent is and you'll be looked like a crazy person. Also, lets not forget that Quidditch is a real thing, people in several countries and colleges actually play for a 'world cup'.

And finally the number one fact that supports that HP is more popular than PJ is that the book series made JK Rowling a BILLIONAIRE. Not a millionaire, a BILLIONAIRE.

There is probably more stuff that I'm forgetting that supports that HP is more popular than PJ, but that is not to say that PJ isn't good or popular in it's own right. I personally liked reading them too.

Faizan Harry Of course. No need to give reasons.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Mihail wrote: "Percy who? ;-)"

PERSASSY!!!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Verena144 wrote: "I think almost everybody knows Harry Potter and just the half knows Percy Jackson. Also I think, that the Harry Potter movies are better than the Percy Jackson movies. Why there isn't a third or fo..."

If you are judging by the movies, you are not allowed to give your opinion. The PJO movies were THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER! It is a disgrace to the name of Percy Jackson.

Olivia Our PJO fandom is much crazier, and we have the craziest author (Uncle Rick lol) but I would say Harry Potter is most famous bc it came first. Plus, most people don't even read books, they watch movies. That's another reason why Harry is more popular, because Harry has his own set of movies that are actually good.

But I love our fandom to the death!

Jaskson56 Harry Potter definitely. Of course because it was made before Percy Jackson.

Addie Percy Jackson. It does not necessarily have to go with which one was made first. About everyone i have talked to has read the Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan is even coming out with more!XD Percy Jackson still has many fans and Harry Potter has just about died out

Addie Olivia wrote: "Our PJO fandom is much crazier, and we have the craziest author (Uncle Rick lol) but I would say Harry Potter is most famous bc it came first. Plus, most people don't even read books, they watch mo..."

Percy Jackson has movies

message 33: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Olivia wrote: "we have the craziest author (Uncle Rick lol)"

You call your author uncle....?

Ashna Saxena It doesn't matter which book came out first or which has a crazier fandom, it is about which character is more popular. The movies don't really matter either.

Ashna Saxena Raelynn wrote: Percy Jackson. It does not necessarily have to go with which one was made first. About everyone i have talked to has read the Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan is even coming out with more!XD Percy Jackson still has many fans and Harry Potter has just about died out

Rick Riordan may be coming out with new books, but they aren't good. And for the record, so is J.K. Rowling. And Harry Potter will never "die".

message 36: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Raelynn wrote: "Percy Jackson has movies "
Not very good ones. Agreeably, the Harry Potter movies are also mediocre, but Percy Jackson's movies are even worse.

Raelynn wrote: "Percy Jackson. It does not necessarily have to go with which one was made first. About everyone i have talked to has read the Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan is even coming out with more!XD Percy Jackson still has many fans and Harry Potter has just about died out"

JK Rowling is coming out with more books too, and good ones at that. And what the hell do you mean, 'died out'? I think that JK Rowling has earnt a place among William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, George Orwell, JRR Tolkien, etc. In other words, people will always be reading Harry Potter and enjoying it; the craze will never truly die.

Besides, Cursed Child? Fantastic Beasts? All of the Potterheads are hyped. And you've obviously never been in the HP fandom because we're just as crazy as ever.

And last time I checked, Riordan wasn't a billionaire.

Olivia Rick tells readers to call him Uncle Rick. He's weird. XD

message 38: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Percabeth Forever wrote: "I think Percy Jackson would be more popular than Harry Potter is the director of the movies read the book first. I think the HP series has become popular because of it's great movies. If the PJO mo..."

I read Harry as an adult but havent even bought Percy yet despite my intention to read it. Harry hit a wider audience book wise. The movies didnt make Harry popular, he already was international. I didnt hear of Percy until after the first movie came out and I only paid attention because I like paranormal themes. Im sure I will enjoy Percy, but Im positive Harry is a bigger name and it has very little to do with the movies. Harry got a new generation reading and people of all ages liked the story.

message 39: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Raelynn wrote: "Percy Jackson. It does not necessarily have to go with which one was made first. About everyone i have talked to has read the Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan is even coming out with more!XD P..."

Harrys main story is complete in book and movie form. Percys isnt. Riorden could still jump the shark and lose his fandom. Dont mistake the newer fad for the better story. Its exciting that theres more to come, doesnt mean youll like it once its done.

Ashna Saxena Raelynn wrote: "Percy Jackson has movies "

Yes, Percy Jackson has movies, but the are pathetic. And so does Harry Potter, and they are way better than the Percy Jackson movies.

Cleopatraselene2 PJO series is taking the popularity place of Harry Potter as the first generationers grow up.

message 42: by Rae (last edited Jan 03, 2016 05:39AM) (new) - added it

Rae Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "PJO series is taking the popularity place of Harry Potter as the first generationers grow up."

Your proof? I read Harry Potter before I even heard of Percy Jackson.

Edit: I should add that I am part of the newer generation. It's not because I read HP before PJ came out, haha.

Cleopatraselene2 Emerald wrote: "Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "PJO series is taking the popularity place of Harry Potter as the first generationers grow up."

Your proof? I read Harry Potter before I even heard of Percy Jackson.

Edit:..."

You are one person out of all people. That hardly counts as a counter argument. Rick Riordan has over twenty-one books out, out of which many have made the top bestsellers list. More kids are reading Percy Jackson books rather than Harry Potter, or they are reading both. Harry Potter was released too long ago for the new rush of people waiting for the sequel in the series to come out. Rick Riordan has four series, one of which is still releasing books. A new series is coming out in May.

Addie I do think Percy Jackson. Everyone I meet is itching to get the new book Rick riordan comes out with cause he is a good author. Not many people are reading Harry Potter any more. Plus u got to give them a chance to make more movies for pj.

message 45: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "You are one person out of all people. That hardly counts as a counter argument. Rick Riordan has over twenty-one books out, out of which many have made the top bestsellers list. More kids are reading Percy Jackson books rather than Harry Potter, or they are reading both. Harry Potter was released too long ago for the new rush of people waiting for the sequel in the series to come out. Rick Riordan has four series, one of which is still releasing books. A new series is coming out in May."

There is a distant land called Britain. Guess what? 60 million people live there! And Harry Potter is set in this distant, faraway land. Percy Jackson is set in North America. Wow! 60 million people are generally more familiar with HP than PJ.

I do think Percy Jackson. Everyone I meet is itching to get the new book Rick riordan comes out with cause he is a good author. Not many people are reading Harry Potter any more. Plus u got to give them a chance to make more movies for pj.

Guess what? We have a fandom just as big, if not probably bigger, than yours. We are constantly reading HP. Did you know that every 30 seconds someone starts reading Harry Potter? Also, Rick is a millionaire. Jo is a billionaire.

Rebecca only a few people i know have talked about the new percy jacckson book, but no one seems to ever talk about the h.p. books. In my humble opinion, i think harry potter is the more famous one, everyone seems to have read the books or seen the movies at one point in time.

Cleopatraselene2 Emerald wrote: "Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "You are one person out of all people. That hardly counts as a counter argument. Rick Riordan has over twenty-one books out, out of which many have made the top bestsellers ..."

Are you arguing that PJO is not more famous in Britain? Are you British and is that why you think it is more famous? I'm American and here it is more famous than Harry Potter.

message 48: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "Are you arguing that PJO is not more famous in Britain? Are you British and is that why you think it is more famous? I'm American and here it is more famous than Harry Potter. "

Just saying, over here, not many people have heard of Percy Jackson and everyone who has either has not read it or tried to read a bit of it and got bored (apart from me, who's trying to finish this book). It really depends on where you are in the world and your culture; North America does not make up the entire world, and maybe it's even specific to your state. I have a feeling that Harry Potter is far more international.

➳Fiona's not a ogre➳ I think Harry Potter fandom is more crazy (Percy Jackson kinda just copied Harry potter) It was still fabulous

Cleopatraselene2 Emerald wrote: "Cleopatraselene2 wrote: "Are you arguing that PJO is not more famous in Britain? Are you British and is that why you think it is more famous? I'm American and here it is more famous than Harry Pott..."

Ummm if barely any people like it in America why is all of his released books on the bestsellers list?? If his books are not big enough to be international, why was it translated into 17 languages? I was not arguing that pjo was the most popular in the entire world, I was arguing that it was more popular than Harry Potter in the US, because that's were I'm from.

« previous 1 3 4 5