Herbal Medicine discussion

Adding your tinctures to your salves

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacksta (new)

Jacksta | 2 comments Lets say you want to add some of your St. Johns Wort tinc. to your salve. What methods have worked the best? For example just add it to the infused oil and beeswax as it is melting?- Wondering as I am making my Arnica and St. Johns Wort salves next week and have tinc. of them both.

message 2: by Tina (last edited Feb 25, 2008 10:15PM) (new)

Tina  (the_bean) | 3 comments I've added them to the oil base as it is heating, when you are adding your butters and before the waxes. I allow time to burn off the Alc/H20 so you don't have a water puddle of separation. I assume it may be better to so it before the wax. Not sure why but my gut tells me. This is for low amounts of tincture.

If you want to use more tincture per oil, Another option that just came to me but never tried it. before making your oil...add tincture to the dry herb (that you'll be using to make the oil base), just enough to moisten it so that it clumps together if you squeeze it between fingers. Spread out flat on a cookie sheet and dehydrate it, if you have one, or dry it in a gas oven, not electric, by putting it on low and keeping the door slightly open. The alcohol and water evaporate off but the tingure herb essence stays. (This is a good way to give herbs to people who can't tolerate alcohol or for animals) Then use that herb, infused with the tincture to make your oil.

Good luck
Bean