What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Gay Fiction book [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexjrios (new)

Alexjrios | 2 comments I read this book in either 2006 or 2007. The book seemed to be (don't quote me on this) published in the late 90's. The book was hardcover, I think it was a dark yellow color, and there was an illustrated blonde teenage boy on the cover.

It's about a gay teenager (a senior in high school maybe). It's summer, and I think he lives in New York. He has a boyfriend named Alex, an aspiring actor, who's a little bit older, maybe 19 or 20, and an ex girlfriend named Brittany, who's his age. (I can't remember the name of the protagonist, as the book was in first person POV and the other characters rarely called him by his name).

He mentions knowing he was gay ever since he was little, because his mother was watching a talk show, and a few gay men were guests, and he says he just knew somehow that he was like them.

He works at a small convenience store, and the owner's niece (who's about his own age) is coming from a European country to visit him. The owner asks him to take care of his niece and show her around. There is an implication that he entrusts his niece to him because he knows the protagonist is gay.

He takes her out to dinner, and takes his boyfriend as well. I remember them playing footsie under the table, and whispering lovey things to each other when the girl is in the bathroom.

He tells the European girl that he's gay, and one of her first questions is 'Aren't you afraid of AIDS?' He replies that he and Alex are very careful.

At some point in the story, he runs into his ex girlfriend (I think he was at the beach) and she offers him a ride home. They talk for a bit, establishing a bit of camaraderie, until he decides to come out out to her. She then kicks him out of her car.

The European girl (I think her name starts with an I?) has trouble speaking English, and has extra trouble with idioms and expressions. At one point she says 'money burrows a whole in my pocket' instead of 'money burns a hole in my pocket'.

Fast forward to what I think is the end of the novel, the protagonist and the European girl go to her home after a day of exploring, and (I think) they're a bit tipsy or drunk. They end up having sex.

Afterwards, the European girl angrily exclaims that he tricked her, and calls him 'a lamp in wolf's clothing' (or a lamp in sheep's clothing, I can't remember). He sleepily corrects her, and she kicks him out of her house.

I can't for the life of me remember what this book was called, or the author, and whether that was the ending. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Looks like the same book is being requested here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Raz (last edited Nov 22, 2015 08:00AM) (new)

Raz | 87 comments It might be worth joining the M/M Romance Group and posting on their book finding thread. They're generally very good at finding M/M books, although I'm not sure how good they are at finding older gay fiction you might get lucky.

You could also try https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32062 comments Mod
GR link for Mmarissa's suggestion - Hello, I Lied by M.E. Kerr.

message 6: by Alexjrios (new)

Alexjrios | 2 comments I think that's it! Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hello, I Lied (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

M.E. Kerr (other topics)