Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
What are the best Sci-Fi Movies:

1. That you have seen
2. That are in the works?

message 2: by Rion (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 7 comments This will sound cliche but I still think Blade Runner's final cut is the best science fiction I've seen to date. Realy looking forward to the second film in pre production currently.

message 3: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I've always meant to re-watch Blade Runner. I tried to watch it with a group of people who were just not into it, which made it hard to focus. I really loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - huge fan of Philip K Dick.

Best SciFi movies...of all time? That's a hard question. Donnie Darko and Sunshine come to mind, and more recently, Inception. My friends and I were pretty obsessed with Donnie D for a time.

message 4: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 16 comments Blade Runner is really high up there. My favorite of all time is Alien, though. Hard to say if it's the best sci fi movie, but it's the best horror movie, at least. I need to watch Interstellar a second time, I really really liked it the first time.

message 5: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Blade Runner is a great film but there are so many others I like too, often for different reasons. The Fifth Element, though cartoonish at times, had a cynical sense of humour and some interesting visions of the future. Predator and Alien for close and nasty encounters, Close Encounters of the Third Kind because of its sense of the mysterious, John Carpenter's version of The Thing, Robocop (1987 version), Aliens (search & rescue/combat mission), Jurassic Park, the Matrix trilogy, Gattaca, The Terminator/Terminator 2, A.I., District 9, Gamer, the original Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Minority Report.... Most of those date from the '80s and '90s. There haven't been many good movies in recent years IMO.

message 6: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

What about:
Dredd
A Scanner Darkly
12 Monkeys

message 7: by Lynda (last edited Dec 11, 2015 06:03PM) (new)

Lynda I really liked A Scanner Darkly, it had a great cast. Also, really liked District 9, I'd forgotten about that one.

Has anyone seen the 12 Monkeys TV series?

message 8: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Damon wrote: "What about:
Dredd
A Scanner Darkly
12 Monkeys"

Although I've read some of the Dredd comics/books, I wasn't all that crazy about the movie but it's been years since I've seen it. 12 Monkeys is quite good - I'd forgotten about it!

Lynda wrote: "Has anyone seen the 12 Monkeys TV series?"

:O Didn't even know there was a series! Is it good?

message 9: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Greg wrote: ":O Didn't even know there was a series! Is it good?"

That's my question. It's from Syfy, which I'm so gun shy with their stuff anymore, I'm reluctant to pay on Amazon to watch any of it. So far, I haven't seen it streaming anywhere else.

message 10: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Lynda wrote: "Greg wrote: ":O Didn't even know there was a series! Is it good?"

That's my question. It's from Syfy, which I'm so gun shy with their stuff anymore, I'm reluctant to pay on Amazon to watch any of..."

Did you see this preview? Looks promising.

message 11: by Damon, ZARDOZ (last edited Dec 12, 2015 02:29PM) (new)

Hi Greg

The Dredd movie is new. It is not the same as the Judge Dredd Movie which was not very good at all. It is very exciting but a little bit too violent, I had to close my eyes sometimes and I am a grown man.

message 12: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Damon wrote: "Hi Greg

The Dredd movie is new. It is not the same as the Judge Dredd Movie which was not very good at all. It is very exciting but a little bit too violent, I had to close my eyes sometimes and I..."

Ohhh! Didn't know it was remade - my bad! Intrigued about the remake now.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (tethys) | 2 comments Just to add, I've been watching the 12 Monkeys Syfy series, and I think its the strongest of their new batch of shows so far. It's best to think of it as a different story starting from a similar premise (with respect to the movie), but they take the story in a very interesting direction. I have high hopes for season 2 :).

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Feltgen | 1 comments I for my part find that I have never seen a Sci-fi movie based on a book that really blew my mind, cause I imagined the stuff I read more vivid than showed in movies and I find that the ideas and views aren't suffeciently developped. That is for example in nearly all movies based on Phil K Dick books or concepts, as Minority Report or Total Recall (the newer one being the worst interpretation ever)
If there is something that I enjoyed A LOT, and please don't juge me, was the new Mad Max movies for three reasons:
crazy visionals, the using of the concept in every single detail and the 100% integrity of the movie plot. I watched it twice in the theaters.

message 15: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Good to know, Allie. I'm going to go old school and rent the DVDs on Netflix, because I'm cheap, and don't want to pay for the series on Amazon. It's really frustrating that there isn't a way to stream SyFy on my tablet.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark As someone who's getting back into writing, I've come to appreciate Blade Runner even more. (Especially the Final Cut.) It's neo-noir, it's action, it's high concept sci-fi, and it does it all well.

message 17: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Lynch's Dune...yes! (Well, Lynch anything is a yes! to me). What I especially love about it is that it's so different from the book, but equally as good. Thus, we get two Dunes.

message 18: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I think another classic sci-fi film - now 'inspiring' a new TV series for 2016 - is Westworld. Probably a bit dated now as it came out in 1973 but I guess it's still fun to watch for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

message 19: by Rion (last edited Apr 02, 2016 03:50AM) (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 7 comments Dune is one of the pains in my side that will never go away until Lynch finally agrees to go back and remaster it. I'm told the studio has offered to allow him carte blanche in remastering up to even re-shooting new scenes, like Ridley Scott for his final cut of Blade Runner, which also had a disastrous studio cut released into theaters in it's original release. The problem with Dune getting a remastering is that Lynch just doesn't want to do it. At least he finally hammered out contract negotiations and is working on the new Twin Peaks episodes. After watching Jodorowsky's Dune , I have a feeling Jodorowsky's script was a major reason Lynch signed onto the endeavor. What happened? The studio's screwed Lynch over so badly that he eventually walked away from the production and or was left out of the final cut process and the version we have today was put together by the production staff. It was so bad Lynch took his name off the film. He has since put his name back on the film, but a true final cut will probably never get made, mostly due to Lynch, again just not wanting to return the title, or who knows maybe he's waiting for them to offer him enough money to do it. The only version of the film I ever liked was the t.v. Alan Smithee version, whose digital tapes have since been lost as well and therefore can't be remastered. There are some terrible t.v. rips that can be found on the internet, but they are almost unwatchable do to quality. I could nerd out further but I'll spare everyone. Maybe there are others present that feel my pain regarding Dune.

message 20: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I enjoyed Lynch's take on Dune so I'd like to see a director's cut version too. The film will always have some odd associations for me. I first saw it as a teen with my family in the city where I was born but did not grow up in. After the movie, on our way back to the car, we passed a side street in which a man in his 40s lay bleeding out in the snow - a couple of people trying to comfort him at his side. He had been stabbed by some youths whom he'd complained about when they entered a bar (because they were under age). The barman kicked them out so they waited until the man who complained about them left the bar and attacked him. It was a vicious attack, yet it only made a small news item a few pages into one of the city's newspapers. The victim, Richard Chateauneuf, had the unhappy distinction of being the first murder victim of the year in that city.

That all said, I like many of the visuals in Lynch's Dune, especially the interesting blend of 19C-style court dress, ornate spacecraft, 'ornithopters' and the bloated monstrosity of the Baron Harkonnen. The story's broader concepts such as bending space and time with the power of the mind through the use of a drug ('spice'), heart plugs (ugh!), the Bene Gesserit nuns/witches working to engineer a special being through breeding and so on make Dune a great book and a great movie (except, in the latter case, for the innovation of the twee fight scene between Paul Atreides and Fayd Rautha Harkonnen).

Never saw the TV miniseries but it looks like a pale imitation of Lynch's vision.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Johnson | 6 comments Children of Men is my first thought. For a film made without cuts and jump-edits, it's pretty awesome to watch.

message 22: by Jim (last edited Apr 11, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Jim  Davis | 48 comments I saw that someone made a list of SF movies by year so I decided to be self indulgent and do my own chronological list rating each movie based on when it was made and not by today's standards.

1927 -Metropolis
1931 - Frankenstein
1931 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
1940's - nothing stood out for me in that decade
1951 - The Day the Earth Stood Still
1953 - The Beast From 20,000 fathoms
1953 - The War of the Worlds
1954 - Them
1956 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers
1960 - The Time Machine
1964 - The Last Man on Earth
1966 - Fahrenheit 451
1968 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
1969 - The illustrated Man
1971 - The Omega Man
1971 - THX 1138
1972 - Silent Running
1972 - Slaughterhouse Five
1973 - Soylent Green
1974 - Dark Star
1974 - Zardoz
1975 - A Boy and His Dog
1975 - The Ultimate Warrior
1976 - Logan's Run
1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1977 - Star Wars

and after that there are too many to great movies to list.

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim  Davis | 48 comments I saw that many people thought highly of Blade Runner and that includes me. I'm also a big fan of Philip K Dick and loved "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" The film did a good job of picking up the major plot line of PDK's book about retiring androids/replicants and the the gray area of what does being human really mean. It leaves out several subplots, especially the religious subplot about Mercerism and instead uses a strong noirish feel to move the plot along. Including all the subplots would have required a mini-series. And in 1982 the visuals completely blew me away. Even today i find the visuals very impressive. I have a small preference for the Director's Cut version but they're all good. It's interesting how many PDK books and stories have been made into films. I believe there have been 11 but only 3 or 4 were as successfully done as Blade Runner. Prior to Blade Runner I would have considered works by PDK to be very difficult to transfer to the big screen. What did I know? I actually had a LaserDisc recording of Blade Runner. Anybody remember LaserDisc?

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom (tombug) | 3 comments Good list Jim, although don't forget Westworld 1973 and Death Race 2000 1975, also classics worth mentioning.

Beyond the classics, my favorites of the modern ones are Inception, Ex Machina, Fifth Element, Fury Road and Wall-E (still sci-fi, even animated).

message 25: by Nima (new)

Nima (nshayanfar) | 17 comments has any of le guin's works ever been made into a movie?

message 26: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

There is an animated Earthsea movie.

message 27: by Nima (new)

Nima (nshayanfar) | 17 comments I'll give it a go... but i guess i was hoping that it would be sth that i have already read. tanx anyway

message 28: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

I know there is also a TV movie of The Lathe of Heaven

message 29: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

I just looked on IMDB and see they have actually made a second TV movie of Lathe of Heaven

message 30: by Nima (new)

Nima (nshayanfar) | 17 comments thats more like it. thanks damon

message 31: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

http://www.imdb.com/find?ref_=nv_sr_f...

The new one looks pretty Jazzy. I think I found out about the older one by reading something LeGuin had said about in an interview.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Close Encounters, as well as Signs (big fan of M Night Shyamalan), Alien, Predator, and Terminator series I really enjoy as well, admittedly, I'm not up to date on all of them though. I generally like the theme of Humanity vs Aliens/Robot(AI), so I also gotta include Pacific Rim!

message 33: by Rion (last edited May 27, 2016 08:29PM) (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 7 comments I just found the old Lathe of Heaven on the tube, appears the film prints are lost and can only be found on tape these days, like dune. But as we know, sometimes those prints only see the light when a collector dies.
@Greg. E-gat man. Bloody way to remember seeing Dune.

@Jim: There are two cuts of Blade Runner that stand above the rest, One is the Final Cut, and the other is the Work Print version that Scott had originally wanted to release. As with Dune, the studio cuts of both these films were butchered. In Blade Runners case it's lucky Scott was reasonable enough to go back when offered and even shoot new scenes for the final cut version.

@Nima: The Tales from Earthsea animated film was directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro. He's gotten a lot of criticism for that title in particular and his abilities as an artist/animator. I still haven't watched it, so I'm sorta curious what non anime geeks might think of the work through the lens of a Le guin reader.

And well, since were listing, here is a revised list for me in no particular order.
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Recent ones that blew my mind are "Predestination" (based on Robert Heinlein's short story "All You Zombies"), "Ex Machina" and "The Man From Earth" (screenplay written by scifictionist Jerome Bixby).

message 35: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin Flores wrote: "Recent ones that blew my mind are "Predestination" (based on Robert Heinlein's short story "All You Zombies"), "Ex Machina" and "The Man From Earth" (screenplay written by scifictionist Jerome Bixby)."

I liked Ex Machina - a little sci-fi creepiness!

message 36: by Rion (last edited May 27, 2016 08:56PM) (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 7 comments I recently just finished reading Moorcock's Behold the Man, which made me think of The Man From Earth film. Ironically, the film makes me recall a scathing review I read about it. Have you ever read a review that was so intelligently vexed that you couldn't help just say wow.
(view spoiler)
The film was poorly produced, directed and cast with what appears to be a non existent budget, but I thought it was interesting none the less. To me that's proof in how far an interesting premise and conclusion can take you.

message 37: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Hi Rion. :-) That's what makes The Man From Earth extra special IMO. One can argue that the entire film is just about a bunch of people talking but they still managed to turn it into a wonderful, thought-provoking movie. Definitely one of the best films (scifi or not) I've ever seen! :-) BTW, I need to check out that book you mentioned. :-)

message 38: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme Being a sucker for giant monsters...Godzilla: Final Wars is at the head of just about any of my movie list. I enjoyed Pacific Rim, but a Godzilla cameo would have put it right to the top of the list. I really liked the original King Kong and felt the 2005 remake was very credible to the franchise (the 1976 version...not so much). Staying away from anything previously mentioned, three of my favorite "popcorn" flicks are Demolition Man (1993), Time Bandits (1981) and They Live (1988), not to mention anything Star Trek.

message 39: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments I'd like to share this list here: http://www.indiewire.com/2015/05/the-...

message 40: by Gav451 (new)

Gav451 | 14 comments Damon wrote: "There is an animated Earthsea movie."

Terrible film. We are enormous Ghibli fans in the house and in that film so little happens you forget it while you are watching it.

message 41: by Gav451 (new)

Gav451 | 14 comments The Matrix, while the second two ruined its legacy a bit the first one is a cracker.

The remade Star Trek movies are all huge fun.

I like Aliens better than Alien and Predator 2 better than the first. I think Danny Glover is the coolest in that film.

I too think that the 5th element is an underrated classic and we should not neglect or forget Brazil.

The Hellboy films? are they sci-fi or have I wandered into fantasy.

message 42: by Gav451 (new)

Gav451 | 14 comments Hunger Games, a well made dystopian future film that is surprisingly close to the book.

message 43: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Gav451 wrote: "The Matrix, while the second two ruined its legacy a bit the first one is a cracker.

The remade Star Trek movies are all huge fun.

I like Aliens better than Alien and Predator 2 better than the f..."

While I wasn't fond of the Messianic element of the third Matrix film, I did enjoy its huge battle scene! But the first film in that trilogy was hard to beat and I would agree that it is the best of the three.

I prefer Predator to Predator 2 but I do like them both. I love the music score for Predator as well! I might agree with you about Alien vs Aliens but the first film was more a horror flick and I think it worked well as that while the second film was more of a military one. I wasn't fond of the third film and I don't think it's worth mentioning what came after that....

Agreed about Fifth Element and Brazil! But the ST reboot? Meh. Haven't seen the Hellboy films yet so can't comment on those.

message 44: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (goodreadscomdaniel_robledo) I could easily say movies like Matrix, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Terminator 2, but one of my absolute favorite movies ever is District 9. Not many people have seen it, but it is a beautiful, gritty, and action packed science fiction film.

message 45: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Mar 18, 2017 05:56AM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Daniel wrote: "I could easily say movies like Matrix, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Terminator 2, but one of my absolute favorite movies ever is District 9. Not many people have seen it, but it is a beautiful, gritty..."

I liked that film too, even though I'm not into eating prawns. ;)

message 46: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments So many favourite movies in this thread. Alien (1&2), Blade Runner (DC), Terminator, Predator, 5th Element......there's one film I can never remember the name of, which made me cry the first time I watched it: set in deep space, a small crew are ordered to jetisson the last garden pod/ ecospherepart. Anyway, one crew member/ Gardner/ biologist? Has to take drastic action to save the ecosphere....there may be a small robot as well. Can anyone recognise what film I'm talking about?

message 47: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "So many favourite movies in this thread. Alien (1&2), Blade Runner (DC), Terminator, Predator, 5th Element......there's one film I can never remember the name of, which made me cry the first time I..."

That would be Silent Running! There are three small robots in it. :)

message 48: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments Greg wrote: "Mel wrote: "So many favourite movies in this thread. Alien (1&2), Blade Runner (DC), Terminator, Predator, 5th Element......there's one film I can never remember the name of, which made me cry the ..."

Ah! Yes, Silent Running! Thanks :)

message 49: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Greg wrote: "Mel wrote: "So many favourite movies in this thread. Alien (1&2), Blade Runner (DC), Terminator, Predator, 5th Element......there's one film I can never remember the name of, which mad..."

You're welcome! :)

message 50: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Here's an article by Hari Kunzru from 2015 on the 50th anniversary of Dune (the book): Dune, 50 years on: how a science fiction novel changed the world. Comments on the Lynch film as well as Jodorowsky's plans for one and also mentions how much Star Wars was influenced by the book.